• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race for Rogue - which is best ?

Istar

First Post
Forked from: Eladrin Rogue Questions - skills and feats ?

Istar said:
Everyone has been really helpful.

"Rogue Weapon Mastery" high crit 2D10 and 3D10 must be a no brainer on 18 to 20 crits.

Man Daggermaster rocks when you start adding it all up.

And 20 Dex at Level 1 is brilliant.

Does any other race make for a better Daggermaster Brawny Rogue than Eladrin ??

I am thinking this fey step aint quite as hot as it looked at first.

Is the Halfling defensive re-roll quite good, I cant quite get used to the concept of a Brutal Scoundrel Halfling pushing people about and knocing them down, do they have any penalties for their small size.

ie. I cant imagine a halfling knocking a Titan on its back, and I would assume a larger sized rogue to be more useful in the Brutal Scoundrel field.

So do most people go for an Elven Rogue simply for the re-roll opportunity ?

I am assuming the Eladrin, Halfling, Elf are the most advantageous rogues due to their +2 to Dex.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
So do most people go for an Elven Rogue simply for the re-roll opportunity ?

That's a big reason, but not the only one. You also get a Wisdom Boost, which is good for Perception (ie, searching for traps), you can move an extra square to position yourself for a flank, Low Light vision is decent if you're sneaking (and only one race gets better vision), Wild Step and roup Awareness are both pretty good for Rogues, too.

If you're a Brutal Scoundrel, an Elven Rogue could dump Charisma and keep Wisdom up instead, without losing much.

DracoSuave

First Post
Drow is always good, the racials are rogualicious, and even if you don't bother with the Cha bonus and go brutal scoundrel, the Drow make for some good power hitting with crossbow technologies.

scarik

First Post
For PHB races anything with +dex is good, I would Say Elf and Halfling are better than Eladrin.

If you include Dragon Magazine then Gnolls are good Rogues, about Halfling calibur.

If you can use the MM, then Bugbear is the Rogue King.

Istar

First Post
Drow is always good, the racials are rogualicious, and even if you don't bother with the Cha bonus and go brutal scoundrel, the Drow make for some good power hitting with crossbow technologies.

What are the Ability modifiers for this Race, cant seem to find the notes.
Also cant find "Cloud of Darkness" info.

A coward from way back I quite like the idea of sneak attacks with a ranged weapon, and also the 15% crit effect to be able to get a shot off with the Crossbow also.

In doing this extra shot can you use one of your normal powes on it ?

If anyone has the Race details for Drow any chance they could scan and e-mail to me at paul.magill@godfreyhirst.co.nz (cheecky aye, but maybe worth a crack)

themilkman

First Post
What are the Ability modifiers for this Race, cant seem to find the notes.
Also cant find "Cloud of Darkness" info.

A coward from way back I quite like the idea of sneak attacks with a ranged weapon, and also the 15% crit effect to be able to get a shot off with the Crossbow also.

In doing this extra shot can you use one of your normal powes on it ?

If anyone has the Race details for Drow any chance they could scan and e-mail to me at paul.magill@godfreyhirst.co.nz (cheecky aye, but maybe worth a crack)

The Drow information is in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. I think that scanning it in and e-mailing it to you would be a little too copyright infringementy, but I'll answer some of your questions...

Cloud of Darkness is an encounter power that Drow have to create small areas that are completely obscured and blind creatures within them. Blind creatures grant CA, and obscuring allows for stealth checks, so this is good for rogues.

Drow get a bunch of nice bonuses to crossbows, particularly hand crossbows. They also get a feat which lets you make ranged attacks in melee range without provoking opportunity attacks, which is pretty cool. At some point, you're going to have to decide if you want to be more melee focused (and favor your dagger) or more ranged focused (and favor your hand crossbow). Dread fang (in Martial Power) is a paragon path for Drow Rogue that offers some cool crossbow powers, but it's going to lock you out of those nice Daggermaster path features.

The bonus attack that you get from Two-Fisted Shooter is a ranged basic attack, so you can't use any powers with it.

unan oranis

First Post
the halfling rogue in our party fares well;

their size plays into the artful dodger and at least one of the rogue powers requires your opponents to be larger than you (close quarters, very useful)

In the case of titan tripping I'd say shoelaces tied together?

Cadfan

First Post
There is no "best."

Rogues have good at wills. Humans get more of them. This is useful. They also have feats and skills, which of course never hurt a rogue.

Elves can shift over rough terrain, which is very useful.

Halflings have dex/cha bonuses, and good skill boosts. They can also stack a bunch of AC improvements until they safely ignore most OAs.

Eladrin teleport, which is like getting a superior version of Tumble at level 1.

Remove ads