• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Encounter Generator UPDATED June 12th

Asmor

First Post
Please see http://www.enworld.org/forum/blog.php?b=14

[sblock=Original post]I'm pleased to announce the first version of my 4th Edition Random Encounter Generator.

Currently, it creates a level-appropriate encounter at random. Although the monsters are selected entirely at random (for example, it might team up a a Githyanki and a Githzerai if both are in the level range), it does try to choose an appropriate amount of them based on status and role. For example, you'll only ever have a single copy of a leader or solo monster (unless, by sheer coincidence, it happens to pick the same monster twice as it passes through). On the other hand, it tries to fit in between 4 and 12 minions, 2-4 soldiers, 1-3 brutes, etc.

Eventually, I'd like to get it so that it can create encounters based on the encounter templates in the DMG, so that there's a more logical structure to the encounters. I'd also like to make it more likely to select similar types of monsters (for example, pairing together different kobolds).

EDIT:

The generator's been updated. Among the new features and fixes:

*Support for multiple sources. At the moment, only Dragon 364 and the Monster Manual are available. You can choose which sources to use.
*Allows for more control. For example, you can completely disallow solo monsters, or set how many minions you want of a particular type.
*Changes to the algorithm to prevent the same creature from being rolled twice.

Added June 11th:

Minor update. Changed the layout a bit, and completed filling in page numbers for all entries. Also, added sections for all entries (articles, if from a magazine; 'creature type' if from the Monster Manual)

Added June 12th:

Monsters from The Ashen Covenant Dragon article added. Also added page where you can see a list of all the monsters used in the generator, linked to under the list of sources but here's a direct link:

http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eEncounterGen/lister.php[/sblock]

Last edited:

djdaidouji

First Post
The first time I used it, it gave me all elves and orcs, and the second time it gave me all skeletons. Though I guess that was just coincidence. I particularly like the elf and orc combo. First glance it was like "thats a bit too random," but thinking about it, it could be a cool hook. Next week, my players are totally going against the Forest Allegiance, a group of crude-for-an-elf elves and polite-for-an-orc orcs.

I can see myself using this in the future!

Asmor

First Post
Yeah, I'm finding the randomness actually works pretty well.

For example, someone on LiveJournal mentioned they got yuan-ti, basilisks and drow. Sounds to me like the PCs just stumbled upon a drow ambassador who was in yuan-ti lands to broker an alliance.

Or another time I got a few kobold slingers and an arseload of kruthick hatchlings. Makes me think of the slingers on a ledge pelting the PCs while they deal with the hatchlings in a pit below...

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
That's not an Orc Raider - that's an Orc Pokemon Trainer. ;)

Qty Name Type Exp
1 Stirge Level 1 Lurker 100
1 Orc Raider Level 3 Skirmisher 150
1 Hyena Level 2 Skirmisher 125
1 Skeleton Level 3 Soldier 150

Total experience: 525

Encounter level: 1

*edit*

Heh. Found an even cooler encounter:

Qty Name Type Exp
3 Hyena Level 2 Skirmisher 125
1 Warhorse Level 3 Brute 150

Total experience: 525

Encounter level: 1

Last edited:

djdaidouji

First Post
12 Halfling Stout Level 2 Minion 31
1 Fire Beetle Level 1 Brute 100

1 Guard Drake Level 2 Brute 125
1 Spiretop Drake Level 1 Skirmisher 100
2 Needlefang Drake Swarm Level 2 Soldier 125
(That one was pretty lucky!)

...Okay, I tried a few more times and nothing came up very interesting. But still, I like 12 halflings charging at you behind a single beetle. "Everyone, follow the beetle to victory!" "Ew, it's rolling poop." "Everyone, follow to poop to victory!"

Boarstorm

First Post
Totally bookmarked. Thanks, Asmor!

Edit: I also tried the adventure seed generator.

"The Faerie Concubine's Obscene Sorcery"
"The Unchaste Death of the Demon Virgin"

*cough* *cough*

Last edited:

Remove ads