• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Random Spellbook Generator

lobo316

First Post
Greetings All,

Does anyone know of a decent random spell book or scroll generator? I'm running the PCs against a number of wizards and I'd like to drop a few spell books here and there, but I'd like for 'em to be a bit random in content (and I hate having to create spell books, heh, heh).

Also, same question with regards to a random scroll generator (as opposed to "level x scroll). I'd like an generator that actually gives me a scroll (not a scroll level).

Thanks!!!

BoldItalic

First Post
I can generate you some plausible lists. How many do you need? What level of wizard do you want the spell books for? And what schools are they?

Here's a spell book for a random 5th-level Conjurer, for example.

1. Absorb Elements, Catapult, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Fog Cloud, Ice Knife, Identify, Magic Missile
  2. Flaming Sphere, Locate Object, Magic Mouth, Web
  3. Nondetection, Sleet Storm

Or a 4th-level Necromancer

1. Alarm, Catapult, Chromatic Orb, False Life, Ice Knife, Protection from Evil and Good, Ray of Sickness, Silent Image, Thunderwave, Witch Bolt
  2. Gentle Repose, Ray of Enfeeblement

Ganymede81

First Post
I don't actually detail an NPC's spellbook. When a PC loots one of them, I allow a wizard PC to copy something like 0-3 unknown wizard spells that both the PC and the NPC are able to cast.

lobo316

First Post
I can generate you some plausible lists. How many do you need? What level of wizard do you want the spell books for? And what schools are they?

Here's a spell book for a random 5th-level Conjurer, for example.

1. Absorb Elements, Catapult, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Fog Cloud, Ice Knife, Identify, Magic Missile
  2. Flaming Sphere, Locate Object, Magic Mouth, Web
  3. Nondetection, Sleet Storm

Or a 4th-level Necromancer

1. Alarm, Catapult, Chromatic Orb, False Life, Ice Knife, Protection from Evil and Good, Ray of Sickness, Silent Image, Thunderwave, Witch Bolt
  2. Gentle Repose, Ray of Enfeeblement

Well heck, I don't want to put you through the effort, lol. I could that, heh, heh. But, if you want, I'll use whatever you post. I can already use that Necromancer one for example. That's perfect and it's "neutral" (so to speak). You don't know my players or campaign, so whatever you put together will feel more "organic".

Generate one for a 9th level necromancer please ;)

Thanks!!

I'd still like to find a site for randomly generating spell books and scrolls, but having someone else, who is truly a "neutral" party is kinda neat. Appreciate it!!!

lobo316

First Post
I don't actually detail an NPC's spellbook. When a PC loots one of them, I allow a wizard PC to copy something like 0-3 unknown wizard spells that both the PC and the NPC are able to cast.

I like that idea was well. That works really well for "simplicity sake".

BoldItalic

First Post
Well heck, I don't want to put you through the effort, lol. I could that, heh, heh. But, if you want, I'll use whatever you post. I can already use that Necromancer one for example. That's perfect and it's "neutral" (so to speak). You don't know my players or campaign, so whatever you put together will feel more "organic".

Generate one for a 9th level necromancer please ;)

Thanks!!

I'd still like to find a site for randomly generating spell books and scrolls, but having someone else, who is truly a "neutral" party is kinda neat. Appreciate it!!!

Here are six random Necromancer-9

• Necromancer-9: Grease, Unseen Servant, Feather Fall, Dispel Magic, Fog Cloud, Fear, Mage Armor, Knock, Longstrider, Misty Step, Jump, Protection from Evil and Good, Spider Climb, Magic Mouth, Glyph of Warding, Legend Lore, Ice Knife, Scorching Ray, Banishment, Illusory Script, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Watery Sphere
  • Necromancer-9: Nondetection, Magic Circle, Cone of Cold, Expeditious Retreat, Hallucinatory Terrain, Ice Storm, Gust of Wind, Magic Weapon, Shield, Rope Trick, Silent Image, Gaseous Form, Mage Armor, Comprehend Languages, Wall of Water, Feather Fall, Conjure Minor Elementals, Color Spray, Locate Object, Jump, Levitate, Arcane Lock
  • Necromancer-9: Wall of Force, Witch Bolt, Expeditious Retreat, Melf's Acid Arrow, Illusory Script, Thunderwave, Burning Hands, Stoneskin, Grease, Identify, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Darkness, Find Familiar, Watery Sphere, Cloud of Daggers, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Tenser's Floating Disk, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, Banishment, Magic Mouth
  • Necromancer-9: Bestow Curse, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, Banishment, Stinking Cloud, Silent Image, Legend Lore, Animate Objects, Blight, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Charm Person, Haste, Illusory Script, Watery Sphere, Magic Missile, Vampiric Touch, Dust Devil, Witch Bolt, Disguise Self, Identify, Grease, Nystul's Magic Aura, Mage Armor
  • Necromancer-9: Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Alter Self, Stoneskin, Jump, Sending, Wall of Force, Absorb Elements, Shield, Spider Climb, Levitate, Magic Circle, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Disguise Self, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Expeditious Retreat, Magic Weapon, Unseen Servant, Magic Mouth, Erupting Earth, Flame Arrows, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
  • Necromancer-9: Ray of Sickness, Dust Devil, Hold Person, Melf's Acid Arrow, Lightning Bolt, Elemental Bane, Telekinesis, Haste, Animate Dead, Arcane Eye, Hallucinatory Terrain, Absorb Elements, Erupting Earth, Shield, Identify, Earthbind, Disguise Self, Blur, Phantasmal Force, Find Familiar, Thunderwave

