Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Average ***

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Not Great **

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terrible *

Votes: 1 1.8%

\
  1. One, two, or three pieces of bad art (which I personally don't agree with) does not make the entirety of the art in the book terrible as @Ruin Explorer seemed to suggest, and perhaps you are suggesting.
That's not what I'm suggesting. There's more, I just don't see why I should have to personally point out every piece of bad art when you asked for an example?

I'm glad you like it. Its good that you're able to enjoy this art. I personally think it is absolutely god aweful in countless pieces, and the other pieces are at bet average, with very few going above that. I don't feel the need to debate about this. You can like the art. That's fine. Doesn't change my opinion that this book's art is terrible and completely fails to achieve an artistic vision for Eberron.

EDIT: To better clarify my position, I can name a load of books with some bad art but overall fantastic artistic direction. The original Dark Sun books, Planescape, even Al-Qadim and Maztica (who are generally pretty art bare). In a modern day product, with a budget as big as WotC, I expect better. Ravnica reuses Magic art, but its literally Magic the setting. I can accept Eberron reusing art, but the original Eberron art, save for the Wayne pieces, are all over the place. Why can't a book as high value as Eberron afford more, new Wayne art? Why can't it afford a more singular artistic vision?

Currently, I'm working on a book that just finished funding on Kickstarter. Me and the artist have ensured to have a high quality and unified artistic vision on it. Other books, like Kobold Press's stuff, many Pathfinder books, Absolute Tabletop's products, etc, all manage this on a shoe string budget compared to what WotC have. I expect that these books - filled with lore and fantastic gameplay materials - provide me equally fantastic art that I can show my players to inspire the world. That is not too much to ask from WotC. THey've done it before. They can do it again.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
That's not what I'm suggesting. There's more, I just don't see why I should have to personally point out every piece of bad art when you asked for an example?

I'm glad you like it. Its good that you're able to enjoy this art. I personally think it is absolutely god aweful in countless pieces, and the other pieces are at bet average, with very few going above that. I don't feel the need to debate about this. You can like the art. That's fine. Doesn't change my opinion that this book's art is terrible and completely fails to achieve an artistic vision for Eberron.
Of course we can agree to disagree, art is subjective after all! I do think the "awful" statement is extreme, but you are completely free to hyperbolic if you want. I'm just more mellow in general I guess :)

EDIT: To better clarify my position, I can name a load of books with some bad art but overall fantastic artistic direction. The original Dark Sun books, Planescape, even Al-Qadim and Maztica (who are generally pretty art bare). In a modern day product, with a budget as big as WotC, I expect better. Ravnica reuses Magic art, but its literally Magic the setting. I can accept Eberron reusing art, but the original Eberron art, save for the Wayne pieces, are all over the place. Why can't a book as high value as Eberron afford more, new Wayne art? Why can't it afford a more singular artistic vision?
I can agree with you a more singular vision could be nice, but I don't want anymore WAR please. I am a bit tired of his art. I like the general direction of 5e art better; however, I don't anticipate such a focused singular vision in WotC products. They seem to like to spread it around and give their artists some freedom to riff. I can respect that, but I think some unifying theme can suffer from that choice.

Currently, I'm working on a book that just finished funding on Kickstarter. Me and the artist have ensured to have a high quality and unified artistic vision on it. Other books, like Kobold Press's stuff, many Pathfinder books, Absolute Tabletop's products, etc, all manage this on a shoe string budget compared to what WotC have. I expect that these books - filled with lore and fantastic gameplay materials - provide me equally fantastic art that I can show my players to inspire the world. That is not too much to ask from WotC. THey've done it before. They can do it again.
I don't know the D&D art budget or the Paizo art budget, but I am betting they are similar andI personally find a lot of the art in PF2e (specifically the Bestiary) sub-par. I know I was disappointed. But you know what - others love it! That is just the way if goes with art.

Weiley31

Legend
The Steel Defender art,and how adorable/friendly it looks compared to the Iron Defender, in the Battlesmith section makes me want to make a Basset Hound Steel Defender.

Remove ads