Rank the live action BATMAN films

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. The Dark Knight (IMO not just the best Bats films, but the best superhero film ever made)
2. Batman 89 (real nostalgia hit this one)
3. The Dark Knight Rises (never understood the complaining about this)
4. The Batman (may change on rewatches)
5. Batman Returns (too more obviously a studio lot than 89)
6. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (better than people say it is)
6. Batman Begins (it's fine; I like it less than most I think; origin story and it was Gordon who saved the day not Bats)
7. Batman 66
8. Batman Forever (couple of good songs slightly saves it)
9. Batman & Robin (less said about this the better)

No cartoons allowed, however much you like them. Must be a live-action Batman movie.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman 89
3. Everything else.

I'll likely stop channel surfing and watch these two. TDK for just being awesome, and Bat89 for the nostalgia and Prince soundtrack. Everything else is ok to really bad (I'm looking at you Bruckheimer era).

MarkB

Legend
Similar to @payn - The Nolan trilogy holds up fine, and Batman 1989 really was genre-redefining.

Batman Returns is worth it for Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman, but there's not a lot else to like there. The subsequent ones were variously awful.

I remember enjoying the 60s version as s kid, but I don't feel any real emotional connection to it.

Honestly at this point I'm so sick of gloomy, dour Batmans that are all fundamentally retellings of oh-so-serious Frank Miller Batman that, all considerations of objective quality aside, Batman '66 is the only one I'd want to watch again anytime soon. Just give me grey tights, a blue cowl, no time spent on an origin story, and a movie that takes things as seriously as as a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight gimmicky villains should be taken.

Last edited:

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
2. The Batman
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman (1966)
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Batman (1989)
8. Batman Returns
9. Batman Forever
10. Batman & Robin

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Batman Returns

Batman

Batman 66

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight

Conroy Batman Cameo on the CW Arrowverse

Edit: Forgot the Batman cameos in Suicide Squad. Too bad Aflac never got a movie

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

Never saw Dark Knight Rises, haven’t seen The Batman yet

Any other omissions are intentional.

1. Batman (89)
2. Batman: The Movie (66)
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman Vs Superman
9. Batman and Robin

The Batman isn't on here because I haven't seen it yet. And while the previews look good, I have only a passing interest in it. Another Batman reboot where he's dark and edgy? Okay, sure.

A number of people have said that BvS is better that many (like me) give it credit for. On the one hand, I feel like I should give it another shot to see if it's better than my first impression. On the other hand, my motivation to re-watch it is low, especially noting the 3 hour runtime of the Ultimate Edition.

Batman 66 is a completely different genre of film, so it feels weird to place it on the list. But I feel it's historically important, and very fun.

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
2.The Dark Knight
3. The Batman
4. Batman 89
5.The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman begins
7.Batman Returns
8. Batman Forever
9. BAtman and Robin
10. Batman 66 (if i could have listed some of the animated movies, this one wouldn't be here)

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition) - this one pains me, because one can see the potential that wasn't realised with this movie. The interaction between the big 3 was perfect though.
4. Batman (89) - This I admit is bias. It's more my appreciation for Mr Keaton than anything else.
4. Dark Knight Rises - rushed, I mean unarmed cops who managed to get themselves cleaned up and shaved, charging dudes with semi-automatics and automatics, no blood splatter, nothing. And that is the easiest complaint on the movie and there were many others. The (4) is purposeful.
6. Everything else

Have not seen the latest Batman.

Last edited:

Remove ads