And here are 20 more random ones for levels 2-12

1. Illusion-3: Charm Person, Tenser's Floating Disk, Illusory Script, Fog Cloud, Protection from Evil and Good, Jump, Longstrider, Invisibility, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Expeditious Retreat
  2. Enchantment-4: Witch Bolt, Earth Tremor, Sleep, Identify, Charm Person, Blur, Longstrider, Grease, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Crown of Madness, Hold Person, Tenser's Floating Disk
  3. Transmutation-3: Longstrider, Detect Magic, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Tenser's Floating Disk, Sleep, Rope Trick, Chromatic Orb, Illusory Script, Unseen Servant, Disguise Self
  4. Conjuration-3: Magic Missile, Levitate, Illusory Script, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Misty Step, Find Familiar, Sleep, Ice Knife, Chromatic Orb, Expeditious Retreat
  5. Evocation-3: Protection from Evil and Good, Tenser's Floating Disk, Grease, Witch Bolt, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Unseen Servant, Silent Image, Burning Hands, Darkness
  6. Conjuration-4: Alarm, Tenser's Floating Disk, Silent Image, Dust Devil, Scorching Ray, Burning Hands, Fog Cloud, Charm Person, Web, Magic Missile, Grease, Thunderwave
  7. Conjuration-4: Protection from Evil and Good, Web, Mage Armor, Grease, Alarm, Dust Devil, Jump, Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, Find Familiar, Catapult, Tenser's Floating Disk
  8. Evocation-5: Gentle Repose, Shatter, Comprehend Languages, Protection from Evil and Good, Scorching Ray, Ray of Sickness, Gust of Wind, Fireball, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Tenser's Floating Disk, Fog Cloud, Sleep, Longstrider
  9. Transmutation-4: Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar, Expeditious Retreat, Chromatic Orb, Jump, Sleep, Shield, Longstrider, Skywrite, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Unseen Servant, Enlarge/Reduce
  10. Abjuration-7: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Absorb Elements, Pyrotechnics, Knock, Tenser's Floating Disk, Earth Tremor, Darkvision, Arcane Lock, Burning Hands, Shield, Banishment, Magic Missile, Magic Circle, Mage Armor, Counterspell, Expeditious Retreat, Alarm, Unseen Servant
  11. Abjuration-4: Color Spray, Earth Tremor, Mage Armor, Sleep, Melf's Acid Arrow, Protection from Evil and Good, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Arcane Lock, Grease, Chromatic Orb, Ray of Enfeeblement
  12. Enchantment-3: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Feather Fall, Comprehend Languages, Illusory Script, Thunderwave, Crown of Madness, Magic Missile, Invisibility, Ice Knife, Protection from Evil and Good
  13. Divination-8: Tongues, Bestow Curse, Arcane Eye, Detect Thoughts, Chromatic Orb, Major Image, Locate Creature, Burning Hands, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Mage Armor, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Clairvoyance, Vampiric Touch, Identify, Comprehend Languages, See Invisibility, Longstrider, Tenser's Floating Disk, Illusory Script
  14. Evocation-6: Identify, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, False Life, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Magic Missile, Rope Trick, Grease, Thunderwave, Chromatic Orb, Sending, Longstrider, Witch Bolt, Jump, Gust of Wind, Continual Flame, Fireball
  15. Illusion-4: Magic Mouth, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Catapult, Chromatic Orb, Darkness, Fog Cloud, Feather Fall, Ray of Enfeeblement, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Mirror Image, Illusory Script
  16. Transmutation-9: Skywrite, Ray of Sickness, Rope Trick, Find Familiar, False Life, Melf's Acid Arrow, Protection from Evil and Good, Water Breathing, Jump, Major Image, Elemental Bane, Disguise Self, Control Winds, Feather Fall, Ice Knife, Blink, Web, Color Spray, Polymorph, Wall of Stone, Darkvision, Darkness
  17. Necromancy-5: Ray of Enfeeblement, Blindness/Deafness, Sleet Storm, False Life, Ray of Sickness, Fog Cloud, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Identify, Tenser's Floating Disk, Earth Tremor, Blur, Longstrider, Chromatic Orb, Animate Dead
  18. Evocation-4: Longstrider, Burning Hands, Continual Flame, Illusory Script, Fog Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Witch Bolt, Catapult, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Ray of Sickness, Ray of Enfeeblement, Silent Image
  19. Evocation-10: Protection from Evil and Good, Wall of Fire, Hold Person, Darkvision, Longstrider, Detect Magic, Shatter, Fire Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Immolation, False Life, Grease, Wall of Sand, Dominate Person, Absorb Elements, Ice Knife, Dream, Color Spray, Chromatic Orb, Melf's Acid Arrow, Melf's Minute Meteors, Wall of Stone, Find Familiar, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
  20. Necromancy-2: Ice Knife, Ray of Sickness, Disguise Self, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave, False Life, Absorb Elements, Illusory Script

Note that spells from PotA/EE Player's Companion are included. If you are not using those, ignore them otherwise it's a good way to introduce them ;)

Enjoy !

lobo316

First Post
Here are six random Necromancer-9

• Necromancer-9: Grease, Unseen Servant, Feather Fall, Dispel Magic, Fog Cloud, Fear, Mage Armor, Knock, Longstrider, Misty Step, Jump, Protection from Evil and Good, Spider Climb, Magic Mouth, Glyph of Warding, Legend Lore, Ice Knife, Scorching Ray, Banishment, Illusory Script, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Watery Sphere
  • Necromancer-9: Nondetection, Magic Circle, Cone of Cold, Expeditious Retreat, Hallucinatory Terrain, Ice Storm, Gust of Wind, Magic Weapon, Shield, Rope Trick, Silent Image, Gaseous Form, Mage Armor, Comprehend Languages, Wall of Water, Feather Fall, Conjure Minor Elementals, Color Spray, Locate Object, Jump, Levitate, Arcane Lock
  • Necromancer-9: Wall of Force, Witch Bolt, Expeditious Retreat, Melf's Acid Arrow, Illusory Script, Thunderwave, Burning Hands, Stoneskin, Grease, Identify, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Darkness, Find Familiar, Watery Sphere, Cloud of Daggers, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Tenser's Floating Disk, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, Banishment, Magic Mouth
  • Necromancer-9: Bestow Curse, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, Banishment, Stinking Cloud, Silent Image, Legend Lore, Animate Objects, Blight, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Charm Person, Haste, Illusory Script, Watery Sphere, Magic Missile, Vampiric Touch, Dust Devil, Witch Bolt, Disguise Self, Identify, Grease, Nystul's Magic Aura, Mage Armor
  • Necromancer-9: Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Alter Self, Stoneskin, Jump, Sending, Wall of Force, Absorb Elements, Shield, Spider Climb, Levitate, Magic Circle, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Disguise Self, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Expeditious Retreat, Magic Weapon, Unseen Servant, Magic Mouth, Erupting Earth, Flame Arrows, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
  • Necromancer-9: Ray of Sickness, Dust Devil, Hold Person, Melf's Acid Arrow, Lightning Bolt, Elemental Bane, Telekinesis, Haste, Animate Dead, Arcane Eye, Hallucinatory Terrain, Absorb Elements, Erupting Earth, Shield, Identify, Earthbind, Disguise Self, Blur, Phantasmal Force, Find Familiar, Thunderwave

