• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Question

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I have to agree - my PHB says "bonus to Will saves, but suffers a..."

Darklone's making up rules.

Smurf - I like the concept of continuous saves. Interesting to see how it works in practice.

I can't recall who suggested it, but I like an alternative - if you fail the first save, the spell is in effect for the duration. Each round, you make a save to see if you can move for that round.

Rather than making a save each round to end the spell, which just sucks.

-Hyp.

MadScientist

First Post
I play a barb and I'm 99% confident that the rage bonus is to will saves in general, even in the PHB. Athough, I don't have my books in front of me.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Darklone said:
He is held, thus cannot take any actions (DMG about page 80).

Second: Rage gives no bonus to will save. It gives a bonus to will saves against fear.

Held is on page 84, and specifies that you can take no physical actions. Flying into a rage, manifesting psionic powers, or casting a spell with no V, S, or M component are all allowed.

The Barbarian's Rage ability grants a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and does not limit the specific kinds of Will save it gives a bonus against.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:

Held is on page 84, and specifies that you can take no physical actions. Flying into a rage, manifesting psionic powers, or casting a spell with no V, S, or M component are all allowed.

The Barbarian's Rage ability grants a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and does not limit the specific kinds of Will save it gives a bonus against.
Correct. But it does not allow you to retroactively make saving throws that you've already failed.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The notion that hold spells will allow a new save every round come from Dragon Mag. They discuss the changes to the 3 H-spells (Haste, Hold Person and Harm) and the P spell (Polymorph).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
KaeYoss said:
The notion that hold spells will allow a new save every round come from Dragon Mag. They discuss the changes to the 3 H-spells (Haste, Hold Person and Harm) and the P spell (Polymorph).

First, #3. I wouldn't allow someone to be unburnt from a Fireball because they cast a Cat's Grace on themselves afterwards.

Second, the hold person "continuous save" topic was in this thread. I see that subject discussed on the second and third pages.

Andargor

Last edited:

Darklone

Yaddayaddayadda! I finally got an answer :D

So the will save to fear effects is one of the nice effects of different PHB printings. Thanks! :D

Remove ads