D&D General RA Salvatore Wants To Correct Drizzt’s Racist Tropes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an interview with Polygon, the author talks about how the drow are currently being redefined in D&D, and how he wants to be part of that process.
”But on the other hand, if the drow are being portrayed as evil, that’s a trope that has to go away, be buried under the deepest pit, and never brought out again. I was unaware of that. I admit it. I was oblivious.

Drow are now split into (at least) three types — the familiar Udadrow of Menzoberranzan, the arctic-themed Aevendrow, and the jungle-themed Lorendrow. Salvatore's new novel, Starlight Enclave, helps to expand the drows' role in the narrative.
In 2020 WotC made a public statement about how they would be treating drow and orcs going forward -- "Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. "

56EAA729-D9DA-4E25-ADC3-413844BA2021.jpeg

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't think that Salvatore needs to spend all his time face-down in D&D forums -- in fact, I think that would be a bad idea for multiple reasons -- but being unaware that his portrayals of the drow have led to them all being collectively* described as psychopaths is pretty shocking.

* Minus the scrappy rebels in play at seemingly every other D&D table for decades.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Okay... I'm glad he thinks it should be buried in the deepest pit and never shown again.

But he WROTE about Menzoberranzan. About the Drow. For DECADES. And he was "Oblivious" to the fact that they were presented as an evil race?

Oblivious to the allegorical dark skin=evil and women in power=evil I -might- accept he didn't really think too hard on. But not knowing they were "Portrayed as Evil"?

Don't buy that for a heartbeat.

Laurefindel

Legend
Okay... I'm glad he thinks it should be buried in the deepest pit and never shown again.

But he WROTE about Menzoberranzan. About the Drow. For DECADES. And he was "Oblivious" to the fact that they were presented as an evil race?

Oblivious to the allegorical dark skin=evil and women in power=evil I -might- accept he didn't really think too hard on. But not knowing they were "Portrayed as Evil"?

Don't buy that for a heartbeat.
I don't think he was ignorant and oblivious to drows being depicted (by him amongst others) as irrevocably evil, but rather that he was oblivious to the fact that this was damageable.

I've got to admit that I was the same. Drows had black skin. Drows were evil. This was fully assumed but for me, they were two different and unrelated statements that just happened to be both true for the drows. What never occurred to me is that people with black skin would see a correlation and be hurt by it (not to mention the ethical implications of an always-evil society, regardless of their appearance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases