Rank the live action BATMAN films

difficult to rank them, as they're such different movies!

The Nolan trilogy was my favourite, until "The Batman" came out. This movie is just 100% what I wanted from a Batman movie, I hope it also becomes a trilogy.

Ryujin

Legend
Honestly at this point I'm so sick of gloomy, dour Batmans that are all fundamentally retellings of oh-so-serious Frank Miller Batman that, all considerations of objective quality aside, Batman '66 is the only one I'd want to watch again anytime soon. Just give me grey tights, a blue cowl, no time spent on an origin story, and a movie that takes things as seriously as as a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight gimmicky villains should be taken.
"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!" Classic.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Honestly at this point I'm so sick of gloomy, dour Batmans that are all fundamentally retellings of oh-so-serious Frank Miller Batman that, all considerations of objective quality aside, Batman '66 is the only one I'd want to watch again anytime soon. Just give me grey tights, a blue cowl, no time spent on an origin story, and a movie that takes things as seriously as as a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight gimmicky villains should be taken.
For me, I'm glad to have a different genre of movie than the 40 quadrillion Marvel films. Those films are fine, but not every film has to be like them. There's plenty of room for other genres of movie too. My taste in movies is fairly wide -- I enjoy gangster movies, comedies, hard-sci fi, space opera, quippy superheroes, noir detective stories, some horror, thrillers, all sorts.

This is a noir detective story. It happens to also be a Batman film. It's Seven crossed with Bladerunner crossed with Taxi Driver, complete with voiceovers by the protagonist. Sure, that's not for everybody, but it's 100% valid, and it makes for a very good movie.

If I want quips and bright colours, Marvel has made 27 superhero films, and there are 12 more in development; it's by far the biggest franchise on the planet. I'm glad that this can exist, too.

Ryujin

Legend
For me, I'm glad to have a different genre of movie than the 40 quadrillion Marvel films. Those films are fine, but not every film has to be like them. There's plenty of room for other genres of movie too. My taste in movies is fairly wide -- I enjoy gangster movies, comedies, hard-sci fi, space opera, quippy superheroes, noir detective stories, some horror, thrillers, all sorts.

This is a noir detective story. It happens to also be a Batman film. It's Seven crossed with Bladerunner crossed with Taxi Driver, complete with voiceovers by the protagonist. Sure, that's not for everybody, but it's 100% valid, and it makes for a very good movie.

If I want quips and bright colours, I have a thousand awesome Marvel movies to watch. I'm glad that this can exist, too.
Even with my doubts regarding Pattinson I'll need to see this, based on your description. Batman's origins are as "The World's Greatest Detective." He slowly became all about gadgets and punching, over the years. It would be nice to get back to the early comics Batman. Maybe even a little of the radio and movie serials Batman.

nyvinter

Adventurer
This might have some controversial rankings.

1. Batman Returns
2. Batman 89
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman 66
5. Batman Forever
6. The Dark Knight
7. Batman & Robin
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

NOT SEEN. The Batman

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Even with my doubts regarding Pattinson I'll need to see this, based on your description. Batman's origins are as "The World's Greatest Detective." He slowly became all about gadgets and punching, over the years. It would be nice to get back to the early comics Batman. Maybe even a little of the radio and movie serials Batman.
There's some punching, of course. No gadgets really (except one notable exception) -- it's all stuff he cobbled together himself. Even the Batmobile is a souped up regular car, not a sci-fi thing.

Mezuka

Hero
I'm content with the Nolan trilogy, in order. I no longer watch the others. It's not a film but I really like the old retired Batman in Titans.

I have yet to see the new one. I no longer pay the full rental price ($25 CAD) for superheroes movies. I'll wait until it comes out on 'pay per view' on cable at $7 CAD.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Whoa am I in a serious minority on this :D

1: Batman & Robin, Forever
2: Burton/Keaton duology
3: DCEU movies
4: anything I forgot
10: Dark Knight Trilogy

Some clarifications
Batman & Robin and Forever are the only ones that don’t try to take themselves seriously and openly embrace the fact that they are comic book films.

Keaton is seriously awesome actor and the only one that makes a believable Bruce/Batman combination.

Surprisingly Affleck did an awesome ”old man bruce”

The less said about the lackluster acting in the dark knight films, the better…

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases