• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial Scores bonuses.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Grey Elf Wizard isn't broken, it's the only (other than Fire Elves and any other +Int elves) Elf subrace that is better than a dwarf at actually being a wizard. And...not by much. Elves suck overall, sadly.

For the OP, the thing is, if you're not a caster, mental stats are easily dumpable, at least a little. If you are a caster, raising your casting stat is just plain top priority. If you wanted a quick and simple method of making new races that are mostly balanced, you could get by pretty well with this set up:

If the race gives a +2 physical ability score, it also gives -2 to a different physical score. Ex: +2 str, -2 dex.

If the race gives a +2 to a mental stat, it comes attached with a -2 con modifier, since a loss there hurts everyone. The only classes that will be any good for that race will likely be casters using the stat, but oh well. Ex: +2 wis, -2 con.

NilesB

First Post
Grey Elf Wizard isn't broken, it's the only (other than Fire Elves and any other +Int elves) Elf subrace that is better than a dwarf at actually being a wizard. And...not by much. Elves suck overall, sadly.
The only non-elf PHB race that doesn't match or exceed the dwarf at wizardry is the Half-Orc; I'm tired of people overrating Dwarves.

That said, while con(and dex) isn't as big a deal as a bonus attribute as the others, Con is the only stat penalty that is actually a real penalty. While no PC does their job with their con score, no pc can afford to dump it either.

One way of looking at attribute mods for races is to sketch up a character who follows the synergies of their race and count how many points said attribute mod is worth via point buy. It's not perfect but it is informative. most +2 bonuses are worth 5-8 points, and most -2 penalties are worth -2 at most, con is an exception in both situations.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Dwarves are such better wizards than any other PH race but the gnome. They are more or less tied with gnomes, depending on what the character wishes to focus on. Anyone who disagrees fails to understand the importance of Con, which is the second-most important stat for just about every character (unless you are playing a combat-light game, in which case Con becomes a dump stat, but most D&D games are not such). In the absence of a PH race which grants a boost to Int, the dwarf and the gnome become the default best races for wizards, not to mention most other casters.

The only thing elves have going for them is the ease with which they can gimp themselves by multiclassing as a wizard. I do not really consider that a strength.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The only non-elf PHB race that doesn't match or exceed the dwarf at wizardry is the Half-Orc; I'm tired of people overrating Dwarves.

People don't overrate dwarves. Dwarves really are that good. But, let's compare...

Stats: I think Con is more important that dex, but let's say they're equally important to the wizard. Both races boost a seconary stat. But dwarf drop a dump stat, elf hurts an important one. Dwarf wins by a lot.

Vision: Darkvision is better than low-light vision. Dwarf wins.

Speed: Elf is faster, dwarf is unhindered when encumbered which might be handy at times, but not often enough for a Wizard. At mid/high levels, the wizard is flying and this is irrelevant. Till then, Elf wins.

Saves/immunities: Elf gets +2 vs. enchantment and sleep immunity (non-magical sleep such as from poison still works, though). Dwarf gets...+2 on ALL saves vs. spells, Sp, and poison. Dwarf wins handily!

Proficiencies: Elf gives some, but all are either melee weapons or apply str penalty to ranged damage, unlike the awesome crossbow. Still Elf wins by default.

Sleeping: Don't know what else to call this category. :) Point is, Elf gets to spend half his spell replenishment time able to make spot checks and not listening at -10. Soon as the wizard hits 5th level (if he has Extend Spell) or 8th level (if not), this is mostly irrelevant. Elf wins, though.

Skills: Elves get +2 on all the perception skills and free check to notice secret doors and such. Dwarf can intuit depth, gets +2 search on stonework and trapfinding, and has a longer "sixth sense" range for secret stone things than elves do in general :)p). He also gets +2 craft and appraise for stone/metal. I'm calling this even.

Stability: Dwarves win by default.

Attack bonuses: Dwarf wins by default.

Giant dodging: Dwarf wins by default.

In any case, dwarf was clearly not designed to be great at wizardry, and yet it's clearly better at it than the race that is supposed to be good at it. Both because elves suck and dwarves are really powerful.

cjosephs1s

First Post
While this Dwarf vs Elf debate is educational for me and i'm sure everyone else I have to giggle at how far off topic it is. Good analysis though StreamOfTheSky..I'll try and give xp for it

am181d

Adventurer
In any case, dwarf was clearly not designed to be great at wizardry, and yet it's clearly better at it than the race that is supposed to be good at it. Both because elves suck and dwarves are really powerful.

I'm confused. How does this comparison relate to whether a dwarf is a better wizard?

Remove ads