• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random ideas you never saw through

What are some ideas for your campaign, your character, or your rules you came up with but never managed to really flesh out or use?

For instance, I wanted to create a series of variant bards, each tied to a different style of music in the real world - hip hop, funk, jazz, rock, country, R&B, polka - and run a game where each PC was a different style bard.

Or I had a time travel campaign idea, but the players responded so negatively to even the hint of time travel in an early session that I dropped the whole thing. Really it was just going to be self-indulgent of me, letting me take the current PCs to all the cool stuff I'd come up with for the history of my world, which I'd never had a chance to use before.

I statted up a 36th-level pseudo-Kratos from God of War for a one-shot against that CR 40 red dragon in Faerun. I never got to play him.

FnordBear

First Post
For me it would probably be two things topping my list.

1) I came up with a setting to play an episodic game in, each session calculated to be an "episode". Would have been set in a world recovering from a magical world-war and following the exploits of the crew of the Airship Arcanist as it explores thier devestated world. Players would have been able to pick any of the prestated crew to play out.

Didnt get off the ground :(

2) The other idea Im affraid will fall by the wayside is my all-spionics setting. The base concept is a quasi-steampunk setting. No magic at all, just psionics, very few races, humans and a few of the more human like races (like Maenads, Illumans, and such) with swashbuckling and gunslinging adventures.

Sorta trying to get it off the ground...

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I wanted to build a variant monk progression for a race of necromantic kung-fu villains and make them the stock enemies of a campaign. that campaign kind of piffled before I had a chance to implement them. I have always liked the idea, though, and I keep meaning to do the necessary work to make them available for my current campaign.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Hmmm...I can't think of any ideas I won't have used within the next year or so (advantages of having a game in development where new ideas can be put to use), with a few age-old exceptions that I just can't make work no matter what I do:

- a useful way of having class skills naturally deteriorate over time for retired characters, that works reasonably well for all classes

- a time-travel campaign where the PCs have some control over what time they go to, that doesn't immediately become broken beyond repair

- a way of allowing characters to have some out-of-class skills due to their upbringing that doesn't give those characters too much of an advantage and doesn't force them to multi-class (example: Wood Elves might have learned some Rangering skills just as a matter of growing up, but I don't want them to have to be part-Ranger nor do I want Wood Elves to come with that much of a built-in advantage)

Lanefan

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Had an idea for an all aquatic campign during the 2E days, but never got to fully flesh it out. Instead I picked the cream of the crop and incorporated it into my homebrew.

Stoat

Adventurer
1) An arctic-themed campaign culminating in the discovery of a buried starship inhabited by Spellweavers. Essentially Expedition to the Barrier Peaks with more Spellweavers.

2) Dimensional Steam Unit Tau: an elite cadre of gnomish steam-powered mecha that travel the planes having adventures! I wanted to begin with an expedition to that layer of Acheron that's full of busted umbrellas.

Aeric

Explorer
IDEA #1: a fantasy world using the races and creatures of the Star Wars universe, and replacing magic with the Force. The backstory was that a colony ship crash-landed on a planet milennia ago because of a strange magnetic field surrounding it. This same field prevented any communication off-planet. The survivors of the crash swiftly descended into barbarism, eventually building a new civilization over the next several hundred years. There were even "gods" of a sort: the disembodied spirits of a long-dead race of highly-advanced aliens made up the magnetic field surrounding the planet. These spirits wanted to play god, and so they lured the colonists to their planet. Some of the spirits follow the Light side of the Force, others the Dark side.

IDEA #2: A domain in Ravenloft controlled by a Sith lord, perhaps even Palpatine himself (could the bluish gases emitted from the shaft that Vader threw him down in RotJ have actually marked his passage into the Demiplane of Dread?).

One idea that I started but never finished had to do with special achievements in skills. It starts with the notion that my worlds NPC's are, for the most part, NOT going to be the greatest thing the world has ever seen and that in many/most skills the PC's would eventually outhsine them. So... PC's could perform certain special deeds or make "new" discoveries based on reaching a high level of skill ranks or just managing to accumulate noteworthy levels of bonuses.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Aeric said:
IDEA #1: a fantasy world using the races and creatures of the Star Wars universe, and replacing magic with the Force. The backstory was that a colony ship crash-landed on a planet milennia ago because of a strange magnetic field surrounding it. This same field prevented any communication off-planet. The survivors of the crash swiftly descended into barbarism, eventually building a new civilization over the next several hundred years. There were even "gods" of a sort: the disembodied spirits of a long-dead race of highly-advanced aliens made up the magnetic field surrounding the planet. These spirits wanted to play god, and so they lured the colonists to their planet. Some of the spirits follow the Light side of the Force, others the Dark side.

IDEA #2: A domain in Ravenloft controlled by a Sith lord, perhaps even Palpatine himself (could the bluish gases emitted from the shaft that Vader threw him down in RotJ have actually marked his passage into the Demiplane of Dread?).
Both very interesting, except the hard part for me would be to make it unrecognizable as a SW universe; otherwise the SW fans in our crew would instantly know more about it than I do...

Lanefan

Remove ads