• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racecraft- Players making their own races... Now with an exciting offer!

ARandomGod

First Post
Vlos said:
03) Peripheral Vision (3), seems too cheap. Not being able to be sneak attacked is big, thus would possibly boost back to 4. If you think about it, its a 8th level rogue ability? I would maybe put in the level +4 wording similar to Improve Uncanny Dodge. Someone 4 or more levels higher, can probably still sneak up and flank you.

I've agreed with you on this... it should be a 4 point ability. It's just too good as a +3 alone. Although I still think making it a +4 for most types of races and a +3 for types with a different vision penalty is a good flavor.

Vlos said:
04) Winged. You have most other "modes of movement" so add flight by granting wings. Fly at half land movement rate, poor maneuverability. Then also add other Traits to increase speed (equal land movement, twice movement, etc) also add Traits to increase maneuverability. Maybe 1 point for each class.

Ah, winged. Yes, I chime in as another vote for winged. Even though it too would/should be a pretty costly ability. Starting it out at 4 just for the base flight alone, and then adding in traights that can increase speed and/or maneuverability would do just the trick.

Additionally you could add a flaw that only the winged could take, "glider", which would make it so that they can't actually fly at all, but only glide.

~Joseph~

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Ah, winged. Yes, I chime in as another vote for winged. Even though it too would/should be a pretty costly ability. Starting it out at 4 just for the base flight alone, and then adding in traights that can increase speed and/or maneuverability would do just the trick.

For the Fly ability, I think it was very well done in the "Races of the Wild", Wizards designed a flying race (I can't remember the name) who's flying ability increases with HD#, if memory serves (I'm doing this from memory after skimming it in the book store) I think they only got movement rate after 10 HD, might be something you could look at for a template.

I also have to give cudos to Wizards, it's one of the most unique and well designed abilities I've seen them do in a long time.

Breakstone

First Post
New update, folks! http://breakstone.freezope.org/racecraft.html

I added a little forward to it all, shifted some things around (like Ability Increase and Ability Penalty), totally changed the Transformation flaw (I like it better now), and just plum tried to clarify certain ideas. Let me know what you think!

Great idea. Expect it in the next update!

I've agreed with you on this... it should be a 4 point ability. It's just too good as a +3 alone. Although I still think making it a +4 for most types of races and a +3 for types with a different vision penalty is a good flavor.

Well technically, if they take a flaw about vision it's giving them a bonus point, essentially lowering the price to 3 points.

For the shapechange ability I think it would be nice to have an additional ability that can be bought that would increase the number of times per day the race can use the shapechanging ability, this time with a flat cost instead of a cost dependant on the abilities gained. Initially I suggest a base cost of 2 points, and allow this ability to be taken multiple times, each increasing the number of times you can shapechange by once per day.

Vera neat idea. So neat that it's already been added!

Thanks for all the help and feedback, folks!

SpiralBound

Explorer
Looking good. Along with the additions that you plan to make, may I offer two suggestions:

1) Immediately after your introduction, place a hyperlinked table of contents for the various sections below. The "anchor" tag is your friend... ;)

2) Underneath the title, put a "Last Updated:" or "Last Revision:" date in a medium to small font size so that people (like me) will know for certain if they have the latest version.

3) Put in either a "post" form or a link to this thread somewhere for people to comment & make suggestions or submissions for this system.

P.S. I really like it so far! :D

Bront

The man with the probe
Breakstone said:
- We created a new trait called "Peripheral Vision" for three points. Races with Peripheral Vision would be immune to flanking.
Being flanked is not simply a function of not being able to see all around you, it's a function of being able to defend from attacks all around you. You can be flanked by 2 opponents on opposite sides of you, and peripheral vision might help, but it won't fully help without another ability. Keep in mind, that class powers that do similar things come at 12th level or thereabouts.

Edit - I'll check out the system when I can, it sounds interesting though.

Breakstone

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
I got a server error when I tried to access the link. Any idea when it will be running again? I'd like to take a look at your system. :)

It's back up!

I'll try and post a version with the Flight trait and a "Modifying and Creating Traits and Flaws" option later this week.

Breakstone

First Post
Alright, new update. I added the following traits:

Clumsy Flight
Poor Flight
Average Flight
Good Flight
Perfect Flight
Fast Flight

I also added two example races. Remember folks, if you test this out with your group and send or post the results, I'll make you a custom Clay Avatar to use here or wherever you want.

Here's the link: http://breakstone.freezope.org/racecraft.html

Remove ads