D&D 3E/3.5 Rate the 3E Eberron Books Best for 5E Use

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Will you be delving into any particular regions of Eberron, or remaining on Khorvaire?

I've a special place in my heart for City of Stormreach and Secrets of Xendrik, which I think you can relatively painlessly adapt Tomb of Annihilation into Eberron, a lot of those books are about lore, points of interest, mysteries, and on ideas you might run with for your games.

If you're remaining on Khorvaire, I'd suggest Sharn, City of Towers and Five Nations. Five Nations in particular is great at fleshing out the personality, cuisine, politics, religion, culture of the Five Nations.

Give me a chance to get back to my books and I'd try to give you a more detailed take.

If you're running a campaign that will utilize Sharn, I highly recommend: Sharn: City of Towers from 3e. It's a great resource book in my 5e Eberron campaign based in Sharn.

+1 also for Dreaming Dark series of novels.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The 3E Eberron books I'd recommend as having the most useful information (that expands greatly upon stuff in the ECS) is Five Nations, Dragonmarked, and Faiths of Eberron (with an additional plug for Sharn: City of Towers if you intend on having your campaign there.)

The other ones, Dragons of, Races of, and Magic of do not seem to me to have as much readily usable story stuff. Sure there might be some character creation material found within that might intrigue someone, but I find the setting itself to make use of all the Player's Handbook material so well that additional bits do not feel as necessary.

That being said... the one thing I liked about 5E's Morgrave Miscellany on DMs Guild is that they do a really nice job of connecting specific groups, nations, and organizations within the Eberron to specific classes and subclasses. This really helps drive the fluff (of the subclasses especially) home. Rather than anybody and everybody across the nation having Eldritch Knights... they highlight these different groups that specifically have Eldritch Knights, and what in means being an Eldritch Knight within that organization. Or if a players asks "Hey, if I want to play a College of Whispers bard, where would I find them?", you can find groups specifically written to have Whisper bards, and what their reason for existence is within those organizations. That specificity I find really helps players understand the world, and getting these organizations and group involved help narrow down the focus of your campaign (cause goodness knows there's a crap-ton of stuff, enemies, and stories that could easily spread a game too thin if you tried to hit them all.)

Remove ads