Racecraft- Players making their own races... Now with an exciting offer!

Breakstone

First Post
Hey there folks!

A while back (I think it was over a year ago), I posted an idea of mine- a campaign in which the players designed the races. I had come up with a quick guide that I called Racecraft, which would guide the players through the process of creating a race.

Anyways, I recently stumbled upon it again on my computer, and I figured I'd update it. It's 3.0 rules (that's what I'm familiar with), but if you just change words like "Wilderness Lore" to "Survival" and "Beasts" to "Animals," everything should be fine.

Here's the link to a nice, formatted version of it: RaceCraft

Please tell me what you think! I'm especially interested in opinions on the points given for creating races, and the idea of flaws. Your opinons are very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Breakstone

First Post
Hey, here's an offer you can't refuse! (well, I suppose you could, but anyways...)

At your next gaming session, if you get your fellow gamers to try out the RaceCraft rules and then post the results and feedback here, I'll make you an avatar out of clay! Much like these! Limited time only!

...and I'd be really grateful. I mean it!

Last edited:

Estlor

Explorer
I don't have a gaming session to test this in, but some thoughts just off the top of my head:

I'm a bit concerned about the present of unbalanced ability adjustments in the first part of the page. In D&D, the standard rule is physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) are worth twice that of mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha). As such, a +2 bonus in a physical score is offset by a -2 in a physical score or a -2 in two mental scores (which is why a half-orc has two -2 penalties). A +2 in a mental score is only offset by a -2 in a mental score. Likewise, the natural inverse is true - a -2 in a physical score can be offset by a +2 in two mental scores. This might look off at first glance, but the idea is that a character uses their physical ability scores much more often through the course of the game. A change in that score has a bigger impact. And they're right. Con changes hit points at every level, Str comes into play with every attack, and Dex comes into play every time you dodge a spell or use your AC. As written, RaceCraft will allow for someone to create favorably unbalanced scores, a condition that WotC believes automatically results in a +1 LA. Granted, it varies based on class choices, but what player won't pick a class that complements their abilities?

The other consideration is that, no matter what WotC would want us to believe, the core races are not balanced against each other. From a pure potential standpoint, elves, halflings, and humans are fairly well balanced, but dwarves are too strong and half-elves and half-orcs are too weak. If your point-based system doesn't take this into consideration and spends too much time trying to "balance" against an assumed core point total, there will be an amount of error custom built into the system.

I'd have to sit down and crunch some numbers, but you're probably about as close as anyone else has been to putting their finger on the mythical racial equation. If it seems to be working for you, that's a good thing :)

Breakstone

First Post
Hey, great points there Estlor! Let me share my thoughts on the matter:

I'm a bit concerned about the present of unbalanced ability adjustments in the first part of the page.

Well, I tried balancing that out by giving races with a -2 to a physical ability (Str, Dex, or Con) and a +2 to a mental ability (Int, Wis, or Cha) extra points to spend on Racial Traits.

The other consideration is that, no matter what WotC would want us to believe, the core races are not balanced against each other. From a pure potential standpoint, elves, halflings, and humans are fairly well balanced, but dwarves are too strong and half-elves and half-orcs are too weak.

Heh, yup. This became quite apparent when I was trying to make the races in the PHB using the RaceCraft rules. They'd either require too many points, or not use enough!

If your point-based system doesn't take this into consideration and spends too much time trying to "balance" against an assumed core point total, there will be an amount of error custom built into the system.

That said, I decided to make RaceCraft a tool for creating NEW races, not just trying to replicate the old races. I threw together some rough numbers for a "low-fantasy," "Average," and "high-fantasy" campaign setting, although I do believe they will require further adjustments.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Nyeshet

First Post
For whatever reason WotC seems to believe: 1) physical stats are more potent and so require a negative to two mental stats or one physical stat to compensate, and 2) mental stats are so potent that a bonus to any of them should automatically result in a +1 LA unless there is a negative to (any) two stats - and maybe something else negative as well (such as a non-useful favored class, considering the stat adjustments / other abilities). Note that none of the races in the PHB have a bonus to a mental stat. This is due to the mental stats being used in spellcasting.

It seems contradictory, and later setting and splat books released have a few races with a bonus to a mental stat, but often they have a negative to one or more physical stat and some other negative aspect as well. I cannot recall a single race with a bonus to a mental stat that is not LA or that has a spellcasting favored class that can make use of the stat. It would be akin to having a race with Str -2, Int +2, Favored Class: Sorcerer (or Fighter, for that matter).

Consider the Genasi. No matter what their stats are or how they are described, they are given Favored Class: Fighter.

That said, I still think your system has merit, and in a low(er) magic world I think the ability scores could realistically be dealt with on a one to one basis (as is true in your system). Personally, I don't buy into the idea that physical scores are worth more than mental scores. Int is responsible for skill points and several skills, Wis is responsible for the Will save and numerous important skills, and Cha is responsible for several important skills, leadership, and several class specials (Divine Grace, Turning, etc).

Last edited:

Andre

First Post
Estlor said:
In D&D, the standard rule is physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) are worth twice that of mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha). As such, a +2 bonus in a physical score is offset by a -2 in a physical score or a -2 in two mental scores (which is why a half-orc has two -2 penalties). A +2 in a mental score is only offset by a -2 in a mental score. Likewise, the natural inverse is true - a -2 in a physical score can be offset by a +2 in two mental scores.

Not quite. What WOTC's system says is that a bonus to Str is worth a penalty to two mental stats. The opposite - that a penalty to Str is equal to a bonus to two mental stats doesn't automatically follow.

Protecting a character from stat penalties is pretty easy - just don't play a class that depends on that stat. Suddenly, the penalty isn't very important. Inconvenient, maybe, but not critical. And a bonus to a mental stat can be every bit as powerful as a bonus to a physical stat, depending on the character build.

Moral of the story: Bonuses and penalties are not equal.

moritheil

First Post
Breakstone said:
Here's the link to a nice, formatted version of it: RaceCraft

Please tell me what you think! I'm especially interested in opinions on the points given for creating races, and the idea of flaws. Your opinons are very much appreciated.

I have been making custom races for quite some time now, and while I am impressed by the logical layout of your page, one thing that was disheartening was the suggestion that only one +2/-2 modifier pair should apply to any race. Not only does it imply that races are differentiated along at most two stat dimensions, it further disallows the creation of more varied and extreme races.

I do find that your system for adding things such as stonecunning, resistance, and spells at will is nice, although I would caution that in the end, each act of racial creation is still best performed as an ad-hoc judgment, to produce a coherent result.

I am curious about Weapon Familiarity, which seems to be a throwback to the days when elves got +1 with long swords. Is this the intent? I'm not sure about the balance of it compared to the 3.5 way of dealing with a race's weapon familiarity (automatic proficiency, or proficiency as a melee rather than an exotic weapon).

I eagerly await further information on your approach to racial creation.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Interesting. I'll ruminate on your system. Here is mine -

*I use odd stat adjustments - but it isn't an issue as the race is chosen prior to rolling stats, no adjustment in order. If you do not use such a system, players can take advantage of this system - so require races for such games to use an even # stat modifier.

+1 +1 physical or mental statistic
-½ -1 mental statistic
-1 -1 physical statistic
+/-1 +/- 10’ move, Base MV: M & L 30’, S 20’
+1/4 skills available as class skills do to race (each)
+1/4 each +1 to a skill roll
+1/2 low light vision
+1 dark vision 30’
+3/2 dark vision 60’
+1/4 reduce vision or hearing penalty for range in ½
+1/4 extra language known
-1/2 no race class
+1/4* 2 race classes
+1/2 Any race class (per humans)
+3/2 4+HD SR
+1/4 4 SR +1 up to 10 (so SR 10+HD = +3)
+1/2 10 SR +1 up to 15 (so SR 15+HD = 5½)
+1 10’ clumsy flight
+1/2 every +10’ or 1 step up in flight quality
+1 spell like ability, 1st level, 1/day OR
know 2 0th level, use 2+(INT mod)/day
+1/2 each additional use
+1/4 natural attack, d4 or less
+1* treat one size larger for grapple, trip, and bull-rush.
+1 scent
+1/4 able to take one or more MM feats
+1 plant form, 1/day, only 1 form possible
+1/4 each additional form available.
+1/2 creature type provides immunity (giant, fey)
+3/2 as above but excellent immunity (undead)
+3/4* +4 SP at 1st +1 SP each level > 1st
+2* extra feat at 1st, choice from list of 10+ feats
+1/2 +2 save Vs (poison & disease) or (enchantments), (death effects), (compulsion)
+1/4 +2 save Vs (Language)
+0 Last extra day w/out food prior penalty
+0 Hold breath as if CON = CON+2
+1 use of any 1 martial weapon (exotic if w all martial)
+1* +1 HP at 1st LV, Minimum of 2 HP/LV
+3/4 Heal 50% more HP/day of rest
+3/4 +1 saves Vs (magic) or (non-magic)
-1/4 Run is x3 unless on all fours (free action to go to all 4, move action to go to 2)
-1/2 Unable to run at all unless on all fours (as above)
*May only be taken once

Modifier for stat adjustment: modifiers for physical or mental (STR,DEX,CON or INT, WIS, CHA), including all bonus or minus, but not both at once, that equal or exceed 3 points, are further adjusted by 50% in the worst direction. Example below
+1 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON
bonus 1+2 = 3, so 2+1x1.5 = 3.5
penalty –2 = -2
total is 3.5-2 = 1.5 cost
+3 INT, -1 WIS, -2 CHA
bonus 3 so 2+1x1.5 = 3.5
penalty –1 –2 = -3, so –2 -1x 0.5 = -2.5
Combine both modifiers onto same creature
total 3.5 – (2.5, cut in ½, phy vs mental) = 2.25 cost
Why: high bonuses are hard to offset and allow abuse in a specialty class or ability focus.

This system generates these values for the core races:

HUMAN 2.75
DWARF 7.25
ELF 4.75
GNOME 5.5
1/2 ELF 3.5
1/2 ORC 1.5
HALFLING 3.5

Well, thats it, I suppose. Any greatly over or underpriced areas you notice, please let me know.

B:]B

Remove ads