D&D 5E QUICK BARBARIAN BERSERKER FIX

GAMERSAVATAR

First Post
Read alot about the issues with the sub class and found this to be the simplest solutions.

1: get rid of exhaustion
2: during frenzy get an extra attack, not as a bonus action, so don't loss benefit on first round, and don't get penalized if you have feats or multi class other uses, and can benefit from dual wielding, hard to not imagine 2 axed berserker viking stereotype.
3: Using frenzy you don't get the rage DAMAGE RESISTANCE or frenzy uses 2 uses of rage instead.

the rest stays the same.

trade dam, for less tankiness...

Dausuul

Legend
The only issue I can see with the berserker is that it doesn't play nice with dual wielding. Otherwise it's fine. Frenzy is moderately weaker than the 3rd-level totem options; but Mindless Rage beats the everloving crap out of all of the 6th-level totem options. It's a wash.

I'd just change it to say that the bonus action from Frenzy can be used to attack with both weapons if you're dual wielding.

GAMERSAVATAR

First Post
The only issue I can see with the berserker is that it doesn't play nice with dual wielding. Otherwise it's fine. Frenzy is moderately weaker than the 3rd-level totem options; but Mindless Rage beats the everloving crap out of all of the 6th-level totem options. It's a wash.

I'd just change it to say that the bonus action from Frenzy can be used to attack with both weapons if you're dual wielding.

yeah what I was saying is the frenzy attack isn't going to count as a bonus action, its a full extra attack, problems with it as it is, is then there is no point having dual weapons they compete with the bonus action, also the not getting it the first round is messy mechanics in my book, plus there are many interesting feats a barbarian could take that again would use up the bonus action, and or if you multi classed, so as it is a totem barb, can really mimic mostly the current frenzy with feat or dual weapon etc. so what i suggest as a fix makes this sub shine on its own, without hindering other possible choices for the player to do with bonus action.

Endur

First Post
3: Using frenzy you don't get the rage DAMAGE RESISTANCE or frenzy uses 2 uses of rage instead.

If frenzy uses 2 uses of rage instead of exhaustion, this is a huge buff for the berserker.

If frenzy costs the damage resistance for the extra attack, this is a huge DPR buff for losing some tankiness.

Under either option, expect berserkers to have more DPS than any other player at the table (stats and magic items and feats being equal).

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally when I think barbarian, I don't thing two-weapon fighter. That requires too much skill, precision, and finesse. I see the Barbarian as the guy the picks up the biggest stick he can find and just bashes stuff. No skill, no efficiency, just messy, brutal attacks. In that sense, the frenzy makes more sense because you're getting that extra attack with the maul, greataxe, or greatsword. At least, that's my view.

GAMERSAVATAR

First Post
If frenzy uses 2 uses of rage instead of exhaustion, this is a huge buff for the berserker.

If frenzy costs the damage resistance for the extra attack, this is a huge DPR buff for losing some tankiness.

Under either option, expect berserkers to have more DPS than any other player at the table (stats and magic items and feats being equal).

yes likely at 3rd lvl that is true hes a berserker with either no DR or 1 frenzy battle per short rest, how ever with med armor or maybe 15-16 ac ,standard build ac, hes giving up tank for damage. hell have a limited amount of extra attacks, unlike fighter that with have 3 @11 all the time. its a short term boost for savage damage, but depending on how u go DR loss or double rages for it, its a cap. and with lower ac then fighters its way less tanky.

But you could both combine loss DR and 2 rages for a frenzy...for the extra attack, if you find it too much, but dont find it nersarry.

of the 2 choices loss of dr or using 2 rages, which would be considerer the greater sacrifice?

Last edited:

Remove ads