D&D 5E RACES: D&D 5E Races That Should Be Core Races

SamVDW

First Post
D&D 5E currently has nine core races: Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Human, Dragonborn, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, and Tiefling.

They will surely add more and more over time. Which races would you like to see added to the nine core races that already exist?

Bladeling, Changling, Deva, Genasi, Githzerai, Goliath, Hamadryad, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Mul, Pixie, Revenant, Satyr, Shade, Shardmind, Shifter, Thri-Kreen, Vryloka, Warforged, Wilden... or something else? Some of these may not justify their own specific race and could be rolled into another as an optional, while others would definitely need their own 'category'.

Which are you looking forward to?

What do you mean by "core" in this context?

Anyway, I would like to see them write up all those at some point, even if it is just a 2 page PDF on their website.

aramis erak

Legend
Thri-kreen, Mul, Pixie (and sprite, and brownie and other variation diminutive fey as subraces), Minotaur, Satyr, reptile men.

I wouldn't mind Treants, either.

And, just for sheer reference value, sentient turtle people and myconids...

Dausuul

Legend
A bit nitpicky perhaps, but the core races of 5E are human, elf, dwarf, and halfling. Everything else is specifically called out as optional. I certainly would not expect to see any additions to the core.

Now, as to what races I would like to see supported? All of them. Forget boring stuff like minotaurs and pixies. I want support for playing everything from a marilith demon to a swarm of quippers. It is, of course, not practical to do full race writeups for everything in the Monster Manual, or even 3E-style "play a monster" rules. But I'm hoping the DMG will have handy guidelines on how to turn a monster into a PC; enough that DMs and players who aren't afraid of a little tinkering can work it out.

Last edited:

Just like not every 3e race *needed* to be updated to 4e, not every 4e race needs to be updated to 5e.

The campaign specific ones (mul, Minotaur, thri-kreen, warforged, shifter) need to be done. Aasimar, deva, and genasi are needed. I'd like to see kenku as well.

Paraxis

Explorer
Thri-kreen, Mul, Pixie (and sprite, and brownie and other variation diminutive fey as subraces), Minotaur, Satyr, reptile men.

I wouldn't mind Treants, either.

And, just for sheer reference value, sentient turtle people and myconids...

Treants as a PC race sound cool. Also would like to see a return of the Tortels from Red Steel campaign setting.
tumblr_inline_mi5mvf1xGj1qz4rgp.jpg

Would also like to see a swarm or hive mind like race, a pc aberration race like the mind flayer just not so powerful.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That should be core races? Well, this thread will result in a list of 100 races that "should be core". I think 9 is fine; too many, even. 6 core would be just dandy.

BigVanVader

First Post
I wanna see something Large. Something Titan-lite, or Storm Giant-lite.

I wanna see something like a Demigod. Doesn't even have to be that powerful, but making us 'feel' like we're that powerful would rule.

Dhampirs because I love Symphony of the Night, Blade and Vampire Hunter D.

Also, I wanna see a lot of ugly races. Half-Orcs or Orcs, Tieflings for the Hellboy value, something like that would be fun.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Thri-Kreen
Goblins and Hobgoblins
Kobolds
Orcs
Lizardmen
Githzerai and Githyanki
Kobolds

Why yes, I do play a lot of Spelljammer.

Remove ads