• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
I did a quick pdf save through open office - I think it does look nicer although I am sure that somebody with some actual proficiency will do a better job. Anyhow here it is.

edit: nevermind for now I chose a rubbish upload site. Give me a little till I find a better one.

edit2: Raiders of Oakhurst v.1

Last edited:

RyukenAngel said:
Interesting, but it is a shame, IMO, that there could not also be a dungeon and an official explanaton of the skills. Traps would have been nice too. But considering we totaly lack these resources, I understand :D

Well, I did put some traps in the first encounter area in this adventure ... but without more information on the trap rules, they are pretty minimal (though they should add some interesting changes to combat movement).

It would be cool if WotC would release one of the dungeons from D&D EXP, but until they do, we'll just have to make them up for ourselves.

And thanks for the pdf conversions!

Threedeesix

Explorer
Awesome!

The return of Meepo. My group will love it as Meepo became our groups mascot after they freed him from a life of sevitude.

Thanks for the hard work. We were suppose to play tonight so this would have been perfect timing but a bad snowstorm isn't going to let that happen. Oh, well. Next week it is.

Thanks again,

Rod

Alikar

First Post
Here is my PDF version of the small adventure. I managed to add a few descriptions here and there and made some minor grammar changes. Hopefully what I've done with the formating will also help in the readability of the adventure too. :)

Attachments

• Raiders of Oakhurst v1.zip
    283.3 KB · Views: 816

Ashrem Bayle said:
Now if only we had a good rules compilation.

Ask and ye shall receive ...

I've added a Quick Play Rules compilation I put together from information complied here at EN World to the first post in the thread. It should be enough to run the adventure. Some of the items may not be entirely right ... but close enough. I've split the document into a Player's and DM's section, so you can print multiple copies to hand out to players. The DM's section has additional conditions for use with the adventure.

I don't have pdf conversion software, so this is in Word .doc format, sorry.

Astros

First Post
Ran this last night with my regular 3.5E grp when a member was out of town.

Heres how it went. Started the night off with 4 players, the warlock, ranger, wizard, and cleric. The first room was ok, but i had to constantly tell my players not to go crazy with their dailys on minions. They dealt with the minions and the lone initial skirmisher didnt have much of chance when the minions fell quickly. But they were able to do some dmg to them and give the players a good feel for 4e combat. Then I had the other 2 skirmishers arrive just as the 4 other minions came out, and the combat advantage started to come into play. My players were very hesitant to move around, still in the 3.5e mindset. So the ranger took massive damage from the skirmishers spears. But patched up with surges after the encounter they choose not to follow the path of the one skirmisher that fled, but rather hop the stream and follow the norther most path.

Where they found an overturned table and the hobgoblins. Initially I had all 4, the two archers, the soldier, and the warcaster in, but it soon became apparent the party was in dire straights. The fighter was just destroying their front line, they were all stuck in the small causeway, the archers were consistently hitting people for massive dmg, and the warcaster, my god his dmg output was incredible. Needless to say, even after 1 of the archers "fled" to give them some breathing room, the party wiped (wizard ran) without downing a single hobgoblin.

So we reset, I used the same encounter stats, they used all 6 chars, and I just plopped them on some random road with a barricade. With 6 this fight was still tough, but it was spread out enough in terms of damage to let them really see 4e combat. The fight still took a surprisingly long time, but it was a little better on their end for rolling. Although the look on the wizards face as he thought he got the jump on the warcaster was priceless, as I had the warcaster smash him in the face with his lightning rod.

After this encounter I just reverted back to the adventure and ran nightscale as is. Wow. 4e Dragons can be tough bastards. First of all, dragons are not impossible. They are tough, but they can be killed. The dragon encounter would have literally lasted 4 hours by itself, I stopped it at about 1.5hrs. Maybe when things pick up and we know the rules, but my players were quick about actions, its just the dragon is tough to hit and takes so little dmg compared to its massive 280hp. Dragons seem to have 1 or 2 key abilities, but when expended the combat becomes repetitive. This dragon would've prolly dealt enough dmg to hurt them before they could fell it, but the rounds became the same. breath, darkness, dbl claw,breath,darkness,dbl claw, rinse repeat. Granted the dragon wasnt doing massive dmg with any attacks, but it would wear them down. I suppose its to be expected, the encounter is a "boss" encounter and prolly not appropriate for 6 1st lvl chars to consistently "defeat". But it was fun and my players really like how dragons will be in this edition.

Time also seemed to fly, and where the increased dmg dealt by both players and monsters might make you think combat is quick, its not. With second winds, cleric surges, and pally's lay on hands, the battle can keep going against the massive HP of the mobs.

This edition finally feels right. I no longer will have to look at my players faces of disgust at lvl10 when I throw some orcs at them. I will no longer have pain when I have to design 15 10th lvl orcs either. It seems the monsters will scale appropriately and with little effort. While the kobolds might have been a joke, they were no where near the joke they are in 3.5e. And the hobgoblins might have given my players nightmares.

im_robertb

First Post
"Started the night off with 4 players, the warlock, ranger, wizard, and cleric"

I think it should be noted that the adventure is set up for 5 or 6 characters, with scaling information at the beginning for 4 or less, which would probably help explain the immense difficulty of the Hobgoblin room. Might've been significantly easier if one of the archers was absent from the start, as indicated.

Remove ads