Quick Question

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I have to agree - my PHB says "bonus to Will saves, but suffers a..."

Darklone's making up rules.

Smurf - I like the concept of continuous saves. Interesting to see how it works in practice.

I can't recall who suggested it, but I like an alternative - if you fail the first save, the spell is in effect for the duration. Each round, you make a save to see if you can move for that round.

Rather than making a save each round to end the spell, which just sucks.

-Hyp.

MadScientist

First Post
I play a barb and I'm 99% confident that the rage bonus is to will saves in general, even in the PHB. Athough, I don't have my books in front of me.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Darklone said:
He is held, thus cannot take any actions (DMG about page 80).

Second: Rage gives no bonus to will save. It gives a bonus to will saves against fear.

Held is on page 84, and specifies that you can take no physical actions. Flying into a rage, manifesting psionic powers, or casting a spell with no V, S, or M component are all allowed.

The Barbarian's Rage ability grants a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and does not limit the specific kinds of Will save it gives a bonus against.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:

Held is on page 84, and specifies that you can take no physical actions. Flying into a rage, manifesting psionic powers, or casting a spell with no V, S, or M component are all allowed.

The Barbarian's Rage ability grants a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, and does not limit the specific kinds of Will save it gives a bonus against.
Correct. But it does not allow you to retroactively make saving throws that you've already failed.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The notion that hold spells will allow a new save every round come from Dragon Mag. They discuss the changes to the 3 H-spells (Haste, Hold Person and Harm) and the P spell (Polymorph).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
KaeYoss said:
The notion that hold spells will allow a new save every round come from Dragon Mag. They discuss the changes to the 3 H-spells (Haste, Hold Person and Harm) and the P spell (Polymorph).

First, #3. I wouldn't allow someone to be unburnt from a Fireball because they cast a Cat's Grace on themselves afterwards.

Second, the hold person "continuous save" topic was in this thread. I see that subject discussed on the second and third pages.

Andargor

Last edited:

Darklone

Yaddayaddayadda! I finally got an answer :D

So the will save to fear effects is one of the nice effects of different PHB printings. Thanks! :D

Remove ads