Quick & Dirty table tricks

Dear all,

Some months ago I had the very good idea to join Enworld, which I found useful to pillage and pleasant to read.

So I thought to give my very small contribution to the cause by suggesting a topic which could be useful to some of us DMs, because no one of us creators of small worlds can have enough of some quick&dirty tricks in the game.

The idea is to suggest here a selection of the most satisfying, funny, challenging and emotionally engaging scenes, ideas or scenarios you invented for your games that others can have benefit of.
We are not looking for that campaign ending, world shaking event that you could only truly appreciate if you followed the campaign and were attached to the players, instead what we need is quick and dirty scenes that can be dropped in the middle of an homebrew adventure, or even inspire the creation of one.

Just 2 rules:
make it quick: no lengthy scenarios, easily adopted by other like you;
proven quality only: please do suggest only those best moments that made your players giggle with roleplaingly pleasure, those who resisted the proof of the table.

My first one, only to settle the tone.

In the midst of a Thunderspire Labyrinth adventure, I got bored of another combat room with unnamed blood fiends in the Baphomet temple.

So I thought to spice up things a bit by having the good old enemies of my party, the Drow, infiltrating the temple, preceding the party in the room and setting up an ambush.
What rendered the scene good was the setup of the trap, which is repeatable in any drow infested campaign by changing the victim J

The players opened the doors and found out a blood demon laying on the floor in a strange posture.
They went investigating and found it screaming in an unknown language, apparently unwilling to rise.
They cast a comprehend language spell to understand it but they couldn’t make out the words nevertheless, words only vaguely understandable. What was happening was that the demon had been wrapped and glued to the floor by invisible spider web and its body had been infested by a bloodweb spider swarm, which also filled its mouth with webs.
The dying demon was crying out to warn the party for vengeance, I simulated this by speaking with a fist in my mouth, which made the players understand that something was afoot and that they could understand it if they just came a bit closer…

After some questions answered by some semiunderstandable words and some probing of the demon’s body, when the players finally understood that the words “I--- a –aap” meant “IT’S A TRAP!” the demon finally died unleashing a torrent of bloodweb spiders on the character who went nearer to better understand it, who became entangled by the same webs while the spiders reached out for his mouth, while the drow ambush started…from there, a normal combat erupted, but I have to say it had an impact on the players.

Now, your turn…

Remove ads