• Average ***

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Not Great **

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terrible *

Votes: 1 1.8%

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Just my personal opinion as an Eberron DM in a 5e campaign, and having played and DMed 5e since release, but Artificer is pretty ridiculous. At 10th level, they can attune up to 4 items, at 14th level, 5 items (ignoring requirements, by the way), and at 18th level, 6 items can be attuned. Attunement is a huge balance equalizer in 5e...honestly surprised the designers allowed this. On the other hand, many of their infusions, which are Artificer-created permanent magic items, require Attunement.

Funny thing you can do: infuse an item, have your high-Charisma Deception-proficient friend sell it to a shop keeper or other buyer, then walk away. Shop Keeper can Identify it via normal means (spell or short rest), and see that it appears to be a normal item. Then, infuse an item over your Infused Item limit, expiring the oldest infusion you just sold, leaving the buyer with a mundane item.

Otherwise, great book from what I read so far and nice to see it updated for 5e.

That depends largely on your style of play.

I have never seen anyone hit the limit. We use the treasure hoards system from the DMG. The party might have 1 attunement item per character by mid to high levels.

The Artificer may change that of course, but until I see it in play that seems okay.

I don't care about Eberron so I voted based on how I like the Artificer.

Seems mostly well designed on paper. Unfortunately I don't like the Alchemist which is my favourite theme. The Artillerist and the pet one seem fun though and I have good minis for both so I could see them ending up in play and being a fun addition to a party.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I keep finding weird errors/design choices. Like the fact that wand sheaths will share an attunement slot with their contents, but armblades will not.
The wandsheath has always been that way, the wandsheath doesn't really do a whole lot other than free your hand. The armblade is a common magic weapon that sells for 50-100gp. As a magic weapon, it cuts through the resistance of most creatures.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Could you elaborate on that brah?
I expect Rising from the Last War has a lot to live up to with a lot riding on its shoulders.

Primarily the adventure generation material, along with the overall aesthetic and writing (the newspaper clippings are killer). It's the next evolutionary step forward from what they've done so far.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I voted good, but would have voted excellent except WotC once again relies too much on reprinted material.

<Snip>

WotC does some really good work, but they can be lazy sometimes.

Not to derail the thread, but I disagree. I used to think the same, but as I began publishing I was stuck with a similar problem: if I am publishing Book X that needs/requires/encourages players to have or use material from Book Y, which is already out, is it a worse crime to reprint the relevant material or force them to buy another book?

I vote B - forcing someone to buy another (non-core) book to use the material is the worse option. So reprints don't bother me much.

The 3.x tactic of ever-increasing font sizes to reduce overall word count/content? Now, that's an unforgivable sin. :)

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Not to derail the thread, but I disagree. I used to think the same, but as I began publishing I was stuck with a similar problem: if I am publishing Book X that needs/requires/encourages players to have or use material from Book Y, which is already out, is it a worse crime to reprint the relevant material or force them to buy another book?

I vote B - forcing someone to buy another (non-core) book to use the material is the worse option. So reprints don't bother me much.

The 3.x tactic of ever-increasing font sizes to reduce overall word count/content? Now, that's an unforgivable sin. :)

That actually goes to my belief that anything that has to keep getting reprinted, should have been in the PHB in the first place.

Remove ads