• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rank the Star Wars Movies (merged)

Psion

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Also had 1/3rd of the movie that was incidental to the plot, interminable 'give into your feelings' speeches, a completely unconvicing conversion, and 'oh, wow, *another* Death Star.' And Ewoks :D

You're the only person I've ever met that puts Jedi higher than 3rd.

I've met more people that like Britney Spears than RPGs. Yerpointwas? ;)

Seriously, I don't begrudge anyone their preferences. Obviously, I don't agree with your assertions of how "incidental" part of the movie is to the plot (indeed, shifting plot goals has been shown to be a major factor in the success of movies AND in this and the other thread, some have said they prefer the first half, which I imagine was the only part of the movie you could make a case is "incidental" to the plot...), how lame the speeches or conversations are, etc.

Last edited:

Psion said:
Seriously, I don't begrudge anyone their preferences.

Wasn't criticizing your preference, I was just surprised after all these years to see someone rank them as you did. Everyone I've ever talked too argues over Star Wars or Empire.

Kinda like hearing someone say they preferred The Godfather III or Weekend at Bernie's 2. Cause, you know, when it comes to the 'lets cart around a corpse and pretend he's still alive' genre, *nothing* can touch Weekend at Bernies I. :p

Welverin

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
You're the only person I've ever met that puts Jedi higher than 3rd.

Well mark me down as number two, because I've long had ESB behind ANH and RotJ.

All I can say for sure for my over all rankings is that tPM is a distant six and ESB is no higher than three.

1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi (perhaps a better movie than Clones, but the introduction of Ewoks is my least favorite second of the six movies -- it's Lucas' fall to the Dumb Side)
6. Phantom Menace

Barendd Nobeard said:
So, we start filling with:

6. Clone Wars tv show (now on DVD)
7. The Great Luke Ski
8. That cute bit in E.T. where Elliott plays with his Star Wars figs in front of E.T.
95. Ewok movie 1
96. Ewok movie 2
97. Ray Enright's "One Minute Star Wars" in his 2nd place in the nation After Dinner Speech (at AFA NIET, before he was disqualified and stripped of his awards)
98. Star Wars Holiday Special

Any other filler I've forgotten?

#7 should be "TROOPS", the Stormtrooper-COPS takeoff on the internet.

I need to see Sith again to be sure, but I'd probably go:

1 ESB
2 ANH
3 RotJ
4 RotS
5 AotC
6 TPM

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Without reading other replies:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace

-RedShirt

drothgery

First Post
(just got back from RotS)
I think I'm going with nearly the consensus ordering here, but..
1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2. Episode IV: A New Hope
3 (tie). Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
3 (tie). Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
5. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
6. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

CrusaderX

First Post
My rankings, with grades:

1. The Empire Strikes Back (A+)
2. A New Hope (A)
3. Return of the Jedi (A-)
4. Revenge of the Sith (A-)
5. Attack of the Clones (C)
6. The Phantom Menace (C-)

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

A few observations...

Jedi would be higher than A New Hope were it not for the ewoks. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the ewoks the way it seems a lot of people do. But I do think they could've been replaced with something a lot cooler.

Sith would be tied with Jedi--maybe even a bit higher--were it not for three or four specific scenes that I thought were so mind-numbingly bad, they actually dragged down the quality of the entire movie.

Digital M@

Explorer
D+1 said:
  1. Star Wars
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return of the Jedi
  4. Revenge of the Sith (predicted position... not seen it yet)
  5. Attack of the Clones
  6. Phantom Menace

Bingo, we have a winner. The only change I would make is to remove Phantom Menace from the list entirely, it was too aweful to consider. I mean the movie was watchable, but when you think of the how much more effective the whole trilogy could have been if we did not focus an entire movie (33% of the story) on a ten year old boy, it becomes really rancid and a poor choice for story telling.

Remove ads