D&D 3E/3.5 Rate the 3E Eberron Books Best for 5E Use

Reynard

Legend
I am currently running a kind of casual Eberron campaign using the Wayfinder's Guide and the 3E ECS as a base. I think the game is going to get less casual soon, with deeper dives into Eberron lore and politics and such. I am interested in knowing which of the 3E books are best for use with 5E, which probably translates to "more fluff, less mechanics" but I'll leave that distinction up to you.

Aside #1: I am curious about whether to get Morgrave's Miscellany as well.Is it a worthwhile supplement to the Wayfinder's Guide?

Aside #3: ALso I am interested in reading some of the novels. Which are the best ones?

Thanks!

Bolares

Hero
side #1: I am curious about whether to get Morgrave's Miscellany as well.Is it a worthwhile supplement to the Wayfinder's G

The subclasses are dissapointing, the lore is nothing new... I'd get it only if interested in the rules for aberrant marks and Syberis marks.

Aside #3: ALso I am interested in reading some of the novels. Which are the best ones?
The Dreaming Dark and The Thorn of Breland series, by Keith Baker are great.

ps: where is your aside 2? hahaha

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm using all the D&D 3e and 4e books as sources for my Eberron game, plus the Eberron wikis you can Google up which is faster than thumbing through books, plus it cross-references the books or Dragon issues. So that's nice since you can see which book you need to grab to read up on the full info.

I even converted some of the adventures, but since most published adventures are in my opinion terrible, I've had to hack them up to make them playable while maintaining something of the adventure's theme.

Bolares

Hero
I did not play much 4E. What's the quality of the 4E Eberron stuff relative to the ECS?
There are really good things relating to eladrin, gnomes and the feyspires... lore on the aberrant marks is expanded too, bringing the infamous Son of Khyber as a new interesting NPC. But the maps are of big importance, at least to me

TheSword

Legend
So I’m converting the Runelords trilogy to Eberron and 5e (Rise of the Runelords, Shattered Star, Return of the Runelords).

Sandpoint and some elements of Magnimar are Sharn

The Irespan, Hook Mountain, Xin shalast and Jormungundr are all on Xendrick

The Runelords are giants of ancient Eberron.

Some tinkering required but a lot seems to fit naturally. The good news is that factions have been plundering Xendrick for years allowing other power groups to be involved.

For instance House Cannith has brought back one of Alaznists Runewells and installed it underneath their glass foundry in Sharn.

NB. You are right though the Eberron published adventure were dire quality.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Also: which, if any, of the 5E adventures works best converted to Eberron? Which ones don't fit at all?

I’ve heard that Tomb of Annihilation can fit into Eberron easily enough. Just make the Death Curse be affecting the Undying Court, as they would be really, really interested in shutting it off.
Don’t have the hardcover myself, so I can’t say for sure.

Princes of the Apocalypse has an entire appendix devoted just to placing the adventure in Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Eberron, and Greyhawk.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
On novels, Keith Baker's Dreaming Dark Trilogy and Thorn of Breland Series are great as recommended. I'm very partial to Don Bassingthwaite's Dragon Below Trilogy and Legacy of Dhaakan Trilogy.

Baker obviously has a handle on what Eberron, he sets the stage for the Quori and weirdness there very well, and Thorn sets up the intrigue part very well.

Bassingthwaite uses the same characters between all six novel, with Dragon Below coming first and dealing with daelkyr and resulting cults, while Legacy of Dhaakan is about Darguun and the political machinations there. Both trilogies feature the follow core characters: Geth a shifter fight, who fought in the last war; Ashi a human born to a daelkyr cult, with the Syberis Mark of the Sentinel; and Ekhaas a hobgoblin dirgesinger (if classed in 3.X a bard) that is actually loyal to Dhaakani tradition. The first trilogy also has Singe a House Deneith wizard who has past history with a Geth, and Dandra a kalashtar psion who is more than she seems.

On source books, I'm looking at Five Nations and Sharn: City of Towers. Both are excellent, Sharn is super specific, but it is highly detailed. Other than monsters, I don't recall any new mechanical widgets really.

Last edited:

Remove ads