D&D 5E Ranged party member keeps running off the map

Caliban

Rules Monkey
So action is GFB. Bonus action is normal weapon attack. That was what I was try to say.

I figured, just spelling it out...not because it's helpful, but because I'm pedantic that way sometimes. *shrug*

But the main point is - yes, plate+shield+Heavy Armor mastery is probably the toughest melee tank going (except possibly Bear Totem Barb).

But going any other option (great weapon, crossbow expert, dual wielding) sacrifices AC (and possibly that 3 DR from armor mastery) for extra damage (and usually better Dex saves - Armor Mastery and plate does no good vs a fireball).

Shield Master does help close the gap though - but that's another feat on top of Heavy Armor Master, so you have to consider what the other builds can use that feat for as well - the great weapon and crossbow expert can use to either increase their damage (sharpshooter for crossbow expert) or their durability (both heavy armor master and great weapon master for the great weapon guy).

Last edited:

nswanson27

First Post
I figured, just spelling it out...not because it's helpful, but because I'm pedantic that way sometimes. *shrug*

But the main point is - yes, plate+shield+Heavy Armor mastery is probably the toughest melee tank going (except possibly Bear Totem Barb).

But going any other option (great weapon, crossbow expert, dual wielding) sacrifices AC (and possibly that 3 DR from armor mastery) for extra damage (and usually better Dex saves - Armor Mastery and plate does no good vs a fireball.

Shield Master does help close the gap though - but that's another feat on top of Heavy Armor Master, so you have to consider what the other builds can use that feat for as well - the great weapon and crossbow expert can use to either increase their damage (sharpshooter for crossbow expert) or their durability (both heavy armor master and great weapon master for the great weapon guy).

Yeah, and then there's the two tank combo where each take the sentinel feat. An enemy attacks one, the other says, "Wrong answer!", and take an OA. But anyways, yes, lots of spectrum to play with.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yeah, and then there's the two tank combo where each take the sentinel feat. An enemy attacks one, the other says, "Wrong answer!", and take an OA. But anyways, yes, lots of spectrum to play with.

That doesn't work - they have to attack someone else who doesn't also have the sentinel feat to trigger the opp attack.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
That doesn't work - they have to attack someone else who doesn't also have the sentinel feat to trigger the opp attack.
Pity the poor enemy who attacks their friend instead, and unleashes TWO AoOs on himself in return.

auburn2

Adventurer
I don't know the artificer rules but having a rifle in a middle-ages campaign is over the top. A primitive flint lock musket I could buy for some crazy tech-savy character, but a rifle no way. If you allow rifles I would want a battleship or at least a civil war monitor ironclad in my naval campaign.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I don't know the artificer rules but having a rifle in a middle-ages campaign is over the top. A primitive flint lock musket I could buy for some crazy tech-savy character, but a rifle no way. If you allow rifles I would want a battleship or at least a civil war monitor ironclad in my naval campaign.

I'm sorry but the two are in no way comparable. A rifle just means a rifled barrel. It doesn't infer a vastly superior weapon in D&D terms. Early rifles (like the flintlock Kentucky rifle) is not significantly better than a Brown Bess musket. Slightly more accurate, longer range, neither of which have that much impact in the game. It took about another century before rifles either had enough shots or reloaded fast enough to be much better than a musket (or a bow/crossbow for that matter) in a game with this level of detail.

In no way comparable to going from an age of sail ship to an ironclad.

GameOgre

Adventurer
They got sharpshooter feat and a artificer(gunsmith) rifle. Every single fight they use their movement to get further and further and further away to the point where I sometimes run out of map... Plus, they get so far away that no enemy can reach them and they end up not really getting damaged at all.

I've thought about having random monsters pop out since they get so far... what else can I do?

Get a bigger map? I mean there is nothing wrong with what he is doing per say. It does have drawbacks and I can see your having issues with it but many, Get a bigger battlemat.

If that's what the player wants to do and its well within his rights to do so, why take issue with it? There are tons of reasons why being that far from your group all alone might suck from time to time without going out of your way to mess with him.

Let him enjoy range combat, I mean it's a legit tactic!

BoldItalic

First Post
I think a practical lesson we can draw from this thread is that if you allow the UA Artificer class, you must expect to have to handle weapons with 500ft ranges. You can accommodate that in TOTM but if you use minis with a scale of 5ft=1 inch, you are going to need a gaming table about ten feet long. If you have two gunsmiths in the party and they spread out, you will need a gaming table about twenty feet square and some ten-foot poles to move the minis around.

You enter a vaulted room about 30' square with no obvious exits. The centre of the room is entirely occupied by a large wooden table covered in a cloth or tapestry depicting an unknown land as seen from the air. Suspended over the centre of the table, hanging by a chain from the roof, is a chandelier that emits a magical white light. Lying on the table, seemingly scattered at random, are four ten-foot poles. The odour of spicy food lingers in the air.

Remove ads