D&D 5E Race Class Combos, Design, Roleplaying and the fear of the new

hejtmane

Explorer
On different races other than Human that is what I do rolled stats but differently you rol 4d6 drop the lowest do 4 sets take the best set that works for you that way I get most characters close together they usally get a set higher than point buy and I get non optimized classes. Hence I see a greater diversity of classes not always optimial classes

Dragon Born EK/wizard (Divination and Lucky Feat)
Asmair EK Polearm/GWM
Dwark Cleric/Monk
Firblog Barbarian Totem
Wizard Elf
Warlock Started Gensi (now Warforged part of the story line in my campaign he intiated)
Socerer/Cleric Half-Elf Drow

Note: I allow Human Variant and still there we go not one human

The most Optimize is the Half-elf but chosen for another reason

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Personally, I would love for racial modifiers to be dropped completely. Tie them to classes if you must but I'd be more than happy to see no "starting modifiers" on either side of the fence. Races should be represented with interesting and appropriate racial features. All high elves knowing one cantrip isn't very special in elf society, but it says something about their culture far better than a +2 dex or +1 int ever did.

Which I think would go further to promoting good role-playing, since now we have definitive elements of that race's culture outlined in the book. It may be a generic element such as "Due to the High Elf drive for knowledge, they all start play knowing 1 cantrip." but that can be fluffed in different directions. Do all High Elves have a natural lust for knowledge? Or is there a more institutional drive for knowledge? Is it genetic? Cultural? The DM or published campaign in question can fill in those holes.

But it's a hekuva lot more interesting than a stat boost.

Celebrim

Legend
But it's a hekuva lot more interesting than a stat boost.

That's possibly true, but it's a hekuva lot less likely and obvious than stat differences. It's fairly easy to justify most stat differences from physical differences in the species in question. Is it heavily built, or slender? Is it tall or short?

It would be really odd if there were no stat differences at all between 3' tall 30lb humanoids and 7' tall 300lb humanoids.

Indeed, even your suggestion while it does suggest flavor (the race is 'magical') is highly unlikely from the flavor you gave it. Which is more likely, "Due to the High Elf thirst for knowledge, they all start play with +1 intelligence." or "Due to the High Elf thirst for knowledge, they all start play knowing 1 cantrip." One suggests a very broad based inquisitiveness that manifests in knowing more stuff, regardless of the stuff we are talking about, and the other suggests that every elf in their background has been exposed to the same stuff (that is, every elf, regardless of background at some point encounters magical knowledge). And which is more likely to make one want to play an elf?

I'm not at all saying you can't do things with racial abilities, or even that it is wrong, but I do think that it is more intrusive that stat adjustments. There is a trade off between doing things that are highly flavorable and thereby imposing flavor on the campaign for anyone that wants to use the content, and doing things that are less flavorable but thereby leaving much to the interpretation of the individual campaign. I would imagine that most campaigns that care about questions of nature vs. nurture have already got some ideas about how to fill in the holes and where a races usual attributes come from, and really don't want the mechanics or flavor of the edition du jour to change what is already settled lore within the campaign. Speaking from experience, it feels like having someone try to force their house rules down your throat when you have major changes in lore or the mechanical correspondence to the lore.

Or in short, elves might already be too established of a thing to meddle with much.

But, ok, sell me on the idea. Establish some ideas for races that have racial features that are mechanically interesting and evocative and don't involve attribute differences, and then show me that this avoids the concern over "racial essentialism". For example, is getting a bonus cantrip more of a big deal if you are a spell-caster, or more of a big deal if you are not, and in that case does it push the race toward one sort of class choice or the other?

No, it's my personal issue. I view it in the sci-fi prism; we exagerrate or minimize certain aspects of humanity to explore what it is to be human.

...but .... I struggle with that, because I get caught up in how weird it is ... to ... not ... be ... human. Sort of like "hard sci fi," which is to say, "Aliens aren't like us, man, they don't even think like we do."

But that's why I prefer playing humans, while I understand those that prefer not playing humans. Chocolate, butter pecan.
Lemme put it this way. I don't think elves/dwarves/etc. should even be thought of as "not human" in the SF sense. They're culturally different, but not biologically or innately-psychologically different in any major way.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
At a certain point, mechanical support of race/class combinations turns those combinations into de facto combinations in the game. Instead of moving away from the Gygaxian model of racial essentialism, we move back toward it. In addition, the idea that the lore/mechanics must be mutually reinforcing appears, to me, to necessarily result in a weird ouroboros argument where the lore reflects the mechanical changes, which reflects the lore, which reflects the mechanical changes, and so on until all you see is turtles, man.

I think I see. This is why we have Ranger identity crisis. Rangers were originally human warriors with special abilities (Aragorn).

Then 2e game comes out Human warriors with stealth magic and woodland theme.

Then came a dual wielding drow ranger in canonical fiction.

Then 3e everyone can be a ranger and they can dual wield melee weapons. Also elves are woodsy so they need archery goodies and elves have to be the best at that stuff.

It is wierdly self referential in a Kirk Lazarus kind of way.

Remove ads