Ranger Powers

ukingsken

First Post
I couldn't seem to find a thread pertaining to this. And maybe its because its as simple as I think. I had a discussion with one of my players last game as to whether or not a "thrown" weapon (dagger for example) can be used for a ranger power that specifies "Ranged" weapon. While the distinction seems pretty clear to me that the rules intend you to not use thrown weapons for these powers I also could not think of a mechanical reason that it would be so.

Any opinions? Is my rules interpretation correct? And even if it is do you think that allowing it based on good character flavour would be unbalancing in any kind of mechanical way?

Thanks for the imput.

Kordeth

First Post
PHB p. 215 said:
A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and can be used with ranged attack powers that have the weapon keyword.

Thrown weapons are ranged weapons, and you can use them with ranger powers that require ranged weapons.

-Avalon-

First Post
I know Several others & I have been trying to come up with a concept ranger of Barbarian Hurler type, that specializes in spears/javelins instead of a bow... so at least one group believes that the ranger ranged powers are meant to be used with thrown as well as fired weapons...

Kordeth

First Post
I know Several others & I have been trying to come up with a concept ranger of Barbarian Hurler type, that specializes in spears/javelins instead of a bow... so at least one group believes that the ranger ranged powers are meant to be used with thrown as well as fired weapons...

They are meant to, that's why the rule is in the book. :)

The one drawback to this approach is that the heavy thrown property of thrown weapons doesn't apply to powers, so your barbarian is still stuck using Dex to attack over Strength which might be less thematic--but other than that, thrown-weapon rangers work perfectly fine.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I think the main problem with thrown items is, how do you draw them? Unless you have quickdraw, can you draw an extra dagger? My DM has ruled no.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think the main problem with thrown items is, how do you draw them? Unless you have quickdraw, can you draw an extra dagger? My DM has ruled no.

It depends whether you feel that a/ the rule about the load time for projectile weapons being incorporated into the action of a power that has multiple targets can be generalised to apply to weapons that don't have a load time, like thrown weapons, or b/ that the quote "some powers let you hurl several [light weapons] at once or in rapid succession" is meant to imply that the drawing of the weapons is incorporated into the action of those powers (which doesn't help with heavy thrown weapons, since the sentence that quotes comes from is drawing a distinction between light thrown and heavy thrown weapons).

I agree with your DM that the rules don't actually support the idea that you can draw thrown weapons for free without Quick Draw; accordingly, my character who throws stuff has the feat.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
or you can just hold two thrown weapons.

Works for one or two targets, but not for more.

And if you aren't throwing magical weapons, then next round when you want to use a two-target ranged power again, you need to spend two minor actions drawing weapons, which means you can't move and attack. The bowman can, and the crossbowman can.

-Hyp.

Remove ads