Ranger, Rogue or Scout?

What do you think are the relative advantages and disadvantages of each? The game will be starting at level 1 and I don't know what other people will be playing yet. I'm hoping to use Whisper Gnome for race.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Ranger is the wilderness warrior. Not much in the way of trapfinding, but the best tracker and fighter of the three.

Rogue is sneaky and the best at finding traps and related areas. More consistent in damage than the scout, but exposes himself to more harm.

Scout is not bad at finding traps, but can't open locks (IIRC). Very good at dealing moderate damage and keeping out of harm's way.

Cheers!

shilsen

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Scout is not bad at finding traps, but can't open locks (IIRC). Very good at dealing moderate damage and keeping out of harm's way.

IIRC, the errata to Complete Adventurer added Disable Device to the Scout skill list.

Kurotowa

Legend
Ogre Mage said:
What do you think are the relative advantages and disadvantages of each? The game will be starting at level 1 and I don't know what other people will be playing yet. I'm hoping to use Whisper Gnome for race.

The ranger is a warrior of nature, the scout is a wilderness warrior, and the rogue is an urban savant. The ranger is the best straight up fighter and best with animals, the scout is strong with the right tactics and is great in rough outdoors terrain, the rogue takes more work to excell at combat but makes a great thief or con artist or detective.

If you've already decided on a whisper gnome, rogue or scout would seem to better use the racial type and make up for the small size.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Whisper gnomes make very, very good rogues. I mean, seriously good. They out-rogue halflings by a mile.

They also wouldn't make terribly bad scouts, I think.

Brad

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
shilsen said:
IIRC, the errata to Complete Adventurer added Disable Device to the Scout skill list.

It did. And what, pray tell, does Disable Device have to do with Open Lock?

Cheers!

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Wilderness Rogue is not a bad choice, either (providing the DM allows these kinds of Unearthed Arcana options). Also depends on the style of campaign, and what you as a player prefer.

There's one in one of my campaigns at the moment, and she's proved to be pretty tough, and very useful indeed. Just my 2c.

note -- that's a very outdoorsy campaign, for the most part; please read it in that context.

Aus_Snow said:
The Wilderness Rogue is not a bad choice, either (providing the DM allows these kinds of Unearthed Arcana options). Also depends on the style of campaign, and what you as a player prefer.

There's one in one of my campaigns at the moment, and she's proved to be pretty tough, and very useful indeed. Just my 2c.

note -- that's a very outdoorsy campaign, for the most part; please read it in that context.
Thank you for posting this. I could take the Track Feat at first level and be the party wilderness, locks and traps expert all at once! It's great to be able to fulfill 2 roles with one character. This looks like a great option for a whisper gnome. Now, if I can just get my DM to allow it ...

shilsen

Adventurer
MerricB said:
It did. And what, pray tell, does Disable Device have to do with Open Lock?

Cheers!
Aaargh! That'll teach me to read too fast. Excuse me while I go and be stupid in the corner :eek:

Remove ads