D&D 5E [Radiant Citadel] A chart of parallel Earth cultures and motifs across the D&D Multiverse

Voadam

Legend
Clay golems are from Jewish folklore, but Medieval Poland, not Ancient Israel.

Magical phylacteries at various points can be viewed as Jewish tephillin or general Egyptian and other ancient world phylacteries/magical amulets. This includes lich phylacteries, but also phylacteries of faithfulness and so on.

Horn of blasting is evocative of the trumpets at the Battle of Jericho.

Snake Staff is similar to Moses and the Egyptian magicians turning their staves into snakes.

Many D&D cleric spells are Torah inspired. Part water and Moses at the Red Sea. Sticks to snakes and Moses and the Egyptian magicians. Flame strike and Elijah's contest against the worshippers of Baal. Create food and water and mana from heaven as the Israelites cross the desert.

Update, in the OP I added in the Toril language families from DRAGON Annual #4.
In other words, official Toril versions of the Niger-Congo, Germanic, Celtic, Italic, Baltic (=Netherese!), Hellenic, Slavic, Altaic, Semitic, Egyptic, and Tamazic (Berber) language clades.

Updates:

I added in most of the culture-specific DRAGON magazine articles from the DragonDex. Except for the Asian / Kara-Tur articles. (I'm aiming to look at the articles and sort them by Japanese, Chinese, etc.)

I broke out Earth's "Age of Magic" setting (seen in the early BECMI materials) as a different world, distinct from the World of Mystara, since it was really a different setting than Mystara, with a hugely divergent continuity.

I really delved into the Ulutinu (~Inuitic) peoples of the Forgotten Realms:
  • The Ulutiun peoples (~Inuitic peoples):
    • Ice Hunters / Ancient Men of the North, who speak the Uluik language, and who dwell in the Cold Run, Ice Peak island, and the Sea of Moving Ice, northwest of Icewind Dale. Relative to the more eastern Ulutiun of the Great Glacier (including the those who are based on the Canadian Caribou Inuit), the Ice Hunters are geographically similar to the western Inuitic peoples of Alaska. Relative to Icewind Dale, Ice Peak island is similar to one of the large islands off the west coast of Alaska: Kodiak Island, St. Lawrence Island, or Nunivak Island, all of which are Yupik-speaking. The Uluik words for their boats, khyeks and oumyeks, are analogous to kayaks and umiaks. The English word "kayak" (qajaq 'man's boat') and "umiak" (umiaq 'woman's boat' / 'large-skinned boat') are similar in form throughout the Inuitic language. Given the westernmost , the Uluik language is probably analogous to the Inupiatun language of northern Alaska, and possibly also covers the Yupik languages of southwestern Alaska.
    • The Nakulutiun people of the Nakvaligach region of the Great Glacier, also called the "Northern Barrens", the northernmost and most dangerous region of the Great Glacier, are likely based on the real-world Inughuit (Polar Inuit) of the Avanersuaq region of northernmost Greenland...historically the most isolated branch of humanity in the world. The Nakulutiun of Toril speak the Ulutiun language. The real-world Inughuit speak the Inuktun language, which is slightly different than Standard Greenlandic.
    • The caribou-herding Angulutiun people of the Great Glacier are similar to the Caribou Inuit of central Canada. The Angulutiun speak the Ulutiun language.
    • The Iulutiun people are the most populous of the Ulutiun peoples, and appear to be most similar to the Kalaallit (Greenland Inuit), since they are the prominent Inuitic people. They are the main people of the Great Glacier, which is geographically analogous the Greenland Ice Sheet. The Ulutiun language would be most similar to Kalaallisut (Greenlandic) then.
  • Arctic dwarves (~Inuit dwarves)
I also delved into the ~Central Asian motifs in Krynn:
  • In Krynn:
    • In the continent of Ansalon:
      • The Khanate of Khur / The Nomads of Khur. Their Khurish language appears to be mostly fantastic, but there is at least one Persian motif ("Khur" is a common placename in Iran), a few Mongolian motifs (the word "khan", plus, regardless of their meanings: the word "Alash", from the Alash mountains in Inner Mongolia, and the word "Nor", from famous lake "Lop Nor"), a Russian/Circassian/Balkar motif (keffre 'a strong hot beverage' < keffir), some Arabic motifs (souk 'market', and the word "yl" is used similar to "al-"). Given the Iranian name of their nation, plus the Mongolian title "khan", they closest earthly parallel could be the Ilkhanate of Iran, which was the successor state of the Mongolian Empire in Persia.
      • The Khanate of the Southern Wastes / The Horselords of Nordmaar. They have blended motifs: Turko-Mongolic "khan"; Old English (their capital is named "Wulfgar", which is Old English for "wolf-spear"), and Aztec (the chief tribe is named "Huitzitlic").
    • In Taladas:
      • The Uigan (~Mongolian) nation and language of the continent of Taladas. Note the parallel with the "Tuigan" people and language from Forgotten Realms. They live in "yurts" (which is a Mongolian word).
      • The Kazar nation and language in Taladas: ~Khazar and/or ~Kazakh, both of which are Turkic peoples.
      • The Alan-Atu nation (~Buryat Mongolian+ ~Alans; "Ulan-Ude" is the real-world capital of Buryatia. The Alans were an Iranic Scythian people whose descendants are now known as the Ossetians.).
      • The Puresk nation is evocative of the Mukhsha Ulus, whose leader was named Puresh. This was a kingdom which spoke the Moksha Finnic language, but was conquered by the Mongolian Empire, and forced to fight the Russians.
      • (Note: for the Purgi nation, see the Himalayan section.)
      • The Merkitsa Elves of the Tamire (~Mongolian elves). Their name is likely inspired by the Merkits tribal confederation "wise ones/skillful ones" who were one of the first adversaries of the Mongols.
      • Another motif: The name of the Burya Ilquar mountains is likely inspired by the Buryats.
I posted descriptive paragraphs about David Howery's ~African and ~North American continents from DRAGON magazine. I posted them in both the Oerth section and the Toril section, since both worlds had suggested placements. For example, the Oerth paragraphs:
  • "The Dark Continent" [sic!] by David Howery, DRAGON #189(p10), AD&D2e: "For my original WORLD OF GREYHAWK campaign, I drew up an extended map of Hepmonaland, making it into a vast and wealthy continent of spice traders, ivory hunters, warring natives, lost cities, and all that wonderful African flavor. This was the original setting for 'The Elephant's Graveyard,' and 'The
    Leopard Men' (see DUNGEON® Adventures, #15 and #22). Recent events on Oerth (detailed in Greyhawk Wars and From the Ashes), invalidated this set-up by revealing that Hepmonaland is a backwater area that had been conquered by the Scarlet Brotherhood. With this knowledge, the best place for an African continent is southwest of the Sea of Dust. It would be difficult, but not impossible, to set up trade routes to this area. DMs will have to draw up an extended map of Oerik to include the Dark Continent."
    • Cultures:
      • Mibida (~Mali)
      • City of Kinitah (~Benin)
      • Kingdom of Konogo (~Kongo)
      • Union of Kumasa (~Asante)
      • Matuso Tribe (~Zulu)
      • Land of N'Tshane
      • Watangas
      • N'goto
      • Kanakres

• "Lands of the People", a "continent far to the east across the Solnor Ocean", by David Howery in DRAGON #205: "The WORLD OF GREYHAWK® setting: In the northern Flanaess was a land called the Barrens, with a people called the Rovers. In my old GREYHAWK® campaign, I made the Rovers into a fierce Sioux-like tribe. They were savage and free, and had a brief moment of glory in "Ghost Dance" published in DUNGEON® Adventures issue #32. With the recent wars in the Flanaess (see the From the Ashes set), the Rovers were destroyed by Iuz. However, my campaign also included a continent far to the east across the Solnor Ocean. This was a fantasy America with many cultures inspired by the Native Americans. This continent is the basis of this article."
    • There are [only!] three cultures in the Lands of the People:
      • Eastern Woodlands
      • Great Plains
      • Southwest Desert

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Some more peoples of the World of Greyhawk for you, though the details are sketchy and I'm not always sure what the closest analogue would be...

"These herders and hunters [i.e., the Chakyik/Tiger Nomads] roam freely across the steppe south of the Burneal, trading with the folk of Ekbir and Perrenland, as well as the Wolf Nomads to the east, and the Chakji tribes of the northern coast beyond the border of the Black Ice." (Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, 2000, p. 114, emphasis added)

"They [the Chakyik/Tiger Nomads] warred with the Flan tribes of the Burneal, whom they called the Uirtag, as well as the Guryik people from the Land of Black. Some of the nomads even made settlements along the northern coast near the Burneal. Among them was the last remnant of stray Oeridians who had followed the horde to the northern steppes. Together they mixed with the tribes of Burneal and the Land of Black Ice to become a distinct people, the Chakji." (ibid, pp. 114-115, emphasis added)

"Little-known Flan savages called the Uirtag dwell in the interior [of the Burneal Forest], living in huts made of green boughs in the brief summer and in burrows dug into the ground during the long, cold winter. A few Chakji tribes on the forests' [sic] western fringe trade with the Tiger Nomads and inhabitants of the Land of Black Ice (see Tiger Nomads)." (ibid, p. 139)

Black Ice, Land of: "At the far edge of the Flanaess is a seemingly endless landscape of blue-black ice, filling the northern horizon beyond the Burneal Forest and Blackmoor. The source of these rolling fields of ebony ice had never been explained. On the Dramidj coast dwell the Baklunish Gyurik folk; on the Icy Sea side are the Zeai, related to the Ice Barbarians." (ibid, p. 154, emphasis added)

Summary:

The Chakyik (i.e., Tiger Nomads, who are primarily Baklunish with feint Oeridian bloodlines) intermarried with the Uirtag (Flan) and the Gyurik (apparently Baklunish) people from the Land of Black Ice, leading to the emergence of another distinct people--the Chakji.