And here are 20 more random ones for levels 2-12

1. Illusion-3: Charm Person, Tenser's Floating Disk, Illusory Script, Fog Cloud, Protection from Evil and Good, Jump, Longstrider, Invisibility, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Expeditious Retreat
  2. Enchantment-4: Witch Bolt, Earth Tremor, Sleep, Identify, Charm Person, Blur, Longstrider, Grease, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Crown of Madness, Hold Person, Tenser's Floating Disk
  3. Transmutation-3: Longstrider, Detect Magic, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Tenser's Floating Disk, Sleep, Rope Trick, Chromatic Orb, Illusory Script, Unseen Servant, Disguise Self
  4. Conjuration-3: Magic Missile, Levitate, Illusory Script, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Misty Step, Find Familiar, Sleep, Ice Knife, Chromatic Orb, Expeditious Retreat
  5. Evocation-3: Protection from Evil and Good, Tenser's Floating Disk, Grease, Witch Bolt, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Unseen Servant, Silent Image, Burning Hands, Darkness
  6. Conjuration-4: Alarm, Tenser's Floating Disk, Silent Image, Dust Devil, Scorching Ray, Burning Hands, Fog Cloud, Charm Person, Web, Magic Missile, Grease, Thunderwave
  7. Conjuration-4: Protection from Evil and Good, Web, Mage Armor, Grease, Alarm, Dust Devil, Jump, Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, Find Familiar, Catapult, Tenser's Floating Disk
  8. Evocation-5: Gentle Repose, Shatter, Comprehend Languages, Protection from Evil and Good, Scorching Ray, Ray of Sickness, Gust of Wind, Fireball, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Tenser's Floating Disk, Fog Cloud, Sleep, Longstrider
  9. Transmutation-4: Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar, Expeditious Retreat, Chromatic Orb, Jump, Sleep, Shield, Longstrider, Skywrite, Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, Unseen Servant, Enlarge/Reduce
  10. Abjuration-7: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Absorb Elements, Pyrotechnics, Knock, Tenser's Floating Disk, Earth Tremor, Darkvision, Arcane Lock, Burning Hands, Shield, Banishment, Magic Missile, Magic Circle, Mage Armor, Counterspell, Expeditious Retreat, Alarm, Unseen Servant
  11. Abjuration-4: Color Spray, Earth Tremor, Mage Armor, Sleep, Melf's Acid Arrow, Protection from Evil and Good, Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Arcane Lock, Grease, Chromatic Orb, Ray of Enfeeblement
  12. Enchantment-3: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Feather Fall, Comprehend Languages, Illusory Script, Thunderwave, Crown of Madness, Magic Missile, Invisibility, Ice Knife, Protection from Evil and Good
  13. Divination-8: Tongues, Bestow Curse, Arcane Eye, Detect Thoughts, Chromatic Orb, Major Image, Locate Creature, Burning Hands, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Mage Armor, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Clairvoyance, Vampiric Touch, Identify, Comprehend Languages, See Invisibility, Longstrider, Tenser's Floating Disk, Illusory Script
  14. Evocation-6: Identify, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, False Life, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Magic Missile, Rope Trick, Grease, Thunderwave, Chromatic Orb, Sending, Longstrider, Witch Bolt, Jump, Gust of Wind, Continual Flame, Fireball
  15. Illusion-4: Magic Mouth, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Catapult, Chromatic Orb, Darkness, Fog Cloud, Feather Fall, Ray of Enfeeblement, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Mirror Image, Illusory Script
  16. Transmutation-9: Skywrite, Ray of Sickness, Rope Trick, Find Familiar, False Life, Melf's Acid Arrow, Protection from Evil and Good, Water Breathing, Jump, Major Image, Elemental Bane, Disguise Self, Control Winds, Feather Fall, Ice Knife, Blink, Web, Color Spray, Polymorph, Wall of Stone, Darkvision, Darkness
  17. Necromancy-5: Ray of Enfeeblement, Blindness/Deafness, Sleet Storm, False Life, Ray of Sickness, Fog Cloud, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Identify, Tenser's Floating Disk, Earth Tremor, Blur, Longstrider, Chromatic Orb, Animate Dead
  18. Evocation-4: Longstrider, Burning Hands, Continual Flame, Illusory Script, Fog Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Witch Bolt, Catapult, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Ray of Sickness, Ray of Enfeeblement, Silent Image
  19. Evocation-10: Protection from Evil and Good, Wall of Fire, Hold Person, Darkvision, Longstrider, Detect Magic, Shatter, Fire Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Immolation, False Life, Grease, Wall of Sand, Dominate Person, Absorb Elements, Ice Knife, Dream, Color Spray, Chromatic Orb, Melf's Acid Arrow, Melf's Minute Meteors, Wall of Stone, Find Familiar, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
  20. Necromancy-2: Ice Knife, Ray of Sickness, Disguise Self, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave, False Life, Absorb Elements, Illusory Script

Note that spells from PotA/EE Player's Companion are included. If you are not using those, ignore them otherwise it's a good way to introduce them ;)

Enjoy !

Awesome, thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads