QUICK HELP NEEDED! Session in progress. Longevity potion

comareddin

First Post
One of my players claim that there is an item called a longevity potion and that if you drink this once, when you reach medium age you get the bonus to mental stats but your physical stats remain the same. İs there such a potion-what is its price and how many times should it be drinken.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
I don't remember ever reading about such a potion (or elixer) in 3.x

IIRC there was a potion of longevity in 1st ed.

If the player can't give you a source though I wouldn't let him have one.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My advice is to always make the player produce the source and give you a copy (at least a photocopy of the relevant stuff) whenever he wants to use something that isn't in the books you, as DM, normally use.
Until he can come up with the info on that Potion of Longevity and give you time to determine how it fits into your campaign, don't let him have it.

By the way, I believe the potion of longevity just knocked 1d12 years off your character's age. I don't believe it expicitly said anything about allowing you to get age bonuses to mental stats while protecting your physical stats from penalties.

green slime

First Post
The potion of Longevity existed in 1e (and maybe in 2e), but has not reappeared in any 3.x WotC product that I know of. The potion of Longevity as it was described in 1e did indeed knock a certain amount of aging off. But you ran a cumulative risk (1% per previous potion, IIRC) of having the potion backfire and reverse all previous uses of the potion (and thus perhaps even dying of old age).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Keep in mind also that unless you've got a specific rule for your campaign that any magic item is available in any shop, that's not the case: it's entirely your decision as a DM what items are and are not available. You want to keep items at an availability level that's fun for both you and players.

Daniel

Staffan

Legend
green slime said:
The potion of Longevity existed in 1e (and maybe in 2e), but has not reappeared in any 3.x WotC product that I know of. The potion of Longevity as it was described in 1e did indeed knock a certain amount of aging off. But you ran a cumulative risk (1% per previous potion, IIRC) of having the potion backfire and reverse all previous uses of the potion (and thus perhaps even dying of old age).
There was also the Elixir of Youth, which IIRC reduced your age by a smaller amount (1d4+1 years instead of 1d12), but didn't have any chance of a "misfire".

Remove ads