D&D 5E Ranger fight: PHB vs. UA

Which version?

Mercule

Adventurer
The spate of recent class-battles has me wondering how this will go. Very straightforward and limited poll. I don't care if you like some parts of one and some of the other or if you like the UA version except for the stupid Spirit Companion. Gun to your head, no creativity allowed, pick one to use at your table. If you think the Ranger is hopeless and should be abandoned, go make your own poll.

Creativity and commentary welcome, below.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think that how people feel about the 5th edition ranger (any version) comes down to their expectations of what the ranger is "supposed to be".

In most cases, from what I have seen, people have expectations that don't match to what the designers intended. I've even seen people that appear unable to tell which features of the class are intended to be important, and which are "ribbons" added primarily for flavor rather than function.

I feel like I must have had the same expectations as the designers because the PHB version looks just fine to me, Beastmaster and all.

mellored

Legend
I think the PHB ranger just needs to know more spells, or at least flexible spells.

That way, they can actually use the ranger specialties, like animal friendship, instead of only having space for hunter's quarry and ensnaring shot.

I do like the UA ranger though. Not because it's more "rangery", but because it's different, with unique (if OP) mechanics.

Mercule

Adventurer
I think that how people feel about the 5th edition ranger (any version) comes down to their expectations of what the ranger is "supposed to be".
Agreed. My expectations are different from yours. I want something that vaguely resembles special forces, I guess. He can't be the best at everything, because that would be out of balance; real-world commandos just tend to have gained quite a few class levels.

The Fighter is better at straight-up fighting. Put the Ranger in an arena with a Fighter of equal level and the Fighter probably wins. The Ranger tries to avoid a fair fight, though, and is better at making the terrain work for him, whether by stealth or other movement.

The Rogue hides better than the Ranger (probably even in natural surroundings). The Rogue packs a heck of a punch, if he can catch you with your guard down, whether that means from hiding or while you're worried about his brutish friend. The Ranger has more staying power, if he can get the Rogue in the open and/or disable/avoid the friend. The Ranger is also hard to sneak up on.

The Barbarian can better survive being run through with a sword. The Ranger is going to be better able to avoid and ease ongoing environmental effects and small scrapes (wasn't part of my core, but I really, really like this impact of the 2D6 hit dice). Otherwise, most of the comparison to the Fighter holds. I'm actually not a fan of the Barbarian class, but that's another topic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
PHB ranger. There is no secret for many here that i prefer the spellcasting, skilled warrior as the ranger for D&D.

To me, the easiest as most foolproof way to do the ranger is to ranger is to give it spells and have D&D's magic system do all the heavy lifting.

It works for wizards and clerics. Why not rangers?

Take every little ranger trick.... Every ranger gimmick... And make it into a spell. Then let the player snatch the ones they see as the ranger.

The hunter warrior will take the damage spells. The archer will take the arrow spells. The beastmaster will take the animal spells and beast buff spells. The tracker will take the tracking and perception spells. The stalker will take stealth spells. The ranger lord will take the healing and divination spells. The racist xenophope will take the racist xenophobic spells. The "nonmagical" ranger will take the "easiest to reflavor as mundane skills" spells. The "spirit" ranger will take the "spirit" spells.

Just need more spells. PHB ranger no doubt. The UA ranger aren't my cup of herbal tea.

akr71

Hero
PHB. It just needs a tweak or two. Give Favored Enemy some combat usefulness (not just tracking) and give the capstone ability at 20th something more in-line with other classes. As for the Beastmaster, allow the beast to continue to do whatever it was commanded to do, or act of its own free will.

I like the Ranger version in the phb, I've always hated that they could cast spells. The UA version is not perfect but feels like the ranger I always wanted in my game.

Side note, it's weird and cool to see Wotc posters posting here now. Names I was use to seeing over there. :)

PHB Ranger. Because the latest UA version is half-baked over-powered munchkin-bait. (Also, I like hyphenated put-downs.)

I would have liked to see the previous variant Ranger from UA on this poll. That one was interesting too.

PHB ranger because rangers are supposed to have real animal friends, not imaginary ones. And as DM I have a LOT of fun role playing their beasts. Sometimes* to the players' detriment**.

*often
** acute stomach churning horror

Mercule

Adventurer
PHB Ranger. Because the latest UA version is half-baked over-powered munchkin-bait. (Also, I like hyphenated put-downs.)

I would have liked to see the previous variant Ranger from UA on this poll. That one was interesting too.
I was very, very tempted to include it as a third option. Maybe I'll do a follow-up with the winner of this poll.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases