• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger is the new monk?

mjukglass

First Post
I like the Dwarf TWF ranger myself.

One thing I dont understand is why an eldarin would hit more often then any other race, you only get the highest proficiency bonus (+3 with long swords).

bjorn2bwild

First Post
mjukglass said:
I like the Dwarf TWF ranger myself.

One thing I dont understand is why an eldarin would hit more often then any other race, you only get the highest proficiency bonus (+3 with long swords).

I believe he combined a couple of thoughts into one there. Better hit (due to higher strength) and better damage (due to higher strength AND eladrin soldier feat).

Otterscrubber

First Post
Old Gumphrey said:
More than likely. Melee rangers can get a lot of HP but I'm willing to bet their AC won't be very high at all.

Ya, only light armor, no shield and if you're melee ranger then Dex will not be your top stat. Makes for some potentially very bad AC, but then agian I dont have a high level ranger so what do I know.

I am playing one and I am enjoying it immensely.

Darth Cyric

First Post
Otterscrubber said:
Scimitar dance is a great ability, but why in the world is it limited to only with scimitars?
Mechanical answer: To make up for the fact that the scimitar only has a +2 proficiency bonus, rather than +3 like the longsword, greatsword and falchion.

Flavorful answer: Something to do with the fetish people have for imitating a certain dark elf.

Last edited:

dystmesis

First Post
Bugbears are the best rangers.

And rangers are awesome. I made a team of 4 level 1 rangers that combine to do nearly 200 damage to a single enemy in one round every encounter.

Just with at will powers, they can do a maximum of 100~ damage each round, with around 63~ on average, if I did the math right...

I haven't even calculated what their damage potential is with their daily powers yet...

Sitara

Explorer
So what is the general consensus then? Have we born witness to the birth of RZILLA, and will it trample over all other builds?

And if this happened to the class that was wildely considered underpowered in 3e (recal the GIANT Rangers Suck thread over on wotc boards) what kind of a boost do you think will Bards get? I'm thinking stuff like "Talented" wherein the Bard can select a power of the same level from any other class per encounter.

ScruffyMcToughy

First Post
It looks overpowered to me. The 'heavy ranger' build gives you Toughness for free. Ditch DEX and go for STR, as well as high WIS for special abilities. A human ranger can get to wear plate mail by level 2, and fight with two weapons, and get +1d6 damage/round to anything it decides to make its hunting b!tch.

Diirk

First Post
Strikers are kinda funny; melee rangers and warlocks will generally have poorish AC, while rogues and bow rangers will have defender levels of AC if they max their dex like they should. Wizards will get pretty top notch AC too. +hit/ac/damage all keyed to one stat for some classes but not others is pretty silly.

Remove ads