• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger is the new monk?

Sitara

Explorer
I can understand about Blade Cascade and from what I gather its OP, but what about the clasas as a whole? It seems to be similar to reactions elicted by the monk in 3E, before actual play.

IMO when we start playing w will see that while sweet, rangers aren't really as much the :):):):) as they seem. (I bet this will be because even though they will do tons damage, they will also themselves be dropping like flies)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Well, yeah. But that's deliberate. Rangers are Strikers; they are designed to be "glass cannons".

Cheers, -- N

The Sword 88

First Post
I am playing as a ranger right now in the KotS using my friends books from buy.com.

I am an Eladrin and dual wield longswords with the eladrin soldier feat and I do tons of dmg but 2-3 hits from a monster and I am in trouble.

I pumped STR to 18 so my DEX is a bit low at 15 and my CON is only 10. This leaves me with somewhat poor hp, a low ac, and few surges. I easily out damage the pre gen dragonborn paladin but he has a signifcantly higher AC and almost twice as many surges so he can soak up the hits way better than me.

The othe two characters are an elven twf ranger who is somewhat inferior to me and an elven bow ranger who is about as good as me.

The elven twf ranger took too much WIS and DEX and not enough STR and he is also missing the Eladrin soldier feat so he hits so much less often that I do.

bjorn2bwild

First Post
The Sword 88 said:
I am playing as a ranger right now in the KotS using my friends books from buy.com.

I am an Eladrin and dual wield longswords with the eladrin soldier feat and I do tons of dmg but 2-3 hits from a monster and I am in trouble.

I pumped STR to 18 so my DEX is a bit low at 15 and my CON is only 10. This leaves me with somewhat poor hp, a low ac, and few surges. I easily out damage the pre gen dragonborn paladin but he has a signifcantly higher AC and almost twice as many surges so he can soak up the hits way better than me.

The othe two characters are an elven twf ranger who is somewhat inferior to me and an elven bow ranger who is about as good as me.

The elven twf ranger took too much WIS and DEX and not enough STR and he is also missing the Eladrin soldier feat so he hits so much less often that I do.

Yikes! Sounds like your paladin is pulling double duty as defender and leader. I wonder how much more staying power your character would have if you had a full blown leader in the party.

Your character also seems to invalidate the concerns that some people voiced that con doesn't matter as much anymore since fort defense can be based on str.

Lore Raithbone

First Post
Yeah, if you want to be a TWF Ranger, be an Eladrin, if you want to be a Bow Ranger, be an Elf. Granted, you can be any combination of any races, its just that some are better suited to the roles than others. As far as "Ranger is the new Monk of 3E" goes, after making a few rangers and doing some playtests, they fit in well with a party. They, like the rogues, are there to do damage, not to soak it.

Sitara

Explorer
Actually that evlen ranger build may ending up owning at paragon+ levels, when powers that use WIS and DEX come into play, from alla accounts.

As for Eladrin, while the +1 with weapon training might be nice, I still think a human or eladrin scimitar TWF ranger will be teh pWnaGe!!

Old Gumphrey

First Post
Lore Raithbone said:
Yeah, if you want to be a TWF Ranger, be an Eladrin, if you want to be a Bow Ranger, be an Elf. Granted, you can be any combination of any races, its just that some are better suited to the roles than others.

Translation: If you want to be a ranger, have pointy ears. Is this really new information? :)

FadedC

First Post
Lore Raithbone said:
Yeah, if you want to be a TWF Ranger, be an Eladrin, if you want to be a Bow Ranger, be an Elf. Granted, you can be any combination of any races, its just that some are better suited to the roles than others. As far as "Ranger is the new Monk of 3E" goes, after making a few rangers and doing some playtests, they fit in well with a party. They, like the rogues, are there to do damage, not to soak it.

I don't know....a human twf ranger seems like he could be better then an eladrin. With +2 strength and the weapon focus feat your doing the same damage with long swords and you have +1 to hit. Dragonborn works for that too.

Remove ads