Level Up (A5E) Random LU Feedback

By "completely" do you mean "the rules run the same, but A5e characters are quite a bit more powerful in other pillars of play besides combat so aren't balanced against 5e characters"?
A5e subclasses are much more like O5e subclasses than classes are, for instance. A5e subclasses also don‘t hand out much more in the way of social/exploration features than O5e subclasses, so O5e subclasss can compare quite well. The result is that O5e subclasses are some the best O5e content to use in Level Up.

Xaielao

Explorer
1. It's called Studied Adversary, not Favored Enemy. It's similar mechanically but different flavor-wise. You can replace the current adversary because your character is studying a new one to track down and slay.

2. Expert Foraging restores up to 5 HP and/or fulfills the Supply requirement of up to 5 people once a day. It's simple and thematic. Exploration Knacks aren't designed to be powerful abilities but useful 'knacks' your character can perform.

3. If Warden doesn't fit the character, then by all means use an o5e subclass. As other's have said, the game is backwards compatible. Also as new books hit we'll get more class archetypes to broaden the selection, I'm sure. :)

4 & 5. Yes, Warlocks are some now. It's my personal favorite class in D&D so I'm really happy with the a5e changes. Oh and yes, Exploration Knacks are cool. ;)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, I don't think Studied Adversary is silly compared to Favored Enemy. It solves the long-standing Ranger Problem of picking a Favored Enemy that you never run into during the game. Flavor-wise, it works because the Ranger has a working knowledge of most creatures, that s/he improves on by doing research/going over knowledge during a rest. Seems pretty good to me.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
  • One element that has come up a lot....recently killed enemies and supply. Generally how I have run this, is if the party kills an edible enemy in a day, that covers all their needed supply for the day. However, without a means to preserve the meat, they can't store the supply for later. It would be nice to see some guidance on this though in future books, it has come up quite a bit in my game.
ohhhh.gif

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
  • One element that has come up a lot....recently killed enemies and supply. Generally how I have run this, is if the party kills an edible enemy in a day, that covers all their needed supply for the day. However, without a means to preserve the meat, they can't store the supply for later. It would be nice to see some guidance on this though in future books, it has come up quite a bit in my game.
I haven't actually had players try to break down & converta kill into supply yet but suspect some of that might be just because they already have so much supply. The nonexpiry of supply beyond "you liose half" events has been a bit of a beacon drawing attention to supply capacities in my game with a high strength fighter, high strength orc wildling who carries double supply from something. The group also has a low strength cleric & low strength rogue/warlock aiming for a synergy feat but the orc alone carries so much supply that it 's basically a walking talking food relief shipment.

A useful thing that is likely to push weaker characters into relying on stronger ones to packmule their supply is the +1 bulky item capacity if not carrying supply in the AG330 sidebar

Stalker0

Legend
The nonexpiry of supply beyond "you liose half" events has been a bit of a beacon drawing attention to supply capacities in my game with a high strength fighter, high strength orc wildling who carries double supply from something. The group also has a low strength cleric & low strength rogue/warlock aiming for a synergy feat but the orc alone carries so much supply that it 's basically a walking talking food relief shipment.
I agree with this. I actually used the containers variant rule, and most of my party only has 2 containers each. Even then, due to the ranger's bonuses (both the double food from hunt and the expert foraging knack), supply is simply not a factor.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree with this. I actually used the containers variant rule, and most of my party only has 2 containers each. Even then, due to the ranger's bonuses (both the double food from hunt and the expert foraging knack), supply is simply not a factor.
The Narrator can change that with a Q-like click of a finger. It's very much designed on easy-setting, so you have the ability to step it up as you wish. The availability and loss of supply are a great way to dial the difficulty.

Remove ads