D&D 5E Rage of Demons more details.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The thing I find very interesting about all of WotC's adventure paths is that while they are all written from the perspective of being in the Forgotten Realms... they all have aspects and plots that allow for easy port to a different setting.

The story of Tyranny of Dragons was very much in the style of Dragonlance. Dragonlance players could probably adapt the Tyranny it to their campaign rather easily.

The elemental cultist story of Princes of the Apocalypse is very much in keeping with Greyhawk and the historic Temple adventures. So Greyhawk players could adapt PotA to their own campaigns as needed as well.

And now we have all-powerful demonic lords buried far underneath the ground trying to escape in Out of the Abyss. If Eberron players aren't immediately thinking of how to adapt the path to become a story of the Overlords within Khyber trying to break through to the surface of Khorvaire, I'd wonder what was up with them.

Seems to me... if we wanted to try and guess the next adventure path WotC is going to publish, all we need to do is figure out another big bad which makes for easy transition to one of the other settings they have:

Tiamat and dragons :: Dragonlance
Elemental lords :: Greyhawk
Underground demon lords :: Eberron

Undead lords :: Ravenloft
The Phaerimm (magic users that suck the life out of the land) :: Dark Sun
All-powerful djinn :: Al-Qadim

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
With every bit of information that comes out regarding this I get more excited. All of the scenarios sound interesting and I love how they're wackier than what we've gotten before. I bet crashing a demon wedding will be lovely.

Drizzt will be taking part in this events. (Though in Out of the Abyss fairly minorly.) But he can't take on a Dragon by himself so he really does not stand a chance against a Demon Lord on his own. He is not unbeatable.

Elminsiter lives in a diffrent part of the world and likely has no idea about the Demon Lords and the like. Most major forces likely have no idea about the Demon Lords.

Corpsetaker

First Post
This adventure just sounds.........................awful.

How about we just go ahead and let the gods rampage on the surface, open the gates of Hell and set the Tarrasque loose while we're at it?

I've seen where it was mentioned that the Underdark is a huge place and while it is, I'm sure all the Demon Lords will be rather close. For me, all these super adventures really take away a lot of the mystery out of these legendary creatures and really make the Realms too much over the top.

I'm not a fan of these silly over the top adventures and I wish they would change their direction.

graves3141

First Post
I was super excited for Out of the Abyss but now that I know the story/plot, I'm not so sure. It sounds like a story idea written by some 15 year old kid after smoking a couple of joints...

"Uh, so this drow guy casts a spell and it goes crazy and then, like, there are demon lords all over the Underdark. Demogorgon mangles a big drow city and Zuggtmoy wants to marry a fungus the size of a city... oh yeah, and Drizzt Do’Urden shows up too. Get ready guys, it'll be a wild ride."

Could this be any more insane and over the top? Fighting demons is cool but a bunch of demon lords altogether in the Underdark all at the same time because of a spell or something that got cast and went bad? Talk about being improbable. Also, wouldn't the demon lords just go home after being accidentally summoned... sure, they might want revenge on the person who summoned them in the first place but they have minions for that kind of stuff. I mean, they have genius intelligences and have whole planes to run and manage.

I hope I'm wrong and this adventure turns out to be awesome but it just sounds too weird to me at this point. It's almost like Wizards wanted a AP story so they could have an excuse to publish the stats on a bunch of demon lords... books about drow and demons sell pretty well usually so this might fly off the shelves too even with the bizarre plot line.

Last edited:

Could this be any more insane and over the top? Fighting demons is cool but a bunch of demon lords altogether in the Underdark all at the same time because of a spell or something that got cast and went bad? Talk about being improbable. Also, wouldn't the demon lords just go home after being accidentally summoned... sure, they might want revenge on the person who summoned them in the first place but they have minions for that kind of stuff. I mean, they have genius intelligences and have whole planes to run and manage.

Why would they go home when they can cause chaos and death on the material plane and grow in power. Lets not forget for a Demon Lord getting killed on the Material Plane currently is not even a slap on the wrist. They just show up full strength in the abyss again.

graves3141

First Post
Why would they go home when they can cause chaos and death on the material plane and grow in power. Lets not forget for a Demon Lord getting killed on the Material Plane currently is not even a slap on the wrist. They just show up full strength in the abyss again.

Because they have better things to do than swat flies.

Because they have better things to do than swat flies.

Like what?

Most demon lords plot to get to the material plane. So they can cause destruction and increase their influence and power, Along with causing destruction. The Gnolls were created because Yeenoghu was summoned to the Material Plane one day and went on a rampage.

Demon Lords live for moments like these. Zuggtmoy plans on increasing her power by joining with a city sized fungus, Orcus is going to put a city of mind flayers under his control, Demogorgon is destroying a major base of a powerful rival Demon Lord. Graz'zt is off recruiting. Juiblex for sure has no reason to go back, as the only thing he does is destroy and devour things and turn them into copies of himself, and there are more things to devour in the Underdark then in his Layer were he has wiped pretty much everything out already.

Remove ads