The Gyurik seem like they might be vaguely Inuit (academics believe the latter are believed to be distantly related to northeastern Siberian migrants).

I am not familiar with any northern indigenous peoples in the real world who took shelter in burrows in winter, so not sure who exactly--if anyone--the Uirtag are modelled after. That said, natural caves or snow caves seem like potentially viable winter habitations for fantastical indigenous peoples (I just don't seem them digging burrows into the ground, for a variety of reasons).

The Zeai can evidently be added to the list of Nordic/Norse analogues.

You may also find this thread of interest: Canonfire!

And there's an Inuit analogue in the Ice People too (the portrayal is solidly positive, even the physical description borders on the racist).

Most of the other stuff is analogous to cultures not listed. I feel like the Ilquar Goblins and the First People Ogres are analogous to some culture but I'm not able to pin it down (both are playable and largely neutral or positive in their portrayal). The Saqualaminoi are intended to be friendly Yetis, but I don't think that quite counts as Nepalese/Tibetan!
Thanks for this Ruin Explorer. I found some solid motifs. I'm especially happy for unlocking the likely origin of the name "Abaqua" (meaning 'first people'): "Aboriginal" (first) + the Canadian pronunciation of "Iroquois" /Ir-a-qua/. These sorts of things can't be 'proven' except by an interview with the designer. But they are strongly suggestive.

~Indigenous North American:
  • In the continent of Taladas:
    • The Ice People of Taladas are ~Inuit. As seen in their words "Kitaglu" (their main village; evocative of "iglu/igloo"), "Sakalaminuik" (yeti) and "Amaguik" (spirit wolves), their language is Inuit-like. The silver dragon Ukamiak has taken his name from that language.
    • Sakalaminuik (~Inuit yeti). Their other name, Saqualaminoi, is a modification of "sasquatch" (a.k.a. Bigfoot), which comes from an Indigenous North American language: either the Nlaka'pamuctsin language se'sxa or Halkomem language sásq’ets. Both are Salishan languages of British Columbia, Canada. But the name connection appears to be superficial, and not indicative of Salishan culture; the arctic terrain doesn't suggest any cultural motif beyond the ~Inuit. Since "Saqualaminoi" shares the "-oi" ~Greek-like suffix of other peoples of Krynn (Gnomoi, Minoi, etc.), this appears to be a more learned name used by outside scholars. So culturally, they're basically "Inuit sasquatches/yeti."
    • The First People / Abaqua Ogres culture is generalization of Indigenous American motifs, such as their fringed deerskin clothing and the term "warchief." Specifically the cultures of the Eastern Woodlands ("Deerwood Tribe"; and also the wigwam-style homes: "domed houses of saplings, that are covered with leaves and bark"), Prairie/Plains (the "Grass Tribe"), and the Rocky Mountains ("Black Peak Tribe" is slightly evocative of the Blackfoot Nation of the Montanan and Canadian Rockies). The name "Abaqua" (meaning 'first people' in the Abaquan language) is vaguely reminiscent of the word "Aboriginal" + the Canadian pronunciation of "Iroquois" (Ir-a-qua).
    • The Wretched Ones / Ilquar Goblins, appear to represent the most oppressed aspect of Indigenous American history. Their culture is vaguely evocative of Indigenous America. Several Indigenous American peoples practiced head-shaping, such as some Salish peoples of the Pacific Northwest, and the Choctaw nation of the U.S. Southeast. Though notably, the so-called "Flathead" nation did not practice head-flattening!

Last edited:

Some more peoples of the World of Greyhawk for you, though the details are sketchy and I'm not always sure what the closest analogue would be...

"These herders and hunters [i.e., the Chakyik/Tiger Nomads] roam freely across the steppe south of the Burneal, trading with the folk of Ekbir and Perrenland, as well as the Wolf Nomads to the east, and the Chakji tribes of the northern coast beyond the border of the Black Ice." (Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, 2000, p. 114, emphasis added)

"They [the Chakyik/Tiger Nomads] warred with the Flan tribes of the Burneal, whom they called the Uirtag, as well as the Guryik people from the Land of Black. Some of the nomads even made settlements along the northern coast near the Burneal. Among them was the last remnant of stray Oeridians who had followed the horde to the northern steppes. Together they mixed with the tribes of Burneal and the Land of Black Ice to become a distinct people, the Chakji." (ibid, pp. 114-115, emphasis added)

"Little-known Flan savages called the Uirtag dwell in the interior [of the Burneal Forest], living in huts made of green boughs in the brief summer and in burrows dug into the ground during the long, cold winter. A few Chakji tribes on the forests' [sic] western fringe trade with the Tiger Nomads and inhabitants of the Land of Black Ice (see Tiger Nomads)." (ibid, p. 139)

Black Ice, Land of: "At the far edge of the Flanaess is a seemingly endless landscape of blue-black ice, filling the northern horizon beyond the Burneal Forest and Blackmoor. The source of these rolling fields of ebony ice had never been explained. On the Dramidj coast dwell the Baklunish Gyurik folk; on the Icy Sea side are the Zeai, related to the Ice Barbarians." (ibid, p. 154, emphasis added)

Summary:

The Chakyik (i.e., Tiger Nomads, who are primarily Baklunish with feint Oeridian bloodlines) intermarried with the Uirtag (Flan) and the Gyurik (apparently Baklunish) people from the Land of Black Ice, leading to the emergence of another distinct people--the Chakji.

The Gyurik seem like they might be vaguely Inuit (academics believe the latter are believed to be distantly related to northeastern Siberian migrants).

I am not familiar with any northern indigenous peoples in the real world who took shelter in burrows in winter, so not sure who exactly--if anyone--the Uirtag are modelled after. That said, natural caves or snow caves seem like potentially viable winter habitations for fantastical indigenous peoples (I just don't seem them digging burrows into the ground, for a variety of reasons).

Hi, great finds - thanks!

Regardless of the in-universe origins (Baklunish, etc.), the names "Chakji" and "Guryik" are very likely based on the Chukchi and Koryak nationalities, who are the indigenous peoples of the furthest northeastern tip of Russia, where it approaches Alaska. Their cultures have similarities with the Inuit; in fact, there are Inuit (Siberian Yupik) settlements along the Chukchi coast.

The name "Uirtag" doesn't ring a bell. The name "Yukaghir" is not very close: Yukaghir people - Wikipedia
There's also the "Aliutor" people. Alyutors - Wikipedia
IDK

I guess the Zeai are "Sea Barbarians"?

Last edited:

Summary:

I found that pithouses / dugouts were used by the real-world Chukchi.

Here's the new additions to my OP:

~Indigenous Siberian:
In Oerth:
  • Burneal Forest (~The Siberian Taiga)
  • Chakji (~Chukchi). For quotes on the Chakchi, Guryik, and Uirtag, see this post. Ancient dugouts or pithouses are found in Chukchi sites.
  • Guryik (~Koryak)
  • Uirtag (perhaps the ~Yukaghir nationality or the ~Aliutor nationality, both of which experienced Chukchi expansion into their original homelands. The name correlations are flimsy, sharing only a few mixed letters and sounds: e.g. Yukaghir vs. Uirtag: Uir- = Yu****ir ; -tag = -kag; Aliutor vs. Uirtag: Ui = iu ; tag = tor.)
~Norse:
In Oerth:

Last edited:

Plains of the Paynims = plains of the non-Christian pagans (i.e., Muslims). See Definition of PAYNIM.
~Arab:
  • The Baklunish peoples (~Arab; other than the ~Turkic nomadic steppe peoples, who are said to be blended with the Flan):
    • The Plains of the Paynims [sic!] (~Arabs; "Paynim" is a medieval Western term for Muslims.)
    • The Paynims of the Dry Steppes
    • The Calphiate of Ekbir. The "caliphate", ruled by the "caliph" (anglicized from Arabic khilāfah, 'successor'), is the highest title in Islamic religious and political statecraft. The name "Ekbir" is evocative of the Arabic word "akbar" meaning 'greatest', seen in the common phrase: "Allahu Akbar" 'God is Greatest.
    • Ket (a blended Baklunish + Suel-Oeridian nation)
    • Tusmit
    • Ul
    • Zeif (said to be 'pure' Baklunish)
    • The Baklunish Hegira calendar ("BH") is inspired by the ~Anno Hegirae ("AH") calendar.
    • The Baklunish Pantheon: Al'Akbar (Arabic 'the greatest'), Al'Asran, Al'Zarad, Azor'alq, Daoud, Geshtai, Istus, Mouqol, Tharoth the Reaper, Xan Yae, Zuoken

Remove ads