D&D General Race Has No Mechanics. What do you play?

And now you've finally got it! :)

That's been my whole point all along: having multiple species without actual differences means why bother having more than one.
I've understood the entire time, I just don't agree.

But I'm saying that the Story part of the game will automatically create differences outside the bounds of mechanics.

You're saying the story IS mechanics. If a story makes one creature or clothing slightly different than another, that's mechanics because it has meaning in the story.

We disagree.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've understood the entire time, I just don't agree.

But I'm saying that the Story part of the game will automatically create differences outside the bounds of mechanics.
I'm not disputing this; and sometimes those story-created differences will remain outside those bounds. With something big enough that it affects an entire species, however, that's not likely.

What I'm saying is two things: a) that once a story-created difference affects anything mechanical e.g. an action resolution then that difference has moved inside the bounds of mechanics; and b) that story-created differences affecting mechanics is far more commonplace than some might expect, because action resolution happens constantly even when you don't realize it.
You're saying the story IS mechanics. If a story makes one creature or clothing slightly different than another, that's mechanics because it has meaning in the story.
Not quite. I'm saying "that's mechanics" once that slight difference affects anything mechanical such as action resolution. Even a significant difference in height or size will inevitably reflect in mechanics at some point when someone tries to reach something (benefits to the taller) or squeeze into and-or move within a tight space (benefits to the smaller)

Aldarc

Legend
I'm not disputing this; and sometimes those story-created differences will remain outside those bounds. With something big enough that it affects an entire species, however, that's not likely.

What I'm saying is two things: a) that once a story-created difference affects anything mechanical e.g. an action resolution then that difference has moved inside the bounds of mechanics; and b) that story-created differences affecting mechanics is far more commonplace than some might expect, because action resolution happens constantly even when you don't realize it.

Not quite. I'm saying "that's mechanics" once that slight difference affects anything mechanical such as action resolution. Even a significant difference in height or size will inevitably reflect in mechanics at some point when someone tries to reach something (benefits to the taller) or squeeze into and-or move within a tight space (benefits to the smaller)
People understand what you are saying just fine. However, most people here seem to be disagreeing with you. There is nothing gained by conflating the "fiction" with the "mechanics" or trying to erase distinctions between them (likely for your own TTRPG aesthetic preferences) as you have been doing repeatedly in this thread. If you can't tell those two things apart, then there is no discussion to be had. The discussion becomes dead on arrival.

I know what you're saying. I don't agree with the premise.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You think it's odd that someone called you out on providing incorrect information?
I just think it's odd you bothered to tell me without telling the person for whom the information would actually matter. I mean, if all you wanted was a finger point and a Ha-Ha!!! moment... I guess you feel like you got that? But it doesn't actually do anything or help anyone. But you do you.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I just think it's odd you bothered to tell me without telling the person for whom the information would actually matter. I mean, if all you wanted was a finger point and a Ha-Ha!!! moment... I guess you feel like you got that? But it doesn't actually do anything or help anyone. But you do you.
It is I think reasonable to presume the person who asked the question, @HaroldTheHobbit , would be watching and would see my post. But you're right that I could have been more clear.

If no mechanics are attached, dwarf fighter as a first character, random ancestry or whatever seems like it's cool afterwards. That's pretty much why my Spelljammer character is a plasmoid: I picked it primarily for role-playing/cosmetic reasons.

I like having mechanics attached to choice of race/kindred/species, but I think I'd be okay making cosmetic choices.

Remove ads