Rappan Athuk: Ravage of The Unusual Heroes!

Ziona

First Post
Epilogue

The battlefield was a sea of swords and screams. Above the clashing of metal and bellows of anguish, Avangel had flown into the sky. As he reached the center of the bloody battle, the celestial elf called out to those below him.

“Minions of Grumstorg and The Goblin King…your masters have fallen this day!”

Dangling from Avangel’s fists were the severed heads of his enemies. As he dropped them onto the field below, the fighting ceased immediately. Orcs and goblins stepped forward, weapons dripping with blood, to see if what the winged elf said was true. After a few shocked moments of silence, the goblins and orcs began muttering things like, “Good Riddance” or “Not ‘Chosen One’ after all.”

Still hungry for battle and revenge, the minions of the fallen Trio of Evil began to growl and shove one another, angry at the slanderous words of their allies. Before the battle broke out between the orcs and goblins, however, the heroes began departing. The war was only slowed slightly by the sight of Doc Midnight riding on the back of an elephant with the Lumleys.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back in Waterdeep the heroes were welcomed joyously by the townsfolk. Surely their return meant the defeat of the evil Trio. However, the happy faces became solemn when they saw the bulk being hauled in by the elephant.

Shoving her way through the crowd anxiously, Sally made her way to the heroes with tears in her eyes. When the pregnant halfling saw Lox climbing off the elephant with Doc and Traps, the tears rolled down her cheeks in relief. Lox looked at her and hesitated a moment. It surprised him to see her somehow. No one had ever been so concerned for him before…her tears were for him, and he knew as she flung her arms around him that this was something special.

Ziona and Megara began speaking with the clerics that had arrived while Avangel and Gnettles explained their victory to Harpers who were eager to find out what happened. Dent and Doc unloaded the elephant’s burden solemnly and went to stand beside Ziona and Megara.

The mother and daughter told the clerics the names of those who had fallen in battle, and word spread quickly through the streets of Waterdeep whose lives were lost. Shock and sadness overcame many townsfolk as they heard the names. The clerics began making arrangements for the fallen heroes, figuring out who needed to be contacted regarding the deaths of those who had traveled from places like Icewind Dale and Ashabenford. Ziona and Megara had discussed Zellian’s death on the trip back to Waterdeep, and realized that they must make a decision.

Before the companions knew it, a feast and parade were being arranged in their honor. Those who needed rooms were given them free of charge, and they were welcomed to stay as long as they needed. Many still called them “Unusual Heroes,” but there were others who warmly called them “The Unusual Heroes of Waterdeep.” It seemed their unique abilities and heritages were becoming something the townsfolk were thankful for.

The next day, a few hours before the parade was scheduled to begin, Ziona and Rossal went to her Mother’s room at The Misty Beard. As the door to the room swung open, Ziona was greeted with a warm hug.

“How are you feeling, Father?”

“Wonderful, Ziona.”

Ziona followed Zellian into the room and sat down while Rossal flew over and nestled down in the pillow on the bed. It gave Ziona a warm feeling to see her Mother and Father embracing, almost as though nothing had ever happened. The night before, Ziona had prayed to Eilistraee and Resurrected Zellian, having decided with Megara that it would be for the best.

“Almost ready for the parade and the feast?” asked Megara.

“I suppose,” said Ziona. “Somehow it feels odd…you’ll be going back to Icewind Dale tomorrow, and that hardly seems worth celebrating.”

“You could come along and stay with us,” said Megara hopefully. “We could always use another traveling companion.”

“I cannot,” said Ziona. “I’ll be returning with the others to repay the desmodu Viday for his help in defeating the Trio. Besides, you will have Varr and Drizzt to guide you back.”

“Yes, you’re right,” said Zellian. “And I’m sure Bruenor and Catti-Brie will be happy to see them return.”

Ziona, blushing slightly, gave a sad smile and looked over to Rossal. The pseudodragon sat up and flew back to his friend, landing on her lap.

“We really should be going,” she said. “I have to get changed for the parade, as you no doubt must do. It is a blessing to have you back, Father.”

She gave her parents another hug, and with Rossal perched on her shoulder, went to her own room at the inn.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dent Masterson sat beneath a tree in the forest surrounding Waterdeep. His faithful companion Haley lay at his side, slumbering like a kitten. The half-elf had many emotions and thoughts fogging his mind the last few days, and found sanctity in the peaceful woodlands.

He went over the battle time and time again in his mind, thinking about The Goblin King, and came to grips with the fact that he had gotten his revenge on the wicked creature. He picked up the Masterson Axe and ran his finger across the cool blade, felt the grip of the weapon in his fist. The axe was now his. They had been avenged.

On the road back to Waterdeep, Dent had thought about what he would do next since he no longer had the burden of revenge to carry. Having thought about his future more since he had arrived back in Waterdeep, he decided that he would begin researching his Elven heritage. He felt thirsty for knowledge and felt that the elves would help him quench that thirst.

The half-elf patted the sleeping tiger, and she rumbled slightly.

“I think we’re going to go for a trip, Haley.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lox Lumley fidgeted nervously. He was sweating slightly and his hands shook. His mouth felt dry, and his heart pounded so furiously, it felt as thought it would burst through his chest.

Lox Lumley was going to propose.

The stressed halfling walked up to Sally’s door and took a deep breath. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the tiny, leather-bound box. He opened it and peeked inside, making certain the ring was still there.

“It’s so sparkly and shiny,” he thought to himself.

He closed the box and tucked it away in his belt pouch when he heard Sally stirring within the cottage. After another deep breath, Lox knocked. The door swung open and there stood Sally, blonde hair in braids, her hand resting on her belly.

“Hullo, Sally.”

“Oh, hullo, Lox!”

Sally opened the door wider to let him in. Lox ran his fingers through his hair nervously and then stuck his hands in his pockets when he noticed the shaking again.

“What are you doing here right now, Lox? The parade isn’t for another hour or so,” said Sally.

She was wearing the new flowery dress she had bought for the parade, which Lox asked her to accompany him to.

“Well, Sally,” he said stammering. “I was thinking…I mean, I thought I would come over early and talk to you.”

“Okay,” said Sally. “Whattaya wanna talk about, Lox?”

“Well, uh…you see Sally, I was thinking…”

Lox paused for a moment, picturing the sparkly gem on the ring in his head. He bit his lip, and smiled awkwardly.

“Maybe you should sit down,” he said.

Sally had seen Lox act strangely before, but this time she was starting to worry.

“Is something wrong? Everything is okay, isn’t it Lox?”

Lox was looking at her round belly, which was noticeable in the dress. He looked at her and smiled.

“Sally, everything is fine,” he said, his voice shaking. “I just came here today to…to ask you…to…oh, uh…” He fumbled with his belt pouch then pulled forth the box and opened it. “Sally, will you be my wife?”

Sally squealed with girlish delight, then jumped up from her seat and flung her arms around Lox. She kissed his cheek, then looked at the sparkly ring.

“Of course, Lox. It’s beautiful,” she said happily.

Lox took the ring from the box and slid it on her finger. He kissed her forehead and rubbed her belly gently, and said, “That’s mine!”

The Adventure Continues…

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post
Thank you very much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the patience all of you have had.

The next part of our adventure takes us into The City of the Spider Queen. Xaltar & I are thinking that a new thread will be appropriate for the start of the new adventure, so look for it soon!

Thanks again, Z ;)

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Thanks to you for a wonderful story, Ziona.

And please, don't forget posting here the link to the new thread when it will begin!

Remove ads