D&D 5E Rary's Telepathic Bond - can some members talk privately

Can some members of a Rary's Telepathic bond communicate without the others knowing it?

• Yes, any subgroup can talk privately.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, all the members at the original casting of the spell are always included.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Other, explained below.

Votes: 1 6.7%

greg kaye

Explorer
In fact, while casters may still be struggling to cope with higher-level spells, they could have developed increased proficiency with their lower-level spells which they might then be able to cast with increased flexibility.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Definitely no RAW support for either interpretation, so it's going to be a table call. I'd go with allowing point-to-point, simply because it is a 5th level spell. I could also see an interpretation that point-to-point is allowed, but the caster of the spell can't be excluded (because they're the "relay").

Much like you can lower your voice to talk to just one person in a room containing 8 people, the same can be done with telepathy, if you so choose. I mean, that's how I'd rule on it.

greg kaye

Explorer
Comms are open. I'd take it just like a group phone call or like zoom or discord but without a direct messaging facility which the spell does not describe.

Remove ads