D&D 5E Ranger/druid... advice on how to divide levels an build my character?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's also the matter of which cl;ass to start in. I'd suggest ranger for the extra skill, weapon and armor proficiencies. After that the obvious goal is 2 levels of druid for wildshape and another two levels of Ranger for the subclass. As mentioned above, getting the extra attack at 5 is a big rock, although the right attack cantrips will soften the blow while you wait.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
There's also the matter of which cl;ass to start in. I'd suggest ranger for the extra skill, weapon and armor proficiencies.

Even starting Druid/Cleric, you still gain the Ranger's extra skill, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, and Light/Medium Armor and Shield proficiencies when you multiclass.

The only difference is whether you want STR/DEX save proficiency and 2 extra HP by starting Ranger, or WIS and INT (Druid) or CHA (Cleric) saves and you don't mind 2 fewer HP by starting Druid/Cleric.

STR/DEX saves are more common, and 2 extra HP is a nice little side benefit for frontliners at very low levels. But WIS, INT, and CHA saves, while less common, tend to have nastier effects (especially at higher levels). Abilities/spells calling for STR/DEX saves are more likely to just do straight HP damage or inflict less debilitating effects like being pushed or proned. While WIS/INT/CHA saves are for stuff like fear, paralysis, possession, petrification, confusion, insanity, etc., which are fight-stoppers, or even worse, will turn you against your party.

Last edited:

Remove ads