Ran/Played my first game of 4e yesterday.

Tortoise

First Post
Something I noticed on thinking about how the game played out.

Combat was lots faster. I think part of that was how the new rules helped normally indecisive players or those who don't normally know what they can try, to have options at their finger tips through the powers. Yes, they can stunt using wonderful page 42 of the DMG to help, but some players aren't as creative as others and some look for guidance. I think 4e has handled that aspect well based on what went on in this run.

With little exception players were quick to act, and my group quickly figured out the teamwork option and took great advantage of my tactical blunders (giving them access to artillery with minimal blockers between them, etc).

As I post more of the links to the fliker pics I'll discuss a little more of how the different encounters played out and talk about the game play aspects.

Last edited:

Tortoise

First Post
Here's another look from the front of the tavern, showing the upper level in the distance. Notice what looks like a halfling behind the table up there ...
That is actually a goblin sharpshooter covered by an illusion. He struck the first blow, pinning Prevar Esco's arm to the table below and signalling the attack.

IMG_1184a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The other "halflings" shed their illusionary disguises to reveal a tavern crawling with goblins.

The light coming through the store-room doorway below that upper level was a candle the photographer had put there to experiment with light. That room was actually pitch black. You'll see it later.

Tortoise

First Post
Three of our heroes join Prevar and his tiefling bodyguard for drinks and information exchange. On the left in the red cape with rapier is Valisar the bard. Ahead is Joab the Dragonborn fighter, to the right, between Prevar and his bodyguard is Zam the human monk.

IMG_1147a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Zam used his daily in the first encounter. He managed to line up three goblim minions and take them all out in one awesome turn, but not before they had killed Prevar.

By the bar, Brak, the half-orc barbarian orders his drinks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elwynsattic/3652623845/in/set-72157620208209871/

Tortoise

First Post
From the store room, the goblin hexer casts his devastating spells.

IMG_1963 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The stinging hex proved to be a nasty thing for stopping the monk in his tracks, taking him down quickly. It also did a number on the fighter. Both fell to the hexer's powers, but both were healed and later the party set out after the escaped hexer.

Tortoise

First Post
One the party set out after the hexer they discoverd some caverns. They found their way blocked by a shallow stream, a burning bridge, and ominous signs ahead.

IMG_1163a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Worse still, in the distance an ancient steam powered machine lurched drunkenly about as the unskilled goblin tries to use it to break the dam that could flood the cavern and loos still more carnivorous swarms of fish into the treacherous waters.

IMG_1947 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was the skill challenge I built into this encounter. Looking back at how it played, I realize I need to put more thought into skill challenges to heighten the tension and make them work. The concept was there, the execution was lacking.

Tortoise

First Post
Across the river hides the goblin acolyte of maglubiyet. He managed to use his power to push the dragonborn into the water near a reskinned needlefange drake swarm (now limited to water only and called flesh-riper fish swarm). Those things are nasty!

IMG_1164a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Notice the raft made from a door across the other side of the stream ... the party had to use their jump skills in a couple spots, this being one of them. They chose not to cross the flaming bridge. (Zone which would burn and cause ongoing fire damage).

The bard later fell into a 10 foot deep crevice for 6 damage after rolling a 1 while trying to jump the chasm up by the skull marked door.

The party later dragged the raft up and used it to bridge the gap so the fighter and barbarian wouldn't have to jump and the bard could reclaim some dignity.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
This was the skill challenge I built into this encounter. Looking back at how it played, I realize I need to put more thought into skill challenges to heighten the tension and make them work. The concept was there, the execution was lacking.

You're not alone, it doesn't come easy for lots of people, myself included. The concept is so great, but the execution either takes tons of practice, natural talent, or better rules.

Remove ads