• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate Avatar (James Cameron)

Rate Avatar

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 9 9.0%

Votes: 14 14.0%

Votes: 25 25.0%

Votes: 31 31.0%

Votes: 8 8.0%

Joker

First Post
Technically and visually stunning. It is a visceral experience, nothing more. I came out having enjoyed myself which for me was the goal.

However, full immersion is hard to experience when you're aware of the goggles on your face. And I've always found it a bit jarring when you go from a live-action to a completely CGI shot. The knowledge of it being "more fake" takes me out of the experience.

Still, it's worth seeing. It is without a doubt one of the prettiest films I've seen in a while.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I saw the 2d version.

Very, very pretty, to the point of visually stunning. And it isn't cheaping out at 90 minutes - you are there for a solid two and a half hours.

Are there plot and science holes? Of course! And the morals of the story are applied with sledgehammer subtlety - but that's from the point of view of someone who's seen a lot of movies, and read a lot of stories with similar messages. Someone who hasn't seen as many won't feel so beaten over the head. And, honestly, it is good messages, and sometimes we ought to be beaten over the head with them, so I don't find that too big a flaw.

An enjoyable experience. Worth seeing. Not Great Art, and it doesn't "change filmmaking" except in technical senses, but a solid evening's entertainment.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
I enjoyed as well, just got back from seeing the 3D verison.

And the 2 hours and 40 minutes, went by, very fast...no drag.

A mighty 8.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
10 is clearly overrating, it simply has some areas where it is lacking (the story, for example), but a 9 seems fair enough. :)

Bye
Thanee

8 here. I expected mediocrity with prettiness. Instead I got two average acts, and a truly excellent final act (plus prettiness). Since I often complain about how much people drop the ball on movies' final acts, I'm very satisfied with what I got.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I really enjoyed it. Visually it was jaw-dropping. The plot was very familiar but still executed skillfully. Like Roger Ebert said, at least there is one person in Hollywood who knows what to do with 300 million dollars.

I give it a 9.
[sblock]
Known Story? Yeah, maybe this is like Winnetou, Dancing with Wolves or similar movies. That said, these movies were kinda succesful when they first came out and mostly had their story and acting for them going.
No intriguing special effects, right?

Since I never saw the aforementioned, Avatar is a very decent way to be introduced in this "same old" story. ;)

That said, there are lots of interesting "Sci-Fi" stuff in that movie, too.
Basically, the planet is an example of "organic technology" without genetic manipulation.
It seems every living creature has a organic USB dataport that they can use to connect with each other. As a result, there is a kind of "world conciousness", linking all life on the planet together. The myths of the "Noble Wild" in Avatar are not simply cute superstition, they are real. And they are great science fiction material.
[/sblock]

catsclaw227

First Post
I gave it a 9, and I really think the 3d was done well (as well as I have ever seen). Sometimes you felt a bit of a 3d jar, but mostly it was done well with excellent visual depth provided in some subtle ways.

The story was solid, writing was good, acting was good, a very few minor holes, but overall a great experience.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads