D&D 5E [ranger subclass] Court Enforcer, too OP?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Initially this seems like it might be too OP of a subclass (or maybe I'm just used to the ranger being underpowered in general), but I've never been great at recognizing optimized build and seeing flaws. Does this seem broken to you?

Ignore the paragraph at the top left, it's a carry over from the previous page.

28.jpg

And for reference, the two spells listed for Shadow Walk are:

Shadow Walk
2nd Level Transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: self
Components: V,S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Druid, Wizard, Sorcerer, Ranger

When cast, this spell transforms the character and all equipment they are wearing into a shadow form, one quarter their normal size.
When a creature shadow walks, they transform themselves into an actual shadow that is cast upon a wall or other surface where existing shadows exist, only roughly one quarter of their physical size. The creature can move about along this two-dimensional plane, using existing shadows as if they were solid material.
While in this shadow form, they are completely immune to all damage and magic for the duration. However, there are some significant limitations. First and foremost is that the creature is restricted to the area where the shadows exist. They cannot leap from one surface to another unless the shadows are close enough to where their normal jump distance could cover it.
Secondly, as soon as the shadows cease to exist due to change in light source or the area being completely draped in darkness, the fairy is forced to resume their physical form in a space within 5ft of where their shadow existed.
And finally, the creature cannot interact with any physical object or cast spells while in shadow form. This ability typically lasts for as long as the fey creature maintains concentration.

Shadow Walk, Greater
4th Level Transmutation

This ability replicates the shadow walk ability, and additionally allows the creature to interact with the shadows of physical objects as if they were tangible, which in turn causes the actual object to react as if it were directly being manipulated.
Thus, a creature who has taken a shadow form can grab the shadow of a lantern and knock it over, causing the actual lamp to be knocked over. This also allows the creature to attack another creature while in shadow, within certain limitations.
The first is that no magic can be invoked nor spell to be cast while in shadow form. Secondly, only bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage may be applied to the physical object. And thirdly, because the size of the creature has been reduced to roughly one quarter of their normal size, the damage die used will be reduced by one category.
That is, if the normal damage die is a d8, then it becomes a d6 while in shadow form. If it is a d4, then damage becomes 1d2.

Note that basic laws of physics still apply, albeit translated into the shadows. For example, a fairy who is only one foot in height in shadow form wouldn’t have the strength to overturn a heavy table if they weren’t able to in material form.

the Jester

Legend
I feel like total immunity to everything for a 2nd level spell is completely overpowered, no matter the limitations.

Other than that, it's hard to judge since the Fey Manifestation trait isn't fully described. I'm guessing that this is much better in a game with lots of Feywild action going on.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
This is probably not too helpful to your actual questions, but I think it's still worth considering, even if not worth replying to. Sorry to be that person who questions the idea of even using this build.

Questions:
Why is this a Ranger and not a Rogue subclass, if the main roles of the character are subterfuge, assassination, delivering secret messages, intimidation, and protection?

I could see it easily being a 1/3 caster Rogue subclass if you really wanted the magic, or else just using the Assassin Archetype and giving the character a Magic Initiate feat or something to be able to do some fey magic.

Alternatively, what's wrong with the Fey Wanderer subclass of Ranger if you want a Fey Ranger? Spell choice and background might suffice to fill out the rest of the faction story.

I think a lot of issues in design balance arises when trying to fit square pegs into round holes. If you have to add a lot to the Ranger to force the subclass to fit, maybe Ranger isn't the right place for the character concept?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Other than the shadow walk stuff, I think it's probably underpowered, actually. For instance, I don't think you'll get to use the Backlash feature very often.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think its a little all over the place, sometimes being very close to the feywarden ranger and other time its feature are less than ribbons.

Mind if I give it a try?

3: Circle Knowledge
You know how to recognize fey circle and make the most of them. You always know the general direction of a fey circle when within 300 ft of one. Furthermore, your Favored Terrain feature applies to fey circles, no matter the terrain they are situated in.

At level 9, you can use your Primeval Awareness feature to gaze beyond the portal within 1 mile of its exit.

3: Court Edict
You can brand an enemy with a courtly condemnation. As a free action, choose one creature within 60 ft of you that you can see; this creature becomes your Fey Mark for 1 minute. The first time you hit you fey mark on your turn, it takes 1d4 extra psychic damage. The target sheds dim light in a 5-foot radius and can't become invisible until the end of your next turn.

Once you can use this features a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus before you must complete a long rest, regaining all uses.

Court Magic
** ( I think the 2 new spells dont had much and are more quirky versions of PHB's spells, so I chose to put other spells in the list here)
3 Disguise Self
5 Detect Thoughts
9 Gaseous Form
13 Dimension Door
17 Mislead

7: Courtly Huntmaster
You are a regal emissary of the justice of the Faes. You have advantage on any Charisma and Wisdom (Insight) roll made against one of your Favored Enemy.

11: Distorted Pursuit
Those who try to escape the justice of the Fey lieges are hounded by you at every step. A creature marked by your Court Edict treat every terrain as difficult terrain if moving away from you. Also, if the target hits or cause damage to a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to teleport the creature to a space of your choice within 5 feet of you.

15: Everywhere and Nowhere
You use your knowledge of fey passages to infiltrate and jaunt to deadly assaults. As a bonus action, you teleport up to 20 feet to an unoccupied space you can see and then move up to half your speed, Until the end of your turn, you have advantage on any attack rolls. At the end of your turn, you can teleport back to the spot you occupied before teleporting, unless it is now occupied or on a different plane of existence.

Once you can use this features a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and you regain all uses when you complete a long rest.

(Should you want to go more with a ''wild hunt'' theme, you could replace the 2nd level spell with the Find Steed spell and change the damage of the edict to Cold or Necrotic. )

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think its a little all over the place, sometimes being very close to the feywarden ranger and other time its feature are less than ribbons.

Mind if I give it a try?

3: Circle Knowledge
You know how to recognize fey circle and make the most of them. You always know the general direction of a fey circle when within 300 ft of one. Furthermore, your Favored Terrain feature applies to fey circles, no matter the terrain they are situated in.

At level 9, you can use your Primeval Awareness feature to gaze beyond the portal within 1 mile of its exit.

3: Court Edict
You can brand an enemy with a courtly condemnation. As a free action, choose one creature within 60 ft of you that you can see; this creature becomes your Fey Mark for 1 minute. The first time you hit you fey mark on your turn, it takes 1d4 extra psychic damage. The target sheds dim light in a 5-foot radius and can't become invisible until the end of your next turn.

Once you can use this features a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus before you must complete a long rest, regaining all uses.

Court Magic
** ( I think the 2 new spells dont had much and are more quirky versions of PHB's spells, so I chose to put other spells in the list here)
3 Disguise Self
5 Detect Thoughts
9 Gaseous Form
13 Dimension Door
17 Mislead

7: Courtly Huntmaster
You are a regal emissary of the justice of the Faes. You have advantage on any Charisma and Wisdom (Insight) roll made against one of your Favored Enemy.

11: Distorted Pursuit
Those who try to escape the justice of the Fey lieges are hounded by you at every step. A creature marked by your Court Edict treat every terrain as difficult terrain if moving away from you. Also, if the target hits or cause damage to a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to teleport the creature to a space of your choice within 5 feet of you.

15: Everywhere and Nowhere
You use your knowledge of fey passages to infiltrate and jaunt to deadly assaults. As a bonus action, you teleport up to 20 feet to an unoccupied space you can see and then move up to half your speed, Until the end of your turn, you have advantage on any attack rolls. At the end of your turn, you can teleport back to the spot you occupied before teleporting, unless it is now occupied or on a different plane of existence.

Once you can use this features a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and you regain all uses when you complete a long rest.

(Should you want to go more with a ''wild hunt'' theme, you could replace the 2nd level spell with the Find Steed spell and change the damage of the edict to Cold or Necrotic. )
I love some of the flavor here. Outstanding. See, this is why I asked lol.

ECMO3

Hero
Initially this seems like it might be too OP of a subclass (or maybe I'm just used to the ranger being underpowered in general), but I've never been great at recognizing optimized build and seeing flaws. Does this seem broken to you?

Ignore the paragraph at the top left, it's a carry over from the previous page.

View attachment 148441

And for reference, the two spells listed for Shadow Walk are:

Shadow Walk
2nd Level Transmutation

When cast, this spell transforms the character and all equipment they are wearing into a shadow form, one quarter their normal size.
When a creature shadow walks, they transform themselves into an actual shadow that is cast upon a wall or other surface where existing shadows exist, only roughly one quarter of their physical size. The creature can move about along this two-dimensional plane, using existing shadows as if they were solid material.
While in this shadow form, they are completely immune to all damage and magic for the duration. However, there are some significant limitations. First and foremost is that the creature is restricted to the area where the shadows exist. They cannot leap from one surface to another unless the shadows are close enough to where their normal jump distance could cover it.
Secondly, as soon as the shadows cease to exist due to change in light source or the area being completely draped in darkness, the fairy is forced to resume their physical form in a space within 5ft of where their shadow existed.
And finally, the creature cannot interact with any physical object or cast spells while in shadow form. This ability typically lasts for as long as the fey creature maintains concentration.

Shadow Walk, Greater
4th Level Transmutation

This ability replicates the shadow walk ability, and additionally allows the creature to interact with the shadows of physical objects as if they were tangible, which in turn causes the actual object to react as if it were directly being manipulated.
Thus, a creature who has taken a shadow form can grab the shadow of a lantern and knock it over, causing the actual lamp to be knocked over. This also allows the creature to attack another creature while in shadow, within certain limitations.
The first is that no magic can be invoked nor spell to be cast while in shadow form. Secondly, only bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage may be applied to the physical object. And thirdly, because the size of the creature has been reduced to roughly one quarter of their normal size, the damage die used will be reduced by one category.
That is, if the normal damage die is a d8, then it becomes a d6 while in shadow form. If it is a d4, then damage becomes 1d2.

Note that basic laws of physics still apply, albeit translated into the shadows. For example, a fairy who is only one foot in height in shadow form wouldn’t have the strength to overturn a heavy table if they weren’t able to in material form.
Shadow Walk is OP. Instead of immunity I would give resistance to non-magic bludgeoning, piercing and slashing, all other damage is unaffected. I would also make the spell a bonus action to cast give a advantage to stealth checks and allow hiding while partially obscured. This would be very useful, especially against creatures that can see invisible. In dim light you could cast it as a bonus and then "hide in the shadow" as an action. You would still be revealed when you attacked, so it would be much like invisibility in that regard, but you could try to hide again as another action on a later turn. Finally I would make it necromancy so it is useful against those who see through illusions.

If you keep the damage immunity I would make it an 8th level spell (which would mean Rangers can't get it). I would also give it to warlocks, they make more sense than Druids.

If you remove the damage immunity to shadow walk, then I think greater shadow walk becomes fine. If not that should be a 9th level spell IMO.

3rd level is really busy, with a damage ability, a ribbon, extra spells and whatever Fey Manistation is. I would get rid of the last. Also I think Charm Person or Cause Fear makes more sense than Bane as the first level spell.

Finally I think thematically the class makes more sense as a Paladin or a Warlock than as a Ranger. I think Fey Wanderer makes more sense as a Fey court Ranger.

Remove ads