D&D 5E RACES: D&D 5E Races That Should Be Core Races

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Yeah. Get ready. With the upcoming WoW orc game [Iron Horde or whatever the hell it's called], we're going to see either full Orcs coming out as PC available in short order...or D&D might be all tricksy -so as not to appear like they're a complete rip off- and try to pass off Hobgoblins,but with the same vein/flavor as the WoW orcs.

Rest assured there will be a fraggin' deluge of players saying "I wanna be an orc", beyond any the industry has seen before.

Mercule

Adventurer
I have to say, Hobgoblin is just a perfect fit, savage but also able to be lawful. Militant or mercenary.
In my home-brew, goblinoids exist in two major modes: 1) the semi-traditional portrayal as evil, but sporadically organized under human-level intelligence hobgoblins; 2) the Dthek.

When the Paladins (a religious organization following a LG, martial sun deity, but not synonymous with the class) were chased out of the cosmopolitan crossroads they'd help to found, over 1500 years earlier, they set up shop in a human "wild coast" at the edge of Dthek holdings. During the normal course of trade, the Paladins and the hobgoblins found common ground in the study of war, as well as a love of order not shared by the other humans and goblinoids in the area. While this could have turned into a competition and conflict, a greater invasion gave them further common cause and bound them together.

Though the Dthek homeland was shattered, the Dthek and Paladins beat back their enemies. Most of the lesser goblinoids fled, while their human allies remained steadfast. To this day, the Dthek are among the most honorable peoples, with a strong love for both their broken homeland and the faith that brought them enduring allies. If they were ever to turn from those, the world would have reason to fear; born into a land filled with undead and dragons, the Dthek are known for a martial tradition so strong that the faith and courage of their heroes are enough to give mundane weapons the strength to fight any foe, even wraiths and demons.

So, yeah. Even a lawful good hobgoblin paladin can be militant and savage at the same time.

SamVDW

First Post
All this talk makes me wonder that if races were more fleshed out, instead of a half-page or page description, would that lead to better roleplaying? If we had a fully fleshed out "goblin civilization" guide, would that make goblins more than just a level 1 or 2 stepping stone for players? A lot of the information regarding races seems to be left up to the game master.

All this talk makes me wonder that if races were more fleshed out, instead of a half-page or page description, would that lead to better roleplaying? If we had a fully fleshed out "goblin civilization" guide, would that make goblins more than just a level 1 or 2 stepping stone for players? A lot of the information regarding races seems to be left up to the game master.

If that happened, you'd get a ton of people complaining that the developers were cramming in too much fluff and should let the players decide on roleplaying. I think the way they did it is fine, since every DM is going to be running a different setting, and having too much to do with one setting or another would be annoying when its the setting itself that decides the stereotypes of each race. Putting in all the kender tropes for halflings for roleplaying purposes would wreck havok on a player trying to play a halfling in Dark Sun for instance.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I vote for "Not Kender." IMHO, the only people who play that race are players who want to steal from their own party.

No, thank you.
2hand.gif

Not true. I've played a few kender in my time and never once stolen from my own party.

Aldarc

Legend
Yeah. Get ready. With the upcoming WoW orc game [Iron Horde or whatever the hell it's called], we're going to see either full Orcs coming out as PC available in short order...or D&D might be all tricksy -so as not to appear like they're a complete rip off- and try to pass off Hobgoblins,but with the same vein/flavor as the WoW orcs.

Rest assured there will be a fraggin' deluge of players saying "I wanna be an orc", beyond any the industry has seen before.
I'm not sure how that is necessarily a bad thing. Our conception of fantasy norms changes with time. If WoW and its playable orcs get people wanting to play D&D, I'm not sure that's not anything other than healthy for our hobby.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Here are some I'd like to see:

Deva
Draconians (dragonborn variants for noble and base draconians)
Genasi
Goliaths (Half-Giants)
Gully Dwarves
Half-Kender
Half-Ogre
Kalashtar
Kender (True and afflicted)
Irda
Minotaurs
Mul
Shadar-Kai
Thri-Kreen