D&D 5E Ranged Rogues. Tasha's Changed My Mind

Zardnaar

Legend
Mistwell pointed this out before can cinfirm. Last week I saw a Tasha's steady aim Rogue build using a hand crossbow.

Drow Rogue with elven accuracy.

And a twinned haste. Enabling two sneak attacks a round.

I don't think he missed ever even with -2 to hit firing through allies.

And rolled two crits.

Without steady aim I still think a Rogue should melee using ranged as needed.

Derp.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
Haste double sneak attack requires one simple step.

You use your haste action on your turn to make an attack.

You then ready an attack for, say, your ally picking their nose. Or moving. Or making an attack. Or anything that happens off of your turn.

That readied action then gives you another sneak attack.

The 5e Rogue is resistent to most forms of 5e charop except a few.

1) Sneak attack crit-fishing.
2) Off-turn sneak attack.
3) Weapon attack cantrips.

All of them are different than other weapon users optimizations; even their crit-fishing is a bit different, because they are trying to get 1 crit in a turn, but not so late that they can't reliably hit if they don't get the crit.

aco175

Legend
The aim ability does make it easier for ranged sneak attack, even better since you now have advantage and then the bad guy does not need to be next to an ally.

It has not come up that much in my games, mostly because I use flanking and the rogues do that instead.

auburn2

Adventurer
Mistwell pointed this out before can cinfirm. Last week I saw a Tasha's steady aim Rogue build using a hand crossbow.

Drow Rogue with elven accuracy.

And a twinned haste. Enabling two sneak attacks a round.

I don't think he missed ever even with -2 to hit firing through allies.

And rolled two crits.

Without steady aim I still think a Rogue should melee using ranged as needed.

Derp.
First he can only get one SA per turn. Second steady aim is a bonus action and only works on the first attack after you use it. Third if the DM was letting you take steady aim and shoot at enemies at will every turn, with only a -2 to cover, he was not playing the enemies very smart.

That said a Rogue with sharpshooter, xbe and a hand crossbow can do a ton of damage, he ignores cover and once he lands his SA, switch to -5 and do +10 damage.

Zardnaar

Legend
First he can only get one SA per turn. Second steady aim is a bonus action and only works on the first attack after you use it. Third if the DM was letting you take steady aim and shoot at enemies at will every turn, with only a -2 to cover, he was not playing the enemies very smart.

That said a Rogue with sharpshooter, xbe and a hand crossbow can do a ton of damage, he ignores cover and once he lands his SA, switch to -5 and do +10 damage.

I said two per round.

Another poster explained what the rogue was doing.

They only got the advantage to hit on the hasted attack.

The AoO was a normal attack.

Zardnaar

Legend
Haste double sneak attack requires one simple step.

You use your haste action on your turn to make an attack.

You then ready an attack for, say, your ally picking their nose. Or moving. Or making an attack. Or anything that happens off of your turn.

That readied action then gives you another sneak attack.

The 5e Rogue is resistent to most forms of 5e charop except a few.

1) Sneak attack crit-fishing.
2) Off-turn sneak attack.
3) Weapon attack cantrips.

All of them are different than other weapon users optimizations; even their crit-fishing is a bit different, because they are trying to get 1 crit in a turn, but not so late that they can't reliably hit if they don't get the crit.

Thanks for explaining it's what the rogue was doing.

TheSword

Legend
The haste is pretty conditional and would benefit any class. Not sure it’s necessary for comparison purposes.

I do like steady aim though, it’s reliable. There is a lot of competition for bonus actions as rogue such as dash or disengage. I do think a lot of people functionally do this every round by hiding as a bonus. This effectively removes the need for that which can only be a good thing as a DM.

NotAYakk

Legend
The haste is pretty conditional and would benefit any class. Not sure it’s necessary for comparison purposes.
Haste on a rogue doubles the rogue's damage output. 100% more damage.

Haste on a level 11 paladin adds 33% to the paladin's damage output, ignoring burst.

Haste on a level 11 fighter adds 33% to the fighter's damage output, ignoring burst.

So it is necessary.

Remove ads