D&D 5E Rank the Official 5e Adventures

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The group has point blank told the DM we want to stop, she isn't listening. Can't really leave the game as my sister-in-law is running it at my house. It's gotten to the point we've been trying to find ways to get ourselves killed of late so we can end at a TPK. We almost succeeded last session this Sunday, but the DM is too kind to let anyone die, so we're going to have to force the issue.
I'm sorry @Stormonu for the laugh emoji; and I'm sure this is causing you and your group some emotional pain. But the idea of the entire group of players conspiring to get their PCs killed and the GM being too kind strikes me as very funny for some reason...

I wonder though - since you have all said you want to stop, can't you just... Not play that campaign? If she shows up and starts setting up, just say "Nope, we are not going to play that anymore - remember when we all said we didn't want to play? We are going to play this other thing" Maybe even take some sessions off and play board games or something...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
From what I have run and played:

1. Lost Mines - good first adventure, have run twice, both times with new to D&D players. Both times to great success
  2. Tomb of A - played, enjoyed the heck out of it. As someone upthread said - Tomb of 9 Gods is one of the greatest dungeons. Notwithstanding I had 2 characters die, still a great adventure.
  3. Out of Abyss - the kickoff, the frame, the Underdark setting, Menzoborranzen, Blingdenstone - all great
  4. Icewind Dale - solid stuff. Player decisions impact the storyline. Final setting of the city was super cool. Ended abruptly I thought.
  5. Dragon Queen - am only 3rd level in this campaign, which my DM has apparently heavily modified. I'm liking what he's done with it so far.
  6. Witchlight (currently playing, and I"ve missed at least 50% of sessions). Pretty good. We're still only 3rd level, so a long way to go.
  7. Yawning Portal - have played Hidden Shrine, just wrapped up White Plume Mtn (ran it once in AD&D waaay back in the day). Solid games. Would like to run some of the others
  8. Candlekeep - we play a Candlekeep game in between other games. They are fun enough as one shots, although uneven. I think I like longer campaigns better for D&D
  9. Saltmarsh - only ran one adventure, it was good and worked for what I needed
  10. Mad Mage - we made it to 13th level! some parts were pretty cool. And we've applied our own over-arching motivation which is to set up a bunch of tavern franchises down there (it's not going as well as we hoped). But that's what it's required for us to stay interested. There are some cool set pieces and dungeon level themes for sure, which is why this is higher than some others.
  11. Dragon Heist - only played 1/3 of the sessions. It was ok, didn't wow me.
  12. Storm King's Thunder - having a huge section of the adventure be a sandbox between 4-7th level (the best levels!) feels like a waste. Woudl have been good if they had actually had set dungeons/throughline story for those levels that DMs could have ignored; or fleshed out more of the locations so there could be 3-4 levels worth of side quests. Otherwise, running it - it felt very undirected. Which apparently was on purpose.
Adventures I haven't run or played:
  • Elemental Evil Princes of the Apocalypse 01-15 April 7, 2015
  • Curse of Strahd Curse of Strahd 01-10 March 15, 2016
  • Stranger Things Starter Set Hunt for the Thessalhydra 03-04 May 1, 2019
  • Essentials Kit Dragon of Icespire Peak 01-06 June 24, 2019[4]
  • Baldur's Gate Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus 01-13 September 17, 2019[5]
  • Dungeons & Dragons vs. Rick and Morty The Lost Dungeon of Rickedness: Big Rick Energy 01-03 November 19, 2019
  • Strixhaven Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos 01-10 December 7, 2021
  • Critical Role Critical Role: Call of the Netherdeep 03-12 March 15, 2022
  • Journeys through the Radiant Citadel Journeys through the Radiant Citadel 01-14 July 19, 2022
  • Spelljammer: Adventures in Space Light of Xaryxis 05-08 August 16, 2022

I realize that I have a very different experience than others with Strahd. I've talked about that before. Don't take that as a general ranking - I've seen too many people talk about having a grand time with it. I just wonder how my experience was so different than theirs.
They experience of myself and others in my group matches up with yours.

I think, with it being so open, and with the random card factor, it's very much a matter of luck whether this adventure is a very positive or very negative experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases