• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Rant] Map-of-the-Week (WotC)

Zamdrist

First Post
They suck, no really I think they suck. At least as far as maps go they suck, as far as art they are interesting, sometimes inspiring but nothing really special. Most are not useable as a "map" either. Originally they were true maps but obviously they have someone else doing them...

There, my rant is done!

Zamdrist

Last edited:

Darklance

First Post
I have to agree....

My thoughts exactly. That one with the petrified worm was good along with a few others but they are nothing special and not really....mapish.

Zamdrist

First Post
Re: I have to agree....

Darklance said:
My thoughts exactly. That one with the petrified worm was good along with a few others but they are nothing special and not really....mapish.

I agree, the petrified worm map was good, very clever actually, most recently it's obvious they have an artist doing these maps and not a cartographer.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I have to agree. These new maps are completely useless as far as gaming goes. Sure, they are pretty, but we DM's need functionality. I was just looking at Hackmaster's reworking of B1: Into the Unknown and marvelling at the 1e maps for the Caves of Quesqueton. Now those are the kind of maps we need, not pretty pictures. They need to bring back Diesel the old 1e cartographer and print the maps with blue ink like in the good old days. I still use maps from then and they are just as mysterious and inspiring as they were twenty years ago!

Ace

Adventurer
I like the recent maps of the week myself. For one thing they are adaptable to more than just "d20" squares and are attractive to boot.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Have you thought about asking for your money back? :D

A second (and more usefyl) option might be politely mentioning this in the d20 publishers forum, where someone from WotC is more likely to see it!

Holy Bovine

First Post
As always complaints get made about the strangest of things.

You don't like the free maps they post on the WotC site?

Demand a refund!! :rolleyes:

Psion

Adventurer
I like the older ones... check out the archives.

But the newer ones aren't maps. They're pretty graphics. I hope that they stop this trend.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads