Question regarding the 7-Day RPG Contest

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Russ, please clarify part of your post. Your sentence about when you'll pay doesn't parse. Do you mean to say, "The winner gets $1000, which I will send by Paypal immediately once the week's up"? In which case, when do we get time to vote on things?

Everybody spends a week voting and then I send the prize money to the winner.

Last edited:

sheadunne

Explorer
Yay, scenario time.

Contestant A: Wins the vote.
Morrus: Sends $1000 to Contestent A
Morrus: Decides to publish Contestent B's game instead
Contestant B: Yay. Wait a minute . . .

Tally

Contestant A: $1000
Contestant B: $0
Morrus: $1,000,000*

*Exaggerated for humor.

Where's Contestant B's motivation? Contestant A has his money!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Where's Contestant B's motivation? Contestant A has his money!

B's motivation is that he or she might be A!

It isn't like the decision to give A the money is made *before* B submits. Everyone submits, there's a vote, and THEN we see who gets the money!

sheadunne

Explorer
B's motivation is that he or she might be A!

It isn't like the decision to give A the money is made *before* B submits. Everyone submits, there's a vote, and THEN we see who gets the money!

I think B's motivation is $1000 and getting published. Not one or the other. For instance, if there wasn't a $1000 prize, you would still get as many people contributing for the chance to get published. You could then reward those that actually get published. Or voting creates the top three games and Morrus picks the winner and publishes the game. He could then publish the other games as well, but without the possible crappy felling of having the best game (Contestant B) but someone else getting money for it (Contestant A). I've just never seen it done this way. It's like losing and then getting kicked in the teeth lol

sheadunne

Explorer
These are just general impressions. I'll probably submit something because it sounds like fun, which is enough motivation for me to do anything lol. Just struck me as odd from a theoretical stand point. My guess is the best entry will win because it is the best entry. :)

Bagpuss

Legend
I think the creative commons is an interesting one, as it means you don't mind the original author or anyone else making money off this if the thing really takes off.

Tallifer

Hero
Moved post from contest thread

Can one person enter more than one fantasy heartbreaker into this contest? <flips through binders full of half-baked ideas>

Stalker0

Legend
Can the writer continue to make updates to the property that enworld now owns?

Adding additional content, or polishing existing mechanics?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can the writer continue to make updates to the property that enworld now owns?

Adding additional content, or polishing existing mechanics?

Well not while voting is taking place, no. After that it'll either be getting published (in which case if it needs more work, I may well pay them to do it) or will be returned to them.

Remove ads