• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

R1: To the Aid of Falx - Reviews?

Garnfellow

Explorer
dragonlordofpoondari said:
Someone should ask Frank (maybe on the Dragonsfoot boards) if this inspired addition was an invention of his or of Paul's.

That's a huge surprise to me -- a Samuel Johnson reference sounded right up Frank's alley. For that matter, there are a few other changes made to the supermodule version that evidently were radically different than anything in the original text. A major character, for example, switches sides at a climatic point. I thought that was a very Mentzerian twist, but turns out Frank had nothing to do with it.

I traded emails with Frank about this many ages ago, back when I was on AOL. IIRC, his take on the supermodule was something like, he didn't much care for the changes, but he thought Paul was in a tough situation and probably did the best he could stitching the modules together.

Garnfellow said:
there are a few other changes made to the supermodule version that evidently were radically different than anything in the original text. A major character, for example, switches sides at a climatic point. I thought that was a very Mentzerian twist, but turns out Frank had nothing to do with it.

Hmm. Interesting. Judging from these two changes alone, I like the revisions Paul made (really must stop making puns). Any other disparities you happen to be aware of, off the cuff, Garnfellow?

In the original modules,
can the party inadvertently destroy the demiplane by casting too many high-level spells? I thought that part was really cool. It makes the final battle that much tougher: do the PCs go without their uber-spells, risking defeat; or do they cast their uber-spells, risking total annihilation?

Joshua,
I looked at both modules, and I couldn't find anything about high level spells having that kind of effect (in I12 or R3). If the Phoenix is dispatched, however, the ensuing conflagration also sets off the Egg itself, which will destroy the demi-plane. This contingency is present in both modules.

khyron1144

First Post
I doubt this is any significant help, but I recall reading a somewhat old issue of Dragon that had a review of the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule. It seemed generally positive.

khyron1144 said:
I doubt this is any significant help, but I recall reading a somewhat old issue of Dragon that had a review of the Egg of the Phoenix supermodule. It seemed generally positive.

Dragon 133. Review by Ken Rolston ...
"Of all of the better-known designers of AD&D game modules, Frank Mentzer comes closest to creating scenarios in which the protagonists behave as if the game's rule books were physics texts describing the laws governing the workings of the universe ... snip ... As a result, the distinctive feature of Mentzer's scenarios is that no matter how bizarre and offbeat their conceptions, they are all peculiarly persuasive and logical, as long as you accept the rules of the AD&D game. Furhtermore, they are often pretty weird and strikingly original ... snip ... given what is suggested about the infinite variations in Outer Planes, and the peculiar logics that may form the physical laws there, the common availability of planar-travel magic is bound to place adventurers in some very strange settings ... snip ... I have my reservations about the final scenario which, despite having a plausible game rationale and logical self-consistency, strikes me as gross and overly busy rather than lean and elegant. Individually, however the other scenarios are original, challenging, and entertaining, particularly in their exploitation of the peculiar logic of the AD&D game universe. However, the assemling of these various former tournament scenarios into an epic campaing is not very successful ... snip ... were not originally designed as a sequence by Mentzer, in fact, they had nothing to do with one another at all. Developer Paul Jaquays was given the difficult task of taking the diparte pieces and providing the narrative glue to join them into an epic campaign ... snip ... What went wrong? We have some basically strong scenarios by a clever and original designer, and additional design and development by another first-class designer. In my opinion, however, publishing these scenarios as an epic campaing was a bad idea, though I can understand the logic behind the decision. Epic campaings and campaign supplements sell well, while anthologies of scenarios sell less, and an anthology of tournament designs sells even less ... snip ... There's some very good stuff in here: nine sessions or more of solid and occasionally brilliant material. The tournament-based adventures may be the strongest of Mentzer's peculiarly original AD&D game designs. However, the campaign frame and the production quality are not satisfactory. I can recommend much of the distinctive wit and plausibility of the tournament scenarios, but fussy campaign DMs will find a lot to pick at."

khyron1144

First Post
Dragon 133. Review by Ken Rolston ...
"Of all of the better-known designers of AD&D game modules, Frank Mentzer comes closest to creating scenarios in which the protagonists behave as if the game's rule books were physics texts describing the laws governing the workings of the universe ... snip ... As a result, the distinctive feature of Mentzer's scenarios is that no matter how bizarre and offbeat their conceptions, they are all peculiarly persuasive and logical, as long as you accept the rules of the AD&D game. Furhtermore, they are often pretty weird and strikingly original ... snip ... given what is suggested about the infinite variations in Outer Planes, and the peculiar logics that may form the physical laws there, the common availability of planar-travel magic is bound to place adventurers in some very strange settings ... snip ... I have my reservations about the final scenario which, despite having a plausible game rationale and logical self-consistency, strikes me as gross and overly busy rather than lean and elegant. Individually, however the other scenarios are original, challenging, and entertaining, particularly in their exploitation of the peculiar logic of the AD&D game universe. However, the assemling of these various former tournament scenarios into an epic campaing is not very successful ... snip ... were not originally designed as a sequence by Mentzer, in fact, they had nothing to do with one another at all. Developer Paul Jaquays was given the difficult task of taking the diparte pieces and providing the narrative glue to join them into an epic campaign ... snip ... What went wrong? We have some basically strong scenarios by a clever and original designer, and additional design and development by another first-class designer. In my opinion, however, publishing these scenarios as an epic campaing was a bad idea, though I can understand the logic behind the decision. Epic campaings and campaign supplements sell well, while anthologies of scenarios sell less, and an anthology of tournament designs sells even less ... snip ... There's some very good stuff in here: nine sessions or more of solid and occasionally brilliant material. The tournament-based adventures may be the strongest of Mentzer's peculiarly original AD&D game designs. However, the campaign frame and the production quality are not satisfactory. I can recommend much of the distinctive wit and plausibility of the tournament scenarios, but fussy campaign DMs will find a lot to pick at."

Wow thanks much. That is exactly what I was referring to.

RFisher

Explorer
Ken Rolston said:
Of all of the better-known designers of AD&D game modules, Frank Mentzer comes closest to creating scenarios in which the protagonists behave as if the game's rule books were physics texts describing the laws governing the workings of the universe

Heh! That seems right on. I remember Frank saying that he believed everything in an adventure should have a basis in the rules. Although he included a disclaimer for people--like Gary--who'd mastered the game.

I looked at both modules, and I couldn't find anything about high level spells having that kind of effect (in I12 or R3).
Huh. Must be my faulty memory. I thought there was something in I12 about counting up the spell-levels cast during the final confrontation (including
the prismatic sphere, etc. cast by Doc
) to see if the demiplane ruptured from the strain.

If that's not in the module, then I'm adding it. :p (Assuming I ever run the thing.)

Remove ads