• Not Great **

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terrible *

Votes: 1 1.8%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Think I've said it before, but the art was great & the people railing against it seem to be quite the minority. Art is subjective & you can't please everybody; Eberron having a different artistic ascetic than FR makes a large amount of sense, I immagine that if we ever see a darksun book that there will be a different art style there as well.

As to the Greater Dragonmark slapfight, it's not the big deal that some people are making it out to be & requires a bit of history to put into perspective. Eberron does not go through huge metaplot overhauls like the spellplague/sundering/death of assassin god & assassins/etc to justify system changes from edition to edition. The year is "998 YK The Present: Your Adventure Begins.. " & interpretations of things change to fit the system (despite some of what happened in 4e, that's he intended course). Back in 3.5 you'd get an absurd number of feats & had things like feat chains/bonus feats. 5e Condenses the feat changes into much more powerful feats & gives way less feats. Having the Greater dragonmark as a feat was kind of a throwback to the 3.5 days both in terms of what it did & how you got it but the feat was kind of pointless outside of some very specific & frankly subjective build choices. Now saying "I have a least/lesser/greater/etc dragonmark, that's why I can..." is more of a role playing choice like like "my warlock made a pact with $specificThing & gains power because of that". To be completely honest, greater dragonmark as it was was not a very great feat choice, it gave +1 to a stat, raised your intuition die by a notch (ranged from ribbon tokinda useful from mark to mark), & gave you two spells that you could cast 1/(usually) long rest.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
4. The art direction very, very, very heavily hamstrings the book; to me, its defining aesthetic is non-existent, the cover is weak, and the quality of the non-reprinted art is overall terrible.

I don't get this. I don't know what is new and what is not, but non of the art is terrible. If you have a specific piece you think is terrible, please point it out and why. And the alt-cover is fantastic!

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I don't get this. I don't know what is new and what is not, but non of the art is terrible. If you have a specific piece you think is terrible, please point it out and why. And the alt-cover is fantastic!
The alternative cover may be beautiful, but the main cover is only decent, in my opinion. It's two figures on a backdrop... not too stunning in my book.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Shifter, p. 319.
He's shifted, were you expetcing him to look like the thing fighting Gaston onMM206? It's a generic cr 1/2 martial shifter not Rotting Bal or The shifter carmen sandiego

There's plenty of artwork for unshifted shifters if I want to show that in a noncombat situation.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think the quality of the content is good from what I've read on Dnd beyond thanks to the campaign content sharing. If it is anything like wayfarers guide though, then the physical book is likely going to have a few errors (like the chart on crafting items stills says it takes 20 work weeks to create a legendary item when it should be 50).

Even though I got the wayfarers guide I'm not really into Eberron and I don't think there is much in there that I'd use for my campaigns so I'll likely give the book a miss, but maybe pick up some of the races and subclasses separately on DnD beyond.

dave2008

Legend
Shifter, p. 319.
I don't particularly like the design, but the art is quite good I think. I don't see any issue with this one. What don't you like?

EDIT: To clarify, if find that art objectively good, but subjectively I don't like the design - specifically the face / nose

Last edited:

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
The alternative cover may be beautiful, but the main cover is only decent, in my opinion. It's two figures on a backdrop... not too stunning in my book.
See, I was the other way. When I was Dragon's Lair here in San Antonio, I held the two of them together to compare them.

I thought the alternate cover was kinda washed out with all the black and muted colors. Didn't appeal to me.

On the other hand, the bright colors of the regular cover made my eyes snap to it. I especially like that there is a Warforged front and center on the cover and the art style really clicked.
Shifter, p. 319.
Again, I don't see a problem with the picture. Is it his grimace/growl? Because I don't see anything else it could be. I like it for the most part.

Voort

Explorer
I keep finding weird errors/design choices. Like the fact that wand sheaths will share an attunement slot with their contents, but armblades will not.

Remove ads