• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race bonus looks like its going to suck :P

Meophist

First Post
If I were building things, I would say yes. Stack it with the other +1 for an actual +1 bonus, overlay the -1 to negate it. I think that's perfectly fine.

However, since I know that's not how it's going to be, "floating" would probably mean to a specific selection of scores, probably 2.
Okay, I just wanted to be clear on what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

I don't really see a free-floating racial bonus happening either. Since there's going to be both racial and class ability bonuses, it makes more sense to just give the player a +1 on character creation, but if you think of it that way, might as well just give them a higher point-buy or something. A restricted-floating bonus makes a bit more sense in the system that's been described so far.

Ellington

First Post
I was never a fan of how every race except humans got +2 to two attributes and no penalty in 4th. It felt wrong, even if humans were still a good race.

+2 to two attributes and -2 to a third sounds fine to me. You can still play an unusual character like a halfling barbarian or a half-orc wizard even if it's not mechanically optimal. You get hipster credit for an obscure build and who says a little challenge can't be fun :)?

Grimmjow

First Post
Ah somthing i just found (in the classes sections of the DDN stuff on this website) says that they dont want classes to be forced down to one or ttwo atributes, meaning i guess (hopfuly) it wont relly matter, you could be a halfling warrior and use your charisma as your main stat. (if im understanding what they are saying correctly)

Even if... stats are rolled these days. And halflings did not suck as fighters in 3rd edition. The best fighter I´ve seen in 3rd was my brother´s halfling... Not terribly optimized... still dishing out great amounts of damage and beeing very hard to hit.

S

Sunseeker

Well, this type of thing only matters to roll-players...and optimizers, and at the far end the cheaters. So a character will have an ability of 16 instead of 18. So what? So they won't be able to to ''Super Awesome Mega Mondo Uber Damage'' with every single hit....why is that bad. The normal halfling barbarian will do seven points of damage with an attack, the 'other one' must do fifteen points of damage per attack. And if the other one can't do the cool damage they are no 'fun' to play...and that is all roll play yes....as you can be a dwarf cleric with a wisdom of 10 and still role-play play a 'dwarven party animal type'.

I hope they bring back the 2E type limits...

To be fair, even in the non-optimized world, there's a significant difference between 7 and 15. But honestly if someone is building a halfling barbarian, then optimization shouldn't be their primary concern anyway.

S

Sunseeker

It's +1/-1 to two specific stats due to race and +1 to stat from class.

At least that's what it was last time we saw it. I do like the +1 from class, but I'm still gonna miss any sort of floating +1, that was good customization, which Wizards obviously realized when they retconned all the 4e races to have it. It's too bad they're backtracking from that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Race bonuses suck anyway.

Real racial features are low light vision, claws, increased land speed, poison resistance, and breath attacks.

S

Sunseeker

Race bonuses suck anyway.

Real racial features are low light vision, claws, increased land speed, poison resistance, and breath attacks.

I certainly hope racial features will be there as well, and I could agree to seeing a more diverse palette of racial features and no stat bonuses at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads