• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racecraft- Players making their own races... Now with an exciting offer!

Breakstone

First Post
Vlos said:
Always find articles like these intersting as I love to create new things.

I love creating new things as well, Vlos!

01) Agree with others about Physical stats .vs. Mental stats and different weights. Since you use points for other things, maybe adding point modifiers to these will help balance them. For example:

- Reserved Strength: +2 Con, -2 Str
- Ironhide: +2 Con, -2 Dex
- Thick Skull: +2 Con, -2 Int, Points(-2)
- Stone Deaf: +2 Con, -2 Wis, Points(-2)
- Stoneface: +2 Con, -2 Cha, Points(-2)

The reason I've been staying away from this is that it adds a level of complexity that I just plum don't want. Instead, I'm giving bonus points for choosing a bonus to a Mental Stat and a minus to a Phyiscal Stat, but I'll most likely leave it at that.

02) Natural Weapon, I would base the damage on size of creature rather than giving them a base 1d4.

Good point. I'm lowering the point cost for Natural Attack to 3, and adding a special note that Small races only deal 1d3 damage, but Natural Attack only costs 2 points for them.

05) Prerequisites, where you have these, rather than have something like "Base Intelligence 10 or higher", make it so that they must have +2 bonus to STAT, so replace with "+2 Int". Because you really don't know what the base INT is until stats are rolled.

You know, I flip-flopped a lot on this issue, but I've decided that you guys are right. So now prerequsities say stuff like "+0 bonus or higher to Constitution"

Thats all for now.

Thanks for the feedback! I really do appreciate it.

Save-vs-DM

First Post
You know, this is rather nifty, I quite like it.

Just a few concerns, though.

1. Fight - I really think that this is just too good for a 0 ECL race. While I realize that it is rather spendy, I still think it's just too good without giving an ECL. I would also put in some clause about not being able to fly until 5th level (and then for a number of rounds tied to Con) and 10th level (unlimited).

2. I think that Noble isn't quite good enough for that point. I'd just give them a flat +2 to Diplomacy and Gather Information - hardly game breaking.

3. Peripheral vision just seems a bit too...good. I can't put my finger on it, but it is a really nice ability, even for the four points. You're basically giving this race the best benefit of Improved Uncanny Dodge

4. I would increase the cost of Rapid Healer from 2 to 3.

5. I would increaset the cost of Regenerative from 3 to 4, maybe even 5. That is a HUGE benefit, believe it or not.

6. I might add in a size increase for Shapechange. Size increase would add +2 Strength, -2 Dex and +2 Con. I think it would be worth about 4 points.

7. Vulnerable MIGHT be worth 3 points, not 2.

Overall, this is very slick, highly useful and I love it. I plan on using it for my next home brew game, as it might be fun to actually let my players do some of the work. Great job. I do have a few more suggestions, though.

I'd add the following traits (warning, I love psionics).

Naturally Psionic (2 or 4): For the 2 point version of this trait, you gain 2 power points at first level and are considered a psionic creature. For the 4 point version of this trait, you gain 1 bonus power point at each level and are considered naturally psionic.

Psionc Blood (3)
Prerequisite: +0 bonus or higher to Intelligence or Charisma.
Benefit: Choose one 1st-level power. Members of your race may manfist this power once per day. Choose either Intelligence or Charisma as the base ability for the spell, and treat members of your race as 1st-level manifesters for all power effects dependent on level.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. If the same power is selected twice, then members of your race may manifest that power twice per day.

Magically Astute (2): Choose one school of spells. Members of your race who cast these spells at a +1 DC.

Powerful Build (4): As per the powerful build ability found under the Half-Giant entry (XPH) or Goliath entry (RoS).

Anyway, that's what I got at this late (or is it early) hour.

Also, final warning...this just might lead to some very, very munchkinny type races. For example, here is what i can come up with off the top of my head.

Munchkin
Medium Size. 20 foot movement. Unbreakable. Ability Increase (Constitution) 4, Talented 4, Survivor 2, Illiterate 1, Savage Tongue 1.
Now I have the race with the following.
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha, Bonus feat at 1st level, +1 on all saving throws, 20 foot base speed, can't read and write and only speaks my racial tongue. That is one heckuva juggernaught.

Not exactly someone you want to represent your local lollipop guild.

Still, great job! With a little DM intervention to prevent obvious twink races, should be fun! I plan on making a few more races later today just to test this out!

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Breakstone

First Post
Save-vs-DM said:
You know, this is rather nifty, I quite like it.

Thanks, Save-vs-DM!

1. Fight - I really think that this is just too good for a 0 ECL race. While I realize that it is rather spendy, I still think it's just too good without giving an ECL. I would also put in some clause about not being able to fly until 5th level (and then for a number of rounds tied to Con) and 10th level (unlimited).

Yeah, that's the reason I didn't put it up there for so long. In the next update, I'm going to add a "Creating/Modifying Racial Traits" section, and I'll note that some traits may be too cheap or downright inappropriate for a campaign. In my campaigns, flight would either be right-out, or way more expensive. But I believe in general, it's at the appropriate levels.

2. I think that Noble isn't quite good enough for that point. I'd just give them a flat +2 to Diplomacy and Gather Information - hardly game breaking.

Now that I'm looking at it closer, I agree. What if instead I give it +1 to Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Gather Information? Maybe even throw Profession into the mix (nobles would make more money on average).

3. Peripheral vision just seems a bit too...good. I can't put my finger on it, but it is a really nice ability, even for the four points. You're basically giving this race the best benefit of Improved Uncanny Dodge

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. But in the end, I do like the idea of peripheral vision.

4. I would increase the cost of Rapid Healer from 2 to 3.

5. I would increaset the cost of Regenerative from 3 to 4, maybe even 5. That is a HUGE benefit, believe it or not.

Agreed.

6. I might add in a size increase for Shapechange. Size increase would add +2 Strength, -2 Dex and +2 Con. I think it would be worth about 4 points.

Just curious, are you thinking this would also increase the size of the race?

Otherwise, I like this idea. Maybe I can think up a few more unique shapechanges, like Size Decrease, Boneless (for squeezing into small spaces), etc.

7. Vulnerable MIGHT be worth 3 points, not 2.

Well, I'd like to keep all the flaws to 1 or 2 points, so how do you think I could adjust vulnerable?

I'd add the following traits (warning, I love psionics).

I'm always in the market for new traits!

Naturally Psionic (2 or 4): For the 2 point version of this trait, you gain 2 power points at first level and are considered a psionic creature. For the 4 point version of this trait, you gain 1 bonus power point at each level and are considered naturally psionic.

Psionc Blood (3)
Prerequisite: +0 bonus or higher to Intelligence or Charisma.
Benefit: Choose one 1st-level power. Members of your race may manfist this power once per day. Choose either Intelligence or Charisma as the base ability for the spell, and treat members of your race as 1st-level manifesters for all power effects dependent on level.
Special: This trait can be taken multiple times. If the same power is selected twice, then members of your race may manifest that power twice per day.

Magically Astute (2): Choose one school of spells. Members of your race who cast these spells at a +1 DC.

I like 'em! Expect them in the next update!

Powerful Build (4): As per the powerful build ability found under the Half-Giant entry (XPH) or Goliath entry (RoS).

I'm unfamiliar with this trait. Could someone re-post it for me?

Also, final warning...this just might lead to some very, very munchkinny type races. For example, here is what i can come up with off the top of my head.

Munchkin
Medium Size. 20 foot movement. Unbreakable. Ability Increase (Constitution) 4, Talented 4, Survivor 2, Illiterate 1, Savage Tongue 1.
Now I have the race with the following.
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha, Bonus feat at 1st level, +1 on all saving throws, 20 foot base speed, can't read and write and only speaks my racial tongue. That is one heckuva juggernaught.

Not exactly someone you want to represent your local lollipop guild.

Yeah, the downside of freedom of customization is that it's easily abused. However, do remember that you can select only ONE flaw (other than ability decrease)!

Still, great job! With a little DM intervention to prevent obvious twink races, should be fun! I plan on making a few more races later today just to test this out!

Great! I'm glad you like it. Be sure to post the races or at least e-mail them to me... I'm always interested in what other folks come up with!

Nyaricus

First Post
hello everyone,

well i havent checked out you actual Racecraft program, but good job for making this man! sounds like a good idea. for me though, i am either playing (DMing i should say :p) in FRCS of my own campaign, both of which have their own Races already made. This is probably a very good tool for those DMs that want their players to just have a go at making their own thing, and if you dont mind, i think ill make a link in my MSN group (which i havent loaded anything up on it yet, stupid being busy . . . .) so that people can use you as a resourse if they so choose. Who knows, once i get it off the ground, maybe itll be something big??

Anyways, here is the Powerful Build entry as in the goliath entry in RoS (Races of Stone)

Powerful Build: the physical stature of a goliath lets him function in many ways as f he were one size catergory larger. Whenever a goliath is subject to a size modiifer for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the goliath is treated as one size catergory larger is doing so is advantagrous to him. A goliath is also considered to be one size catergory larger when determining whether a creatures special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A goliath can use weapons one size larger withour penalty, however his space and reach remain those of a creatur of his actual size. the benefits of this racial trait stak with the efects of powers, abilities and spells that change the subjects size catergory.

peace out, and good luck.

Sravoff

First Post
Yes I like. On the subject of mental vs. physyical ability scores.
Mental abilities can be traded on a one for one basis.
Physical ability score can be traded on a one for one basis.
Mental ability scores may be traded with physical ability scores one a one fro two basis.
Physical ability scores can be traded with mental ability scores on a one for two basis.
By trade I mean give +2/-2 to. Neither are balanced when used aginst one aother, sorcerer doesn't really need str, fight doesn't really need Cha.

What do you think?

Good job on the racecraft! I haven't really gone through it completely yet but I will. I am always looking for new ways of creating stuff for d20 for my new campaign. So far I am ading weapons as special afffects, either drspunji's classless system or my own, and more than likely this.

Thanks!

-Sravoff

Sravoff

First Post
Very well done on race craft. I very much liek and will be featured in my next campaign.
I have a few minor changes problems.

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Ampibious: gives water breathin for two points. I would change this. Make it one point and make them good at holding breath, double their con. Most amphibians hold their breath and breath air, I am pretty sure.

Create the water breathing ability for two points.
Eidet Memory: I would drop the +4 racial bonus cause it sounds a bit more like a class ability. Then I would change it so character got a +2 in all knowledge skills they have ranks in. May need a name change.
Fins, may or may not need to ahve the odd shaped body flaw, are tails odd shaped body worthy?
Flight costs a whole lot to get anything good and is pretty much too good for a +0 LA race, I know that has come up before so I gues DM just gets veto power....
Spell like abilites. These do not have any components, but do provoke Aoa and can be cast defensivly as normal spells. That is what the MM says, you ma want it to work differently but gnomes work like this.
I would drop perephrial vision, or make it so they get only +1, you get half you dex bonus and their SA only work 75% of the time, you may make this 50%, not sure...
Strong Stomach is cool, glad you thought of it!
I would make dropping a physical score only give you two points instead of three.

Very Nice work over all though, glad you made it!

-Sravoff

Sravoff

First Post
Wow, Sorry bout the shoddy formatting, hadn't actually seen it till today.

Any way, Is there a system for creating races with level adjustments? Liek a +1 race get an exra 3 points, or something?

-Sravoff

Remove ads