• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rapid Spell Feat (Complete Divine)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Well, it's a bad idea to allow a blastificer in general unless you account for it by throwing more bodies into the mix and making the ultimate goals not combat-oriented. Right?
I'm not sure what you mean by "blastificer," but I think the artificer is a broken class, yes. I don't have any issues with scorching ray wands or anything with my player ... the problems are more subtle and more wide-ranging, best illustrated by a now common joke at our table: "Is there anything Slate [the artificer] can't do?"

The problem with the artificer -- deliberate munchkinizing aside -- is similar to that with polymorph ... every expansion makes it more powerful. With polymorph, the expansion problem was "creatures." With artificers, the expansion problem is "spells." As a DM, I made a mistake early in not limiting, somehow, what spells an artificer can emulate, and the player has a very good time finding every spell that's perfect for every possible situation. The most consistently useful ones -- benign transposition, resist energy, etc. -- he builds into items. The ones that are more tailored for less common situations he just burns an action point for.

Anyway, off-topic. Just ranting a little. I'll be relieved when I wrap this campaign ... I've learned a lot about how to limit certain issues in the game, and I'm looking forward to playing a more balanced campaign.

Herzog

Adventurer
I've been playing an Artificer for a while now, and while I have to agree with you that being able to emulate every spell in the available books, I've not really been in the habit of doing that (If only because the time at the table doesn't allow me enough time to find the spell in question)
Also, as mentioned, the number of action points available is limited.

As for creating items: my artificer has always been pressed for time and/or money to be able to craft the things he'd like.
This is partly the result of him losing his homonculus the session after it was created, partly because of one of the characters hoarding a large piece of the treasure from the first adventure, leaving us all a bit short on cash.

Of course, should the Artificer be the one creating only items for him/her self, the party balance will be gone within a few sessions. I've been making stuff for other characters too....

Maldor

First Post
i'm going to have to say that the intent of the feat was to make 1 minute become 1 full round and one hour to become 1 minute this feat predated the artficer and was not desinged with any abuse that class might get from taking it but if it does not alter 1 minute and 1 hour spell then the feat is nearly usless for spells that have a casting time longer then 1 full round do to the number of spell that have odd casting time is like what 20 out of a 1000 maybe less and if the feat doesn't reduce 1 hour or 1 minute then what a waste of ink to even print that part the feat that now is only usful to summon spells.

P.S. it's seems to me that 1 minute and 1 hour are use as short hand for the sake of simpilcty

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads