• 7 *******

Votes: 53 20.8%
  • 8 ********

Votes: 101 39.6%
  • 9 *********

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • 10 **********

Votes: 19 7.5%

I gave it an 8. Going in the buzz I heard was moderately positive. The movie was a little better than I expected and much better than I feared. It was well-cast and accurately captured what a D&D session might look like if it was turned into a feature film. As a dedicated caster player I loved the visual depiction of spell effects.

It wasn't a perfect film -- the pacing lagged in a few places and some of the jokes didn't land. But the bar for the next D&D film is now set high. As opposed to the embarrassingly low bar after that 2000 film that shall not be named.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Gave it a 7. The first act had enough rough patches through the editing process that I couldn't see myself going higher... even if I did understand and enjoy all the D&D and Faerun references to trigger my pleasure sensors.

But once the paladin shows up in the 2nd act though (best character in the movie IMO), the film kicks into high gear and it's really a lot of fun from that point.

(One thing I'll say is that the opening scene and flashbacks of this film in Icewind Dale trying to get the backstory taken care of really drives home just how utterly successful Peter Jackson was with the opening prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring. That prologue with Blanchett did so much in such a short amount of time to set up the film that I can't help but compare any other movie to it that tries to do the same thing. And unfortunately, the "prologue" of Honor Among Thieves just didn't have the momentum to kickstart the film nearly as well which is part of the reason the first act felt clunky to me.)

A solid 8.
I normally go to the cinema by myself at friday noon on opening day so I get the screen almost to myself at the first showing.
D&D was half full. Never happens. Bodes well.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I gave it 7 points more than I thought I would.

Meaning a solid 7!

And I was totally ready to drag it and be mad about it. Shocked. Just shocked.

I thought the dialogue was a little iffy here and there and did not understand the accent choice in a place or two but minor quibbles.

They did…shockingly…well. Eating my words.